Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Alleykat

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Alleykat - Honda Ruckus FULL build

I copied and pasted this from the Ruckus forum.I edited a few things since not all of their terms will be understood here.None the less the pics will speak for themselves.

This is the story of a Honda 50cc scooter getting turned into a fully customized 150cc swapped 65+mph mini monster.

I finally have a good amount of pics saved so figured I would post it now.

Late last year a new member on here contacted me about hooking up his Ruck with a couple of my products,mainly a fatty kit.He lived about 4 hours away from Houston but still made the trip so I could give his bike a overhaul.Since I didn't want him making double trips I setup a plan.Bring it to me early and plan a day out in the town.He got here about noon and was leaving around 5-6pm.

His Ruck was brought to me as a 2009 with a Yoshi exhaust,led tail and a footbrace.

2lsbmsz

This was a couple hours into it.Me and my bro were running around non stop to get it done and have him on his way back home promptly.

nefigj

And done son.

99kncw

I had installed a AK fatty kit,Keihin pc20 big carb,chopped his bars and seat frame,belt & variator and rewelded his Yoshi header to clear the new wheel.

He was very happy with the outcome and we kept in touch on the forum and thru txt.A couple of months later he contacted me again but this time he had big news.He wanted to rebuild his bike but this time with a whole list of new parts he was about to order.One thing lead to another and before we knew it it was decided to just build the Ruck from the frame out.

This would be my 1st FULL ruck build for a customer.Hence were the name "Project Alpha" came from....number 1.

Not long after our talk Dustin was on his way back to Houston for the drop off.Once here we discussed things a little further.Only thing was I didn't agree with everything. It was just too...simple! Whatever Dustin suggested I would "edit" it so it could be just a little bit more unique.In the end we came up with the best agreement ever.He simply told me "if you think it will look good just do it." And thats were it started!

Instead of leaving it at the shop I took it home so I could work on it as soon as I woke up.I was in the zone and didn't even realize how quick I took it apart.Out went that 50cc to make room for the new 150cc air cooled engine.Top speed should be around 65-70mph,fully automatic tranny.

soxy1h

Right away my brother got to work on the rear frame.This is with absolutely NO grinding done to it to clean up the welds.Notice the mig beads are straight as an arrow.

30ry78j

To start things off it got..
-integrated seat
-bobbed tail
-changed out front cross bar to tubing to match the frame
-weld on mount for the new 150cc "gy6" motor

Im impatient so I set out the new wheels to get a visual.

1673t5i

Screw doing a seat cover on the stock seat,we just went ahead and started a new seat pan out of metal.That rear tire sucked to get it to bead.

353cmdy

New front disc brake setup & bars.
2j166i8

29pwys1

I swapped out the stator on the new gy6 engine and also started on the placement of the tail light.Notice the hole in the rear frame.
2z5jipj

Yep its integrated literally INTO the rear frame.

2ive44y

Got his carbon Yoshi in the mail and made a custom header for it.
2iw3u6d

New headlight came in too! This thing is a freakin beast.Super huge LED's made in the USA not some china made junk.

161kepl

Next I figured the motor needed to be started up to make sure everything was in good order.I laid out the wiring and fired it up exactly like it is in this pic.

2qdqv48

Notice my VERY custom table to hold it up. ^^^

I was getting ready to give in and order a nice $$$ bike table.I always order stuff on Sundays so it can be shipped out on Monday.So I went out Saturday night and got TRASHED.I wake up at noon and walk into the garage only to find this.

vyo0g1

^ while I was sleeping my brother had whipped up a table out of square tubing.He woke up that day and got right to it.I was really surprised how fast he got it done.

It was time to make a shock mount since this new shock was eye to eye style.I got out my construction paper and started drawing out a stencil.Once I got it right we cut it out by hand with my plasma cutter.I like how it follows the little humps on the motor.Put on some upper tabs as temps while I think of something better.

25iuhc6

Added a little flair to it.
2d763yo

Couldn't go on with a custom build without messing with the front frame so once again i got my construction paper to make a template.Hand plasma cut the piece of aluminum then it got welded onto the front frame.

r296x3

Now there is a ton of nice builds out there but 1 thing that bothers me is the dam kickstands.They look so out of place and take away from the whole look.Why settle for simply bolting it on? Thats just not being creative at all.

Ugly...
121rb15

I got the idea...

thought it out........

started cutting............

and out came an AK integrated kickstand! Also shortened of course.

14o11te

Next we redid the header since I got my new bender in and we ditched the old one with pie cuts to go for a smoother look.

bhhypw

NOW it was time for a completely custom 1 off footbrace.Originally intended for my own Ruck but we decided to use it on this one.Customers first,my own Ruck last.

My original floater idea in the beginning stages.

vfw9pw

Adding pegs.

16b12qv

Pushed it out of the garage so it could get some sun.

wkramf

So far it has...

-AK Garage custom shaved front frame
-AK Garage custom weld on mounts
-AK Garage custom rear frame
-AK Garage custom seat pan
-AK Garage custom stainless steel header
-AK Garage custom foot brace
-AK Garage custom integrated kickstand
-AK Garage custom integrated LED tail
-AK Garage custom shock mount

-Yoshi carbon muffler
-Rigid industries LED headlight
-12x7 Rear 5 star fatty
-Daytona 5 star front wheel
-Daytona front hub
-DanMaxusa rear hub
-ATR harness
-ATR triple tree
-ATR front disc kit
-rPro handlebars
-GY6 150cc swap
-Fox shock

Its still far from over but thats all the pics I have for now.A lot of them are cell phone pics cause my digi cam I had just bought went out.Its getting repaired under warranty and is taking forever.Well a better camera wont make you a better builder/welder,etc so who cares.

There is still more fab work to be done,more parts to add.I will post updates as soon as they happen.Just wanted to share whats getting brewed by 2 guys in a house garage.

-Alex
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Ruckus Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-22-2013 02:45 PM
Custom Honda Ruckus 50cc Build #2 Alleykat General Discussion (Moto Related) 89 07-19-2010 12:23 AM
info Honda Ruckus arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-20-2006 07:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Alleykat

Reserved for later updates
Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Alleykat

Reserved for later updates #2.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
How much does something like this cost $$$?
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

very very nice! Your brother does indeed have mad welding skills and you have the eye for mechanical art, good combo.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

VERY nice! keep the updates coming.
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
flamablanca
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
01 Gixxa 1K

User is banned

flamablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

yo! You've come a long way with the rucks since you first came out on the scene! Good to know you have a plasma cutter now. I'm getting tired of cutting stuff with my chopsaw and grinder.

Can you hit me up with some good sources for steel? I keep purchasing the overpriced home depot stuff.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

king of the Ruckus customs!! Have you ever worked on other bikes? I may want you to do something on my TW200 subframe, your work is top notch, cant wait to see it finished!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Alleykat

Well dam since i've posted threads under "bikes for sale" I was used to having the option to edit my thread hence why I put reserved posts.Can a mod just delete those then?

Also for whatever reason 1 of the links is not working already of the kickstand in stock form.Here it is again.

161nv5c
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
How much does something like this cost $$$?
Well to start things off I should tell you what a shop in California quoted him for a "custom" build.I put that word in quotations because their version of custom is throw on nice paint while only doing some mickey mouse minimal welding and the rest bolt on parts.Their quote was $14k and 1 year to finish it.Now that is NOT what hes spending with me.

Basically what I told him is order everything he wanted and we'll do the rest.Now this is just like any other bike were you can buy a $180 HMF muffler or go out and buy a $1k termigoni setup.There is name brand stuff and this owner did buy that.

$500 - gy6 150cc motor - a 125cc version can be had for about $300
$320 - handlebars cause they're cnc - you can get bars as low as $50
$680 - front disc setup with triple tree - other brands as low as $400
$450 - front wheel & hub - no way to go cheaper on this.Front disc kit comes with a wheel but he wanted matching wheels.
$120 - rear shock made for dirtbike - some as low as $50
$240 - Yoshi exhaust for dirtbike - lots of price variations here
$200 - plug and play harness for new motor -cheapest its gonna get
$70 - aftermarket side kickstand
$330 - LED headlight - you can get a headlight WAY cheaper but this was the ultimate one we found and he didn't wanna spare anything.
$80 - LED tail light
$140 - tires - you can get cheaper but the rear he got a German race tire front is a dunlop tt92,expensive by tire standards
$3,130 ^ total but im sure im forgetting little bits and pieces here and there.

The rest is just labor cost and cost of parts that were doing by hand like the foot brace and 1pc frame,etc.

If I had to cap it off after its all done he will prob be spending like $5-6k after custom paint,powdercoating lots of things,wire tuck thru frame,all the custom work,parts he paid for and labor included,blah blah blah.Still less than half of his California quote and i've only had this for not even 2 months! No way I would take a year to finish it.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
very very nice! Your brother does indeed have mad welding skills and you have the eye for mechanical art, good combo.
Thanks Tim we defintely work hand in hand.I'll be taking you bits of this bike soon.The wheels for sure will be gloss black.Owner is still undecided on everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg View Post
VERY nice! keep the updates coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamablanca View Post
badass work man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
yo! You've come a long way with the rucks since you first came out on the scene! Good to know you have a plasma cutter now. I'm getting tired of cutting stuff with my chopsaw and grinder.

Can you hit me up with some good sources for steel? I keep purchasing the overpriced home depot stuff.
What can I say im a fast learner.lol.

About the steel go to triple S http://sss-steel.com/steel-products/...steel-products

One thing to remember is they sell everything in 20 feet minimums so bring a truck.They cut it in half for you tho right off the bat.We dont have a truck so we have been putting the rear seat down in my bros civic 4dr and it goes from dash to trunk.

If you want stainless go to PAC stainless. http://pacstainless.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
king of the Ruckus customs!! Have you ever worked on other bikes? I may want you to do something on my TW200 subframe, your work is top notch, cant wait to see it finished!
The Ruckus is just what we attend to the most but metal is metal so if you have an idea bring it on.

Whenever we get some freetime I wanna build a old school Honda mini bike,which someone beat me to a $200 on craigslist last week!! My bro wants a cafe racer project so he can chop up it all up.I bought a hydraulic pipe bender recently so making frame stuff is much easier.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Was he an asian dude? Seen a dude with one like this on westheimer. On a side note, why the all this for a ruckus? Are they good at something Im not aware of?
The asian guy you saw is prob my friend.His has a white one on 8 hole matching wheels with 150cc swap.

The guy getting this one built is actually a white guy.

And why all this for a Ruckus? No real reason,everyone has their likes and hobbies.Lots of people on the Ruck forum have real bikes too alongside their Rucks.One guy even has a Lamborghini,Porsche and Ducati but still has a swapped Ruckus too.

I've had several sportbikes which I liked all of them.When I ride my Ruck tho everyone is amazed by it when they see it in person.I cant count the times I have been stopped while riding and asked question after question about them.I have been pulled over by the police THREE TIMES just so they could check it out.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Was he an asian dude? Seen a dude with one like this on westheimer. On a side note, why the all this for a ruckus? Are they good at something Im not aware of?
Being married, I cannot provide true factual evidence, but, I think I could pull more chicks on the ruck than my sportbike or supermoto....

at least outside of the bar, i've let BigComfy take some bar darts for a ride on it....you know that has to account for some actual data. He wasn't gonna do it without the scoot! Lol

EDIT: Since Alex posted above, I have to agree. I have more fun on the street cruising around on my ruck than I do on the sumo or sportbike without the need for a lot of self control. I've only been pulled over once on the ruck, and I think the guy was more curious than anything....eventually (a couple miles later after tailing me) got me for expired tags.

Last edited by hotnanas; 01-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Beautiful work as always Alleykat Your work & creativity have put a spotlight on Houston when it comes to Ruckus scene! Any plans for expansion in the future, ie: Honda Metros or other scooters?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
Beautiful work as always Alleykat Your work & creativity have put a spotlight on Houston when it comes to Ruckus scene! Any plans for expansion in the future, ie: Honda Metros or other scooters?
Houston has had several people on the forefront of the ruckus scene....he just brought over the HI & JDM crowd. There were some people around making these fatties and extensions and test/tuners, but a lot of people stop at one off items instead of mass producing them.

The cool thing about the ruck and the met is a lot of stuff will swap out fairly easily.

When I finally get back around to it, I have plans for a 250 or 450 (whichever motor I can track down and score the best price on) thumper, 4 or 5-speed, auto ruck.

Last edited by hotnanas; 01-10-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

...a better thought would be to track down the motor and drop everything off to Alex! I just hope that everything settles into place shortly and I can free up some time (construction on house, baby due any day, dirtbike motor needing assembly, missing dirt races, and my list goes on and on). The AK Garage might be the best route.