MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #21
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
If we can fly a spaceship to the moon, why in the can't chemical engineers come up with a gasoline additive that solvates today's fuel mixture into a solution (rather than just leave it a problematic suspension)?

EDIT: In case someone else is curious and isn't following the question, the components of a suspension will separate over time, a solution does not.
It's called the Ethanol Lobby.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/bothwell1.html

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...526_169812.htm

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friend is in a essay competion to meet Dr. Niel Tyson, please vote for my friend Goldenboy1 Off Topic 8 03-21-2011 05:11 PM
I cleaned the garage... dudewhrsmybike General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 01-12-2010 05:44 PM
Where to get your carbs cleaned? boss-hog General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 08-02-2008 01:58 AM
Cleaned my Z and took some pics Mic General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-13-2008 08:30 AM
Need my bike cleaned! Cbr954Dave General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-22-2007 12:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I drink ethanol almost every day, so don't hate
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

[QUOTE=Patrick;2763383]It's called the Ethanol Lobby.

[url]

[url]

Good info Patrick, but that wasn't the answer to my question. When you said fuel was a suspension, that is indicative that the components of the fuel mixture are not actually in solution. I know people are working on additives to help with the problem of gunk buildup, but it doesn't seem like they have succeeded in that goal to an exceptable level. If the gunk problem is caused by the ethanol separating out of the solution over time, and the guv won't get rid of it, there should be some kind of solvent designed that could actually blend the fuel mixture into a homogenous solution. It is my understanding that that would eliminate the incompatibility of ethanol in fuel.

An analogy for others is a cup of water and oil. They don't mix well, but shake or stir it enough and the oil water mix becomes an emulsion. OTOH, There are solvents that can evenly blend the two incompatable substances together to the degree that they won't separate.

Patrick, Our fuel seems to be somewhere in the middle, with the ethanol only partially dissolved into solution (based on your description of the problem). With a better solvent to make the ethanol more compatible, it seems like the gunking problem would likely go away, at least to a large extent. Obviously, an entity could make a ton of money by solving this issue, and I can't figure out why it hasn't happened since it wouldn't interfere with the govs agenda of pushing ethanol.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #24
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Tim Vipond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #25
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
10% ethanol will stay in solution with the remainder being gasoline. The problem is when water from humidity or other sources exceed gasolines capacity to keep the water and ethanol in solution, they will phase separate or settle out of solution. This puts the water/ethanol at the low point in the gas tank where gravity or a fuel pump puts it into the combustion chamber. This can cause a lean condition which causes hard starting, rough running, corrosion, and lean running conditions which can damage the engine. What the fuel stabilizers do is increase the solubility of the water/ethanol/gasoline before it is able to drop out of solution. The fuel system cleaners clean the varnish, gum and carbon that can form in a fuel system, valves, piston head and combustion chamber.
Thanks for the input, as all I have to go on is theory, not practical application (at least when it comes to this topic). I can see two possible solutions to this issue. Find a way to keep the water out, or have a mixture that is a great deal more soluble for ethanol. If both are difficult, maybe a little of both Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #26
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Tim Vipond is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement