Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Stunters Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
jasonrmoore

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Honda CBR600F2 - Sold
Dirt - 2008 Yamaha YZ250F - Sold
1991 Suzuki VX800 - rideable project

Cool dumb question/need answers..

I have a 94 cbr600, stock. i am wanting to be able to pull the front end up (on ocassion) but my bike wont stand up without being high high high RPM's. I am used to my motorcross bike and being able to pull the wheel at all speeds and all gears, and now feel like i have to "bounce" the front end for a while then just hammer it. so here is my question/s: is this normal for a stock bike not to pull the front wheel very easily? would a different sprocket make a change without hurting highway riding? is the clutch used in pulling the front end, or rely fully on torque? any answers would be appreciated, thanks!

Jason
jasonrmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible dumb question Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 08-10-2011 10:35 AM
DUMB QUESTION BlackHornet Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 12 05-05-2011 11:59 AM
This may be a dumb question but... Grimace General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 07-08-2010 05:55 AM
Ok this maybe a dumb question, but anyone can help. flamitaz Gear Talk 9 07-09-2007 09:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Pull the clutch in, give it a lot of gas, then let go of the clutch lever. Just don't loop it Or you could just go -1 on the front sprocket.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
springguy77373

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrmoore View Post
I have a 94 cbr600, stock. i am wanting to be able to pull the front end up (on ocassion) but my bike wont stand up without being high high high RPM's. I am used to my motorcross bike and being able to pull the wheel at all speeds and all gears, and now feel like i have to "bounce" the front end for a while then just hammer it. so here is my question/s: is this normal for a stock bike not to pull the front wheel very easily? would a different sprocket make a change without hurting highway riding? is the clutch used in pulling the front end, or rely fully on torque? any answers would be appreciated, thanks!

Jason
Just gun it and pop the clutch...Just watch out for mailboxes on the street and don't do it while you're intoxicated........
springguy77373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

I had the same problem when I went from many years of MX and offroad. You're just use to having a whole lot of lowend tourqe and a very light front end. You're going to have to get the RPM's a lot higher like 4-6 grand before you can expect to just throttle it up, and you may only be able to do it in 1 and 2nd on that bike.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

Quote:

Jason
It hurts high way speeds for sure if you wana around and ride on the street I would stay with stock gearing on the f2 f3. I have a 54 on my f3 and its a pain in the to ride on the street , vibrates off and its just not good for your motor. I also dont keep my idle too high because its carburated and it tends to bog out if your idle is too high and if you wheelie allot .

Last edited by miguel!!; 12-24-2010 at 01:03 AM.
miguel!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
jasonrmoore

Bike(s):
1994 Honda CBR600F2 - Sold
Dirt - 2008 Yamaha YZ250F - Sold
1991 Suzuki VX800 - rideable project

my bike is cold cold blooded. for the first 15 minutes of riding (and i always let my bike warm up before getting on it for like 3 minutes), it bogs whenever i give it gas...why is that?
jasonrmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel!! View Post
It hurts high way speeds for sure if you wana around and ride on the street I would stay with stock gearing on the f2 f3. I have a 54 on my f3 and its a pain in the to ride on the street , vibrates off and its just not good for your motor. I also dont keep my idle too high because its carburated and it tends to bog out if your idle is too high and if you wheelie allot .
not trying to turn this into an argument, but I'm about to go -1, and everyone I've talked to about it, including Patrick, said it should be fine. More torque, but not to the point of overkill, and lose just a bit of the top end
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

Quote:
my bike is cold cold blooded. for the first 15 minutes of riding (and i always let my bike warm up before getting on it for like 3 minutes), it bogs whenever i give it gas...why is that?
clean your carbs, it bogs more when its cold i tink all bikes do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
not trying to turn this into an argument, but I'm about to go -1, and everyone I've talked to about it, including Patrick, said it should be fine. More torque, but not to the point of overkill, and lose just a bit of the top end
im not talkin goin up or down 2 or 3 im talkin from 43 to 54 do the math

Last edited by miguel!!; 12-24-2010 at 01:50 AM.
miguel!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
Grimace

Quote:
im not talkin goin up or down 2 or 3 im talkin from 43 to 54 do the math
I don't think math is the problem here. I suggested going -1 after getting reputable advice (Patrick). You recommended no change at all because yours was a pain in the to ride on the street, and though you stated rear sprocket size, you didn't say what size was OEM. IMO, it wasn't a good comparison and could be a bit misleading to others reading to learn something.

For the record, 54 did sound like a lot of teeth, but I don't like to make assumptions. Rather than bring that issue up in the first post I decided to look it up during my dead time at
work.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
texasgiant815
The biggest on 2 wheels

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07' GSXR-600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
-1 is a nice, noticeable change. The throttle response in low gears is increased by a good amount while your top speed is not affected that much. I believe you will like this change.

Now as to the OP, most 600cc bikes have a rough time successfully accomplishing power wheelies. The -1 could be a perfect change but in most cases you will still have to use your clutch. A simple quick "blip" of the clutch should suffice in your initial understanding of how "clutch-ups" work. Be careful with how much throttle you give when actually clutching up because it is very easy to 12 o'clock. Take it slow, this skill takes time. How much time depends on you.

ohnoes416234
texasgiant815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgiant815 View Post
-1 is a nice, noticeable change. The throttle response in low gears is increased by a good amount while your top speed is not affected that much. I believe you will like this change.
This.

OP, the further away from stock gearing you go, the harder is it to ride street BUT easier to stunt (as Miguel pointed out). The -1 front will make a nice torquey difference and should help with your wheelies, but will not affect your highway riding much. You WILL shift up through your gears much faster and have a slightly lower top speed. Your speedometer will be a bit off and read higher than actual, thus stacking on your mileage faster. You can get a Speedohealer to fix that if it bothers you.

I did this on my bike at Patrick's suggestion with great results.
Replacing a REAR sprocket will most likely cause you to change the chain also, so a -1 front is a good cheaper starting point.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

Brah I would say stay stock or get the front sprocket like helios sayd , I ride a geard and a stock cbr 600 f3 and i like the stock one beter to ride on the street. When it really comes down to it a good rider will wheelie anything, if you want to learn to do controlled wheelies i would start with a smaller bike mabe a ttr 125 or a honda crf 50, get the concept on that then transfer the skills to the big bike . I know it sounds retarted I didnt belive it at first but its true it works just like all the lucas products
Old 12-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

This is a bone stock f3 getin wheelied not ideled high at all , i could have never done this without back brake control and allot of practice

stockmurder124
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Ok.. may be a stupid question on this, but do you think a wheelie trainer is a good investment? (I mean I own a busa and don't have a smaller bike to learn on)
Old 12-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
This is a bone stock f3 getin wheelied not ideled high at all , i could have never done this without back brake control and allot of practice

stockmurder124
showoff!!! put some air in that rear tire.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
showoff!!! put some air in that rear tire.
work smarter not harder
Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
casey10

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonbussa View Post
Ok.. may be a stupid question on this, but do you think a wheelie trainer is a good investment? (I mean I own a busa and don't have a smaller bike to learn on)
i really dont think they are, best trainer is practice IMO
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #18
BuffaloRider13
Pro Bike

Bike(s):
XR600R in another state with a screwed top end

I would highly recommend buying a wheelie trainer..

They run about 5-700 bucks

hcnowheel
BuffaloRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage