MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
makushr1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Selling my Bike

Alright, so my bike just sold on ebay and I've never sold a vehicle before, so I'm looking for a little guidance. The guy who bought it live in TN, and I live here in H town. Once I receive the money (via paypal) and it clears the back (3-4 days), he's going to send a truck to pick it up. What all do I need to send to him? Do I simply mail him the title, or do I need to do more than that? DMV?

Thanks for your help.
makushr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
selling bike and what to do Silvertaco General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-08-2015 10:27 AM
need some help selling my bike.. Kodak General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 04-19-2013 03:16 PM
When selling a bike... mrceotri Off Topic 6 08-27-2009 12:31 PM
If you were selling your bike...would this..... cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 05-21-2008 12:14 PM
Selling himself or the bike? therky42 Off Topic 11 10-13-2006 04:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here is the most cautious you can be.....

Paypal can reverse transactions well after you think they are a done deal, found this our first hand. Make sure that the funds are in your BANK, and call Paypal to be sure the transaction cannot be reversed for any reason, period.

Call the buyer when the transporter arrives and confirm with the buyer that the transport company is the approved company. The buyer will then not be able to dispute that you shipped the bike with his consent. Get signed paperwork from the driver.

Keep the title with you, give the transporter a couple of copies as well as copies of the bill of sale.

Send the title after it all has cleared and the bike is gone, via certified mail so you have proof it was received by the buyer.

Print up the ebay auction info, the buyer info, the paypal transfer of funds, and a copy of your signed title and bill of sale. This protects you if he does something illegal on a bike that the government still considers your legal property (until he registers it...it is considered yours unless you show proof otherwise). My grandma had the FBI show up at her house when her van was confiscated at the Mexican border in the 80's with a big bag of weed in it.

Am I missing anything?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Here is the most cautious you can be.....

Paypal can reverse transactions well after you think they are a done deal, found this our first hand. Make sure that the funds are in your BANK, and call Paypal to be sure the transaction cannot be reversed for any reason, period.

Call the buyer when the transporter arrives and confirm with the buyer that the transport company is the approved company. The buyer will then not be able to dispute that you shipped the bike with his consent. Get signed paperwork from the driver.

Keep the title with you, give the transporter a couple of copies as well as copies of the bill of sale.

Send the title after it all has cleared and the bike is gone, via certified mail so you have proof it was received by the buyer.

Print up the ebay auction info, the buyer info, the paypal transfer of funds, and a copy of your signed title and bill of sale. This protects you if he does something illegal on a bike that the government still considers your legal property (until he registers it...it is considered yours unless you show proof otherwise). My grandma had the FBI show up at her house when her van was confiscated at the Mexican border in the 80's with a big bag of weed in it.

Am I missing anything?
+4000
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
makushr1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Excellent, thanks for the tips.

I knew that about paypal, and told the guy to send the money this weekend. It takes 3-4 business days to clear the bank, so once it does, I'll transfer it to my account and he can send the truck to pick it up on friday. I'll be taking pictures of the bike going on the truck, as well as getting documents.

Good idea on the title, thanks.
makushr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post

Am I missing anything?
The only thing I see is stopping by the DPS and filling out a form that you no longer have the vehicle. They have one. This will protect OP if the vehicle is never licensed and some crime is committed.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Why not just have him send a cashier's check? It will save you money, it's safer, and quicker if he sends it overnight
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Why not just have him send a cashier's check? It will save you money, it's safer, and quicker if he sends it overnight
Yeah dont do paypal. Paypal will never guarantee the money cannot be pulled back. Even if it is deposited in your bank account and spent, Paypal can still charge you back the cash if the owner claims fraudulent use of his account or failure to be shipping, or received differently than advertised. They always protect the buyer better than the seller.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

ya, but as a buyer on ebay, i would never go for it unless the transaction was through paypal/ebay for that very reason stated above. Thats the one thing ebay has going for it. If ebay didn't protect the buyer, they'd be out of business years ago.

Not flaming by any means, just saying how i would percieve it if a seller off ebay tried to go outside the "comfort zone" by switching payment methods. It'll will probably look pretty fishy, and you might lose the sale altogether.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

keep your plates and inspection sticker, he will have to get it registered to ride
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Search Texas title transfer notification form.
That is the one to protect you from what Mr. P is talking about.
This must be done within 30 days of sale.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
+1.
But more specific, tell him to mail a USPS Cashiers Check. USPS Cashiers check will not allow the buyer to purchase it without the actual funds being in front of them. No worries about a cashiers check coming from a corner store or him faking a Western Union check, etc.
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
yamaR6281
i ride really slow

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
600rr

paypal can kiss my . I hate how you "HAVE" to pay with paypal now if you're using ebay.

I shipped an item to a seller once with tracking number. He dispute it because it took longer to get there; he's in canada. Paypal just told me "the tracking say it arrived, who do i know that he actually received it?" WTF... luckily I only lost 20 bucks.

in your case, I would document everything. have the driver sign it and call the buyer to confirm.
yamaR6281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:

VERY good advice.

You can take a deposit on PayPal (like $250 or something) but the rest should be cashier's check or some other form of REAL money. Paypal is NOT real money. Also NEVER, NEVER, NEVER link your Paypal account to a bank account. If you insist then set up a SEPARATE account at a SEPARATE bank for these transactions.

P's post summed up the other things.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Aggie
In slow, fast out...hmm

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'08 MD250H (track)
'06 NSF100 (sold)
'07 GSXR600 (sold)
'04 R6 (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Online TX Vehicle Transfer Notification link:

https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
keep your plates and inspection sticker, he will have to get it registered to ride

if the transporting company refuses to give you a recipt or shipping bill of lading tell him to take the bike right the fukk back off the truck if he refuses call a cop

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement