MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #41
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Todays bikes are being equipped with dual injectors. That gives even more room for possible tuning options.
Look at it this way. I can decide I wanna run race gas. I tell the Bazzaz what AFR I wanna run. I make a trip around the block. The system sniffs the exhaust as I ride,I then tell it to accept changes with the lap top to the percentages of fuel (per RPM and TP)needed to hit target AFR.. Done. Let's say today I wanna spray a 50 shot. Go to map 2 and set the AFR for what ever. A few hits and its ready to accept the changes. I run it at the track and it changes maps for me. I leave on the street tune. When the nitrous is triggered a relay flips the maps to add more fuel on the secondary injectors. The nitrous map is only on when the is spraying. You cant do all that with a carb bike.
He didn't specify what kind of riding. I was assuming a typical streetbike application and not so much the high performance/racing idea.
Certainly the way you use your bike EFI is the best way by far but, I think both ways are reasonable. Once again, each person has to look at how they are gonna use the machine to determine what's best in their situation.
I guess the reason I'm throwing this up is to defend the carbs from being demonized as old timey that doesnt work very well compared to today's high zoot digital stuff.
Both have pros and cons.
EFI is certainly easier, no hassles but if it goes south you can be pretty screwed.
Carbs are simple but less tunable and in some cases maybe less efficient.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fuel injection on a carbed bike loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-07-2011 09:05 AM
EFI Controllers zerobounds Performance and Modifications 0 07-23-2009 07:26 AM
01 R6 Carbed? Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 12-11-2008 01:36 AM
EFI Management Systems - Questions dru Performance and Modifications 4 10-10-2007 11:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #42
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Given the choice which would you chose?
EFI there is nothing better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #43
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Todays bikes are being equipped with dual injectors. That gives even more room for possible tuning options.
Look at it this way. I can decide I wanna run race gas. I tell the Bazzaz what AFR I wanna run. I make a trip around the block. The system sniffs the exhaust as I ride,I then tell it to accept changes with the lap top to the percentages of fuel (per RPM and TP)needed to hit target AFR.. Done. Let's say today I wanna spray a 50 shot. Go to map 2 and set the AFR for what ever. A few hits and its ready to accept the changes. I run it at the track and it changes maps for me. I leave on the street tune. When the nitrous is triggered a relay flips the maps to add more fuel on the secondary injectors. The nitrous map is only on when the is spraying. You cant do all that with a carb bike.

Actually it really isn't hard to set up a carb to have nitrous injection. There are lots of people who have secondary injection triggered by the NOx injection.

For fuel choice some people have multiple carbs depending on street or strip. For cars the change is; air filter wing nut, throttle linkage, tranny linkage (but who runs in auto at the strip?), a vacuum hose or two and four bolts. Less than 2 minutes if you know what you are doing. Harder, but not impossible to do the same on a bike.

Now if you are saying it's easier, cheaper and cleaner with a computer than with jets, spare parts and wrenches I would totally agree. Don't say can't; people get pissy.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #44
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

With the carbs you can control AFR at a specific RPM and TP? I am also talking about a dry system with no second fuel pump.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #45
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
With the carbs you can control AFR at a specific RPM and TP? I am also talking about a dry system with no second fuel pump.
Yes, the Bernoulli effect is a beautiful thing. It takes into account air density and velocity (load, RPM and TP) and meters fuel to suit. However there are inaccuracies as the Reynold's number goes up due to turbulence giving you flow restriction.

NOx would require a second set of injection plumbing, so it would not be as simple. Just doable.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #46
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
not sure what people are smoking to say that efi runs todays gas better.....

We do way more efi water repairs at the shop than we do carb cleans these days. Most of them don't even get out of the gas station parking lot where they fueled up.

Ethanol absorbs water & when a gas station gets low on gas they tend to pump some water. A few drops in an efi bike will stop it dead. Carbed bike will stutter & may die as well, but taking a screwdriver & draining the bowls is a heck of a lot easier than having to disassemble and blow air through the injector screens & fuel rail.
Sounds like some good info. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #47
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Carbed.
While EFI is great, the thing I like about carbs and motorcycles in general is, simplicity.
With EFI you have a fuel pump, pressure regulator and injectors, all of which are pretty high tech. If something goes wrong with them they can leave you stranded and repairs can be expensive.
Carbs work well and don't even need electricity. As far as weather/temp changes I never noticed that had any effect on a carbed bike.

As a side note, my gut feeling is, you're gonna get a lot more votes for EFI because most of the members here are young enough not have very much carb experience and feel like they are old fashioned and therefore not so good.

This is a never-ending argument between old people and young. Needles, jets, floats, slides, accelerator pumps....you call it "low tech," but I call it a lot of confusing .

The point being: what you know seems simple.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #48
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
This is a never-ending argument between old people and young. Needles, jets, floats, slides, accelerator pumps....you call it "low tech," but I call it a lot of confusing .

The point being: what you know seems simple.
Amen, preach brother. I love EFI and carbs. Heck, I just like riding.

Advertisement