MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

new to dirt

hey all, new guy here who's only ridden street but looking to get into dual sport and trails. what do you recommend for a bike? My preference would be trails and maybe i'd try the MX bit... one issue I have is I have a short inseam (28") so I have no idea if I can even find a bike that will fit me. 5'6" 190lbs

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anybody up for some dirt? kenneth3602 Events, Meets and Rides 0 01-01-2010 01:18 PM
Are You Old As Dirt C.Hern5972 Off Topic 15 12-16-2009 08:26 PM
anybody up for dirt? kenneth3602 Events, Meets and Rides 0 11-29-2009 07:28 PM
THE DIRT NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!! houseofpaint Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 9 02-04-2009 06:51 PM
Say no to dirt BigComfy Off Topic 6 02-13-2007 12:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
lostner

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx

My son is about the same size and he rides a crf250x with a Kouba link (for lowering the rear) and the fork tubes sunk in the triple clamps about an inch. You could do this with just about any dirtbike. Carmichael isn't any taller and it worked out pretty well for him.
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650

What are you looking to spend? A kdx 200 sits pretty low and is a decent trail bike and can be had for around a grand. If you're looking for something dirt/street I would say DRZ or KLX with shaved seat foam, you can find those for around 2-3k. If you want to mix trails with MX and no street, any 2t 250 MX bike works great with a flywheel weight, barkbusters and a spark arrestor; I'm partial to suzukis and newer yamahas. It is a lot easier and cheaper in the end to turn an MXer into a trail bike than the other way around, although I have no problem with my trailbikes on euro style MX tracks. I wouldn't worry too much abought the height either, as long as you can tiptoe on one side or the other you are ok imho.
TxSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

I have a couple friends of mine who are big into dirt, one MX and one trails. The trail guy suggested a Yama TT125 and the other said a YZ125 and saying I would get bored fast of the TT. I also asked about the 125 vs 250 and suggested starting on the 125 as its more forgiving which is alright.

I actually found a couple KX125's for sale... and was going to pick one up. 2001 YZ125 for $1250 and a 2007 YZ125 for $2100. Is it worth it to spend the extra coin for the newer model? Granted I'll be a weekend rider only

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Depending on the condition, hours and maintenance performed you can get a great deal on an older bike, but be wary of smokers and two strokes, they are generally being sold for a reason. I would go with a 4 strike personally because maintenance is less intense, and they are a little more forgiving for learning. I have a 99 DR350 thats street legal, which means I can get to any trail head and home without loading or trasnporting. Of course I would never take it on a MX track because if the suspension, but it can take some decent jumps. Dual sport is where it is at in my opinion. Let me know either way, I have some trails I ride almost daily
Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
pass on the TT....it'll be luggin' once you get the hang of the dirt.

I'm partial to a 2T, but newer 4 strokes reign the trails and MX scene these days.

I took a MX bike and put barkbusters and spark arrestor on like Clark mentioned. I ride my bike pretty hard and it has yet to skip a beat....but I do regular maintenance with EVERY ride. Gear oil, air filter, and adjust chain tension/lube every ride and a new top end every 40 hrs or so. It's been bulletproof so far.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

so what would y'all recommend for a first bike then? I have plenty of street experience, just none on 2 wheels in the tree's. I would eventually like to get into the dual sport but this I'm looking for now is just for weekend warrior fun. Some say 2 stroke, some say 4 stroke. ugh.

is there much of a group riding dirt in/around Houston?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Bike(s):

A 2t 125 is NOT more forgiving than a 250 in the woods, they have to be ridden "on the pipe" a whole lot more or have almost no power. A 250 makes power on the pipe too, but its a broader spread of power and with a pipe like an FMF Gnarley, it's spread wider and easy to use in the woods. As far as 2t vs 4t is concerned, it's ford vs chevy. There are pros and cons to each. I personally don't care for engine braking. I brakeslide most turns and blip the throttle a lot to maintain speed so I coast, and that style of riding doesn't work (for me anyway) on a 4t. I would not buy a 125 for woods riding unless I was 120 lbs.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
so what would y'all recommend for a first bike then? I have plenty of street experience, just none on 2 wheels in the tree's. I would eventually like to get into the dual sport but this I'm looking for now is just for weekend warrior fun. Some say 2 stroke, some say 4 stroke. ugh.

+1 to what everyone has said so far. Assuming that this isn't something you want to ride on the road with, get something along the lines of a Honda crf250x. You can tear up the trails and tear up any MX track with it. Basically covers any weekend warrior fun you may want to get into.

People will always say differently, but you can have just as much fun on a 2 stroke in the trails as a 4 stroke. I can promise you that. For most people it's just a preference thing. That being said, you can find 125 2 strokes very cheap all day long on craigslist. Of course, i will always recommend a Honda either way.

I also recommend you stay away from the "trail only - beginner" type of 4 strokes that are out there. Like Honda's XR line, Yamaha's TTR line, etc. They will be fun, but you'll want a faster bike quickly. Plus if you want to have some fun on a MX track, you'll wish you had a better bike.

Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
there is, to some degree. I race hare scrambles once a month (usually within a 2-3 hr trip from Houston), I try and ride the SHNF at least every other month and then an occasional trip to the MX tracks (plenty of em in houston area).

I will say this, MH is a sportbike scene. You'd probably find more riders for organized rides with TRH (trail riders of Houston), HoustonMX, or even Thumper Talk or TWT. The "core group" of riders here on MH is everything but consisitent! Right Clark?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
there is, to some degree. I race hare scrambles once a month (usually within a 2-3 hr trip from Houston), I try and ride the SHNF at least every other month and then an occasional trip to the MX tracks (plenty of em in houston area).

I will say this, MH is a sportbike scene. You'd probably find more riders for organized rides with TRH (trail riders of Houston), HoustonMX, or even Thumper Talk or TWT. The "core group" of riders here on MH is everything but consisitent! Right Clark?
Houstonmotocross.com is also a good site for the Houston MX scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Houstonmotocross.com is also a good site for the Houston MX scene.
that's what I meant, but I don't post there and forgot the name.

CDN Bacon, be prepared for when you show to a MX track with bark busters on your bars....the good MX riders will have a good laugh at you knowing you don't fit their mold...trust me.

Last edited by dbuck; 01-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
there is, to some degree. The "core group" of riders here on MH is everything but consisitent! Right Clark?
Yeah I have that coming. Just remember that you missed the last ride at shnf to catch fish, and I work weekends a lot so I can't race a series. That being said, lets get a MH SHNF ride orginized again, any free saturdays?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSandman View Post
Yeah I have that coming. Just remember that you missed the last ride at shnf to catch fish and drink beer, and I work weekends a lot so I can't race a series. That being said, lets get a MH SHNF ride orginized again, any free saturdays?
can ya blame me? I'm "free" every Saturday this month minus the weekend of the 22nd & 23rd (I'll be racing). I'd prefer the 15th or 29th though.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

I appreciate all the input guys, guess I'm still shaking my head though. I still got guys here (at work) saying get 2 stroke and some saying 4 stroke...there seems to be 2 distinct camps and they don't cross at all.

Maybe I'll go ahead and pick up that YZ125 and try it out... only thing i worry about is fouling up plugs learning and of course, I have a small case of arthritis in my clutch hand so clutching after a few hours can get painful on a streetbike, can't imagine how bad it'll be on a dirt (ugh)

Here's another one for you, a longer offroad trip, say big bend park for a weekend, this isn't going to work is it.... something like a drz400 would be better suited?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
I appreciate all the input guys, guess I'm still shaking my head though. I still got guys here (at work) saying get 2 stroke and some saying 4 stroke...there seems to be 2 distinct camps and they don't cross at all.
Pretty much. I love my 2 stroke, but haven't had lots of time on a 4 stroke. I can see the fascination of the four strokes, but the snappy throttle of a two stroke can't be beat.

Quote:
Maybe I'll go ahead and pick up that YZ125 and try it out... only thing i worry about is fouling up plugs learning and of course, I have a small case of arthritis in my clutch hand so clutching after a few hours can get painful on a streetbike, can't imagine how bad it'll be on a dirt (ugh)
Rekluse would be an option. Knocking on wood here, I've NEVER fouled a plug in my 2t....maybe it's because I don't use engine braking and find pulling the clutch, and blippin' the throttle easy to do. I dunno, maybe I ride on the pipe all the time (not really, I'm too slow for this)

Quote:
Here's another one for you, a longer offroad trip, say big bend park for a weekend, this isn't going to work is it.... something like a drz400 would be better suited?
You don't want a 2 stroke for a long ride. Heck, if I planned on riding for more than a few seconds in 3rd gear or higher I wouldn't want a 2 stroke.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
lostner

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx

The Honda crf250x also has a button (for starting). The Kdx 200 is a pretty fun woods bike and fairly cheap. I gotta think that a 125 would get old quick especially in the woods.
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Thanks for the help yesterday guys, think I've decided to go with a 4 stroke for the first bike... not knowing how aggressive I'll be on the trails etc, there is less worry of fouling plugs etc.

So next question is, what model and size? I was looking at a crf 150r big wheel, ttr-230 and a kdx 300. any comments on either or recommendations?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Bike(s):

It's probably a klx 300, and you're not going to have fun on any of those on an MX track. Fouling a plug is not really an issue, as long as you're jetting is close. I can't remember the last time I did that other than a cold start at the truck, I carry a spare plug in my camelback and can r/r it in minutes with 1 wrench. The crf150r is an MX bike but its the size of an 85cc 2t, set up fot a kid. The TTR has a conventional fork that may drag in the ruts and a low output aircooled engine. I guess out of the three I would pick the KLX300.
What is your bike budget?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

I was trying to stay around $2k or less. I found an '08 CRF 150R big wheel... $2100. I read a bit about them on the boards and guys said they were good for an adult...big advantage for me it is it will fit my short inseam well.

Advertisement