MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I'll sell you the 99 DR350SE in my avatar for 2K. Runs great street legal ready to go on street but shines on the trails
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anybody up for some dirt? kenneth3602 Events, Meets and Rides 0 01-01-2010 01:18 PM
Are You Old As Dirt C.Hern5972 Off Topic 15 12-16-2009 08:26 PM
anybody up for dirt? kenneth3602 Events, Meets and Rides 0 11-29-2009 07:28 PM
THE DIRT NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!! houseofpaint Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 9 02-04-2009 06:51 PM
Say no to dirt BigComfy Off Topic 6 02-13-2007 12:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
I was trying to stay around $2k or less. I found an '08 CRF 150R big wheel... $2100. I read a bit about them on the boards and guys said they were good for an adult...big advantage for me it is it will fit my short inseam well.
with a MAX $2k price limit you can find a lot of nice used bikes.

some sites (besides craigslist) to check are:
www.houstonmotocross.com
www.texasoffroad.net

i'm a bit in your category as far as height...i'm running a yz426 in the woods. Height doesn't bother me so much as weight. My kx250f (which I need to assemble the top end back into motor) is about the same height, but many pounds lighter. I can't wait to get that thing running and under my seat again.

Last edited by hotnanas; 01-06-2011 at 12:13 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
jasonrmoore

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1994 Honda CBR600F2 - Sold
Dirt - 2008 Yamaha YZ250F - Sold
1991 Suzuki VX800 - rideable project

i am 5'8" ish. i ride a 08 yamaha yz250f, its tall and the spring hasnt even worn in yet. i can touch decently on both sides, and it is great. i only have about 40 hours on it, but do maintenance regularly, and have no problems. the one great thing about the 4 stroke is you can carry a can of gas and not have to worry about mixing or anything, or stop at a gas station with the bike in the back and just pull the cap off and fill. i had a 05 cr125 honda 2 stroke, and my 250 4 stroke has just as much of a "power band" with the cc size considered too. i think a newerish 4 stroke 250 would be a great start, and you wont outgrow it as fast as a 125. imho.
jasonrmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrmoore View Post
i am 5'8" ish. i ride a 08 yamaha yz250f, its tall and the spring hasnt even worn in yet. i can touch decently on both sides, and it is great. i only have about 40 hours on it, but do maintenance regularly, and have no problems. the one great thing about the 4 stroke is you can carry a can of gas and not have to worry about mixing or anything, or stop at a gas station with the bike in the back and just pull the cap off and fill. i had a 05 cr125 honda 2 stroke, and my 250 4 stroke has just as much of a "power band" with the cc size considered too. i think a newerish 4 stroke 250 would be a great start, and you wont outgrow it as fast as a 125. imho.
Even though you will still have a ton of fun on a 125 two stroke, when compared to a 250 four stroke, the four stroke feels like it spoils you with the ability to go faster easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #25
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Well I went to the stealership (wild west honda) at lunch to sit on a couple different size bikes just to see. Remember I have a 28" inseam and long torso (5'6" - 190lbs).

Sat on a CRF 250R/250X & 450. All about the same height (spec seat height lists 36-37"). I could get one foot on the ground, cheeks off the seat and the other foot almost could touch the peg on the other side.

Then I sat on a CRF 230F which is spec seat height of 34" and I could get tips of both feet down or sliding slightly to one cheek I could touch with one foot...bike felt comfortable and seemed to be a good size for me.

Then I sat on a CRF 150F... I could touch with pads down on both feet on the ground, in th seat. 32" seat height spec list.

I did some reading this afternoon on various forums (dirt rider, thumpertalk) and all seem to agree the 230f is a decent bike but no where near the performance of a 250 and people seem to outgrow it quite quick, however the seat height is good for me.

I did come across a '08 CRF 150R expert (big wheel - 29") which is supposedly full of and vinegar and a good performance bike, and with the big wheel design it will sit seat height at 34" so it'll be good for my height but the bike is smaller (length) so I worry that it will be too small for me.

Opinions? I mean I would assume it would be good to be able to put a foot down on the trail if needed, but the 250's on the trails I think aren't going to be manageable. I even considered flipping back to the 2t and getting a YZ125 however those are just as tall as the 250's.

Thoughts? Opinions?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Thoughts? Opinions?
MY THOUGHTS....go spend a grand on a used bike and see what you think. If you don't like it, sell it and buy the next used bike.

Don't go buying something new off the showroom floor and then take a big hit when you decide it's not for you. Start cheap and then make a decision....you may end up lucky like me and actually like the old relic you buy and never look back.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

oh i'd never buy from the stealership.... just went to look b/c of the availability of being able to sit on different size bikes.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

The crf230 would be a great all around bike for you and for trails. BUT, and here's the big but, it's not a performance bike and if you want to take it to you track, you will be at a big disadvantage. It will have some pep in power but not what i'm sure you want or are looking to get. Plus the suspension is not meant for jumping and track riding by any means.

The crf 150 is a full on MX race bike. It's just meant for kids. You would have to have the suspension re-done for your weight and i'd be willing to bet you'd have alot of fun on that bike. However, it's not going to have the torque that a larger bike can offer. But overall, for the money, i think you would be better off going with a full size bike.

I have known alot of shorter riders that rode and raced full size MX bikes with no problem. The only time it makes a difference for them is starting the bike and coming to a stop.

Hope any of that helps.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #29
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

alright...back to it again.

so narrowed it down to CRF 150rb & CRF 250X.

250x is a trail designed bike so better gearing etc for trails (vs R model) and seems to get generally good reviews. Only kicker is I found a 2004 model with a shaved seat for $2k... good deal? I heard that the 2004 model used Titanium valves instead of stainless which the newer model uses and can cause issues. Anyone know of this? oh, it also has a new top end.

Also found a 250x, 2007 for $2900 however its another $900 which would go along way into mods (and pocket money).

And then there is the 2008 CRF 150RB which I've been looking at...went and sat on one last night, feels alright like it could be fun however it reminds me of my old mtn bike which I was a bit big for, it was ridable but I knew I was big for it. Kicker is on all the forums adults my size are running them and say they are a blast.

opinions on each?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #30
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

CR250X is a killer bike, you can do alot with it and on it, and is a great beginner bike. Plus if you wanted to you could make it street legal down the road. its not gonna win any MX championships because of the suspension and gearing, but it would serve your purpose well for sure
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
lostner

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx

I only paid $2400 for an '06 in nearly perfect condition. You're welcome to try it on for size with the lowering link and raised tubes. I'm in Spring.
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #32
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I have a couple of CRF150F's that I use very regularly. I have a woods ready CR250 that gathers dust, a DRZ400 I use for track days, Mexico trips, big bend, neighborhood, and a WR250X mainly for trackdays. In the past couple of years I've also owned an XR400, XR600, Rm125 and TTR125.

My all time favorite dirt bike is my CRF150F. It has performance nearly equal to a 230F, but with no 6th gear and 50 MPH top speed, but with smaller wheels making it easy to ride. I have a 28" inseam, 5'8". I can ride the out of this bike, all day long, and never get bored. I've only taken it to SHNF type trails once, at Outlaw for a race weekend, and I had no trouble keeping up with KTM 450's, RM250's, and other big bikes in the trails. In the tight sections I could go 25% faster than a full size bike. but on anything over 30 MPH I couldn't keep up. Obviously, I know what a 150 is capable of,a nd what a 450 or two stroke 250 is capable of. Open terrain or a MX track and I am basically riding in reverse vs a big bike. But for Texas terrain, woods trails, rocky stuff, technical stuff...I love the 150.

Best part? ZERO maintenance. I have two 150's and except for an oil change each 6 months,a new air filter once a year, and regular chain maintenance they just chug and chug and chug. Had to do fork seals once in 48 months. My 2006 has e start so I can use a headlight on it. My 2004 is kick start so my son can't run the battery down when he leaves the ignition on for a month or two. I have to sea foam / clean the carb once in a while, but this will be the case on all dirt bikes due to the new gas.

An interesting fact....the 150F and 230F are identical in size, plastics, seat, bars, peg...but the 230 has a bigger motor, longer legs, and bigger wheels. What this means is the 150 is not a cramped ride. I put 1" bar risers on both bikes so I can stand almost straight up offroad, and my knees stay well clear of the bars. Here is the 2004 in Colorado:

new to dirt

The little "play" bikes like the 150F, 230F, TTr230, XR200, XT250, DR 250/350 all will go for 20 years with little to no repairs except for wear and tear. ALL 2 strokes, and all performance 4 strokes require something kinda expensive every 20 to 40 hours. Big 4 strokes tend to detonate at 1500 a pop when ridden hard.

So I would recommend you pick up a clean, good running, low hour 4 stroke playbike. Get used to riding at a moderate pace...don't scare yourself. Push the bike to it's limits. After 6 months, if you want, sell it for what you paid for it, and move up.

Last edited by Mr.P; 01-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #33
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Listen to what an "expert" says:

On board the 150: Colorado

45 - 50 on the highway

At 10,000 feet

Both 150's in Houston at a small trail spot

I've also raced it TMGP and done a trackday at GSS on the 150....it's just versatile and easy to screw around on....

Last edited by Mr.P; 01-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #34
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
MY THOUGHTS....go spend a grand on a used bike and see what you think. If you don't like it, sell it and buy the next used bike.

Don't go buying something new off the showroom floor and then take a big hit when you decide it's not for you. Start cheap and then make a decision....you may end up lucky like me and actually like the old relic you buy and never look back.
TRUTH!

I personally won't buy a dirtbike for more that $2000.

For a first, I usually recommend to my friends to spend no more than $1500 so they can get their feet wet and know exactly what they want to do when it comes to their next ride.

I am about 5'6" too and have never had a lowered bike. Cutting out foam from the seat is common, but I have never done it. From your weight, you might have less problem muscling around a bike than I do....so with that said...you could probably ride just about anything with great success.

Now, if I had my way, I'd love to try out Service Honda's Junior R. It's a 150r chassis with a 250x motor shoved into it. I just can't drop $8k on a dirtbike.
http://www.servicehonda.com/junior%20r.html
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
pass on the TT....it'll be luggin' once you get the hang of the dirt.

I'm partial to a 2T, but newer 4 strokes reign the trails and MX scene these days.

I took a MX bike and put barkbusters and spark arrestor on like Clark mentioned. I ride my bike pretty hard and it has yet to skip a beat....but I do regular maintenance with EVERY ride. Gear oil, air filter, and adjust chain tension/lube every ride and a new top end every 40 hrs or so. It's been bulletproof so far.
really? I just hit up a ride a few weeks ago near Austin and it's a sea of orange and at least 50% 2 smokers.

2 smokers are takin back the trails!

But yes, the big 4 and 4-strokes rule the mx world.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #36
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll own a 250x !

Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #37
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

bout time!

haha
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #38
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Dude, those been looking for 250x's for a while now, those bikes are hard to find (for a reasonable price!) Hopefully that means I can resell if I need to.

Btw, wheres a good place to get a cheap stand for the bike (garage)

Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #39
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
Dude, those been looking for 250x's for a while now, those bikes are hard to find (for a reasonable price!) Hopefully that means I can resell if I need to.

Btw, wheres a good place to get a cheap stand for the bike (garage)
all over the place. , Harbor Freight has them for dirt cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dirt-bi...&hft_adv=10063

http://www.discountramps.com/dirtbik...LAID=298240638

I prefer the regular non-lift stand because those tend to by slightly more unstable on uneven ground/ dirt.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Good luck, most people that buyone hold on to them for a while because they are such great bikes!

Advertisement