Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Fil

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Tuono
SV650S

Registering an unreged bike?

I bought my girlfriend a bike to learn on that needed some work about 3 months ago. Its now in shape to get registered, and just wanted to make sure that I got this clear so I can spend as little time waiting in line as possible

It doesn't have plates. I have a bill of sale and title signed over to me.

So from what I understand I need to:
1) Insure it
2) Get it inspected
3) Go to the county tax office and transfer it over/register it?

Since it doesn't have plates, I can't ride it on public roads right? I live about a 5 minute walk from a sticker shop where I got my bike inspected, can I just walk the bike there on the side walk without getting into trouble should a cop drive by?
Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike's Value at the DMV - When Registering Squid General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 12-27-2012 06:22 PM
Registering my bike Crash Jackson General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-03-2012 06:24 PM
Registering an Imported Bike.... Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-02-2009 10:45 PM
Registering Bike: Yes another thread about it. AiJay General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-11-2008 08:10 PM
registering new bike n|k General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 07-27-2007 04:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Yes U can walk it over on the sidewalk I believe without any hassle, I would just personally ride it and have all your paperwork in hand just in case, U would have to be very unlucky and get stopped by a cop that is a real to really get into trouble, most important thing is insurance, even if U did get 2 tickets they would get dismissed if these were taken care of in 10 days
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Jbeck01R6
Crashing Sucks!!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2001 Yamaha YZF-R6
90 FZR600 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jbeck01R6
I agree!, ride it!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Make sure you are not in an accident if u drive it. U will be fkd no matter what your reasons were....if your in the humble area, I can strap it in my truck and take u where u need to go
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
Make sure you are not in an accident if u drive it. U will be fkd no matter what your reasons were....if your in the humble area, I can strap it in my truck and take u where u need to go
Because of no inspection sticker?
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

there is another form you need - the one that states the odometer reading and sale price.
Can't remember what its called but I had to get this and get it signed by P.O. before I could get my last bike registered.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
bob_1

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I don't think you need an inspection for registration or title transfer purposes(only if the vehicle is out of state or salvage). You need the 130-u form, which should be signed by the seller of the vehicle usually, but a bill of sale can sometimes be substituted.

And insurance of course.

I've got lots of parts
bob_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

[QUOTE=AKS_Racing;2758433]Because of no inspection sticker? [/QUOTE

no, not just the inspection sticker....no plates, no insurance, not registered, and no inspection...there is no way a leo wouldn't give the fault to the mc driver....even if the fault lays on the cage...just saying be careful if you are going to KNOWINGLY drive like that....I've done it before, I'm not innocent, just offering a ride to keep someone on this forum from starting a thread from jail...
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Fil

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Tuono
SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I'm near downtown so a fair ways away. Appreciate it tho.

I got it all done yesterday, was super easy, all i needed was inspection, insurance and title/bill of sale. Lady gave me the plate then and there.

Got the bike there safely and back too, stayed off main roads, no problem. It was about a 1 minute ride each way.
Fil is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement