MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
nqnguyen2

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red

Member Garage

Knee protection

I'm looking for some serious knee protection for spirited street riding. I've heard some good things about the Alpinestars Reflex guards but I'm looking for something of higher quality and better protection. It comes down to the point that I want to pay for great value instead of brand-names.

Also, I've been reading and a few people on another forum/site have mentioned that wearing such knee protection like the Alpinestars Bionic Knee Guard will actually create more force which will snap your femur. Is there any truth into this? Any experience with the items below or similar? Thanks.

$24.95 Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...spx?sst=RR|491

$12.95 Shift Racing Enforcer Knee/Shin Guards http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...in-Guards.aspx

$71.99 EVS Strata Knee/Shin Guard http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=EVS_SK-SM_G

$99.95 Alpinestars Bionic Knee Guard http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...px?sst=RR|1814
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more protection for idiots coastalgix Off Topic 11 01-08-2015 02:17 PM
How much protection does this provide? Perf_White_GT General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 08-02-2010 12:45 PM
Boot and knee protection Davekg Gear Talk 5 06-25-2009 02:28 PM
Tattoo Protection cashtown Gear Talk 40 03-26-2007 09:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
my icons have held up incredibly well for two years. best 40 bones spent
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

I have the reflexes they have saved my knees twice

$24.95 Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...spx?sst=RR|491
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
nqnguyen2

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexanone View Post
I have the reflexes they have saved my knees twice

... was it the same pair that saved your knees twice? If it was, that's quality construction.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

does this mean you're keeping the bike after all!?

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqnguyen2 View Post
... was it the same pair that saved your knees twice? If it was, that's quality construction.
YEP same pair but I have not had a "serious" wreck, but any meeting between your kneecaps and concrete will not be a good one
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
omer
SMR

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
i think so.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
nqnguyen2

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer View Post
i think so.
Yes sirs, I'm gonna keep the bike and attempt to restore it to riding status for the next season. As for the fairings and the aesthetics, I'm gonna slap a couple of bandages for fun until I come across some good deals for replacing the fairings.

I can't walk away from the addiction. I just need to be even more careful than before.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

here is my take on knee pads. Most of the damage that I have seen falls into three categories:
1) impact
2) bending
3) abrasion

The cheaper knee pads are primarily padding with straps to keep the padding facing the impact direction. Some have abrasive resistant (plastic) surfaces. These will do a good to fair job of protecting from 1 and 3.

On my riding pants the manufacturer placed knee padding, but the amount of movement leads me to worry about the padding not being between my knee and the concrete. Make sure that any knee protection that you pick up will stay where it is meant to be throughout your full range of motion. Squat, jump, stretch.

The protection from bending the leg past lock in the wrong direction or sideways is problematic. In order to prevent this the bracing on the sides has to transfer any force it receives somewhere and this can cause a fracture at the end of the bracing. Although this may be viewed as undesirable my thought is that the broken bone is easily mended compared to the complex and "never right again" surgeries that would be required for a blown knee.

I have not spent the money for bracing and ride with icon street armor shin guards (+2 years) and surprisingly they have lasted pretty well. Unless you are off roading and jumping the hazards you will most likely face will be abrasion and impact. So go with the inexpensive ones that fit and stay in place. I would recommend asking racers (track and dirt) their opinion on the brace style and do additional research. Save your money till you have done more digging.

Long winded and not very helpful. Good luck and I hope you never have to test your new equipment.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Yes sirs, I'm gonna keep the bike and attempt to restore it to riding status for the next season. As for the fairings and the aesthetics, I'm gonna slap a couple of bandages for fun until I come across some good deals for replacing the fairings.

I can't walk away from the addiction. I just need to be even more careful than before.
I'm glad to hear this man

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Conrad
SCADA Entropy Terminator

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1999 SV650 (For Sale)
2011 GSXR 750

I ordered the EVS strata, but sent them back the day after I got them. They are LARGE, designed for motocross to deflect rocks and stuff flying at your knees/shins, not so much for street riding/falling... They don't fit under jeans, and they will scrape up your bike if worn over your pants (ask me how I know )... Have you looked at Icon's leg armor? This is what I'm getting to replace the EVS...

(FYI Not my video...)

Last edited by Conrad; 01-03-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: youtube link fail
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Quote:

I think I just may cry outta happiness! Lol
Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Oliveira View Post
I think I just may cry outta happiness! Lol
You should just trade bikes... Since you like to keep yours in the garage so much... Won't make a difference wether is ride-able or not...and at least you'll have a better excuse..

Oh yeah, I went there

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Quote:
You should just trade bikes... Since you like to keep yours in the garage so much... Won't make a difference wether is ride-able or not...and at least you'll have a better excuse..

Oh yeah, I went there
lol I always ride, Just not as much as before bc its cold as outside!! haha and I dont have a job that allows me only 9-5...so they are reasons, not excuses
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
nqnguyen2

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I ordered the EVS strata, but sent them back the day after I got them. They are LARGE, designed for motocross to deflect rocks and stuff flying at your knees/shins, not so much for street riding/falling... They don't fit under jeans, and they will scrape up your bike if worn over your pants (ask me how I know )... Have you looked at Icon's leg armor? This is what I'm getting to replace the EVS...

(FYI Not my video...)

YouTube - Joe rocket speedmaster boots 2.0 and icon leg armor
Thanks for the video, it really puts the icon knee armor into perspective when someone wears them.

I really thought about getting more protection than the Icon. I'm looking for more armor right above the knee towards the thigh area and straps on the back of the calf and thigh. Also, I want the knee area to have a strap to keep the knee cup in place otherwise it might not provide protection when flipping and tumbling on concrete.

I've been researching for quite a while and most knee armor are very bulky because it's built to fit a wide range of people. Knee guards come in multiple categories; knee cups, knee guards, and knee braces. Within each category there is a wide variety of differences and coverage. The variety of coverage are; above the knee, behind the calf, and side of knees. Most knee protection include the shin area.

The best one I've found was the Thor Force knee. These cover the knees, above the knees, side of knees, shins (don't need it because I have full boots), and padding behind the calf and thigh. I get hot easily so I'll end up riding much less during the summer months because of the extra padding.

I'm going to save up some money and get the Thors unless I find something better or someone introduces me to something else.

On a side note, check out this armor I wish I could have. It's from the game Vanquish.

VANQUISH 0071 1024x576
Vanquish 48426 screen
vanquish game
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
On a side note, check out this armor I wish I could have. It's from the game Vanquish.
If you want that check out http://www.405th.com/forum.php They can probably help you make some. Just make sure you have enough foam between you and the hard stuff to help with deceleration forces.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
StewRat
Hive Investigator

Feedback Rating: (2)

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

If safety is such a concern why don't you just go with an armored leather or textile pant for spirited rides? Knee pads won't help much if the straps get torn off from sliding.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Get leathers with pucks and go to the track to roll your knees on the concrete/asphalt....
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
nqnguyen2

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRat View Post
If safety is such a concern why don't you just go with an armored leather or textile pant for spirited rides? Knee pads won't help much if the straps get torn off from sliding.
I've thought about leather pants as a future purchase. In the mean time I'm looking for casual alternatives such as if I was going to a friend's house before going to eat at a restaurant. Also, if I'm not mistaken, leather pants would increase my body heat which is why I'm looking at alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Get leathers with pucks and go to the track to roll your knees on the concrete/asphalt....
I don't have much knowledge about leather pants but do they cover the entire knee cap or do they just have pucks for leaning?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
R6G35

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 R6 (sold)
09 R6 Track only
CR 85 super moto (sold)
Husky 610 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
my icons have held up incredibly well for two years. best 40 bones spent
+ 1 on the Icons. I saw my buddy go down on his gxsr and ground a hole in his knee cap! I've been wearing them ever since and most people don't know that I am wearing them under my jeans. I think they are pretty comfortable and cover more area than most knee/shin guards. just my 2 cents
R6G35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement