MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Shoei Helmet question

I've had a RF-1000 for a few years now. I'm looking to upgrade. I want to stay with Shoei. I've tried on the RF-1100 and it feels good. Haven't had the chance to try a X-12 or X-11. Was thinking about an X-11 because they have some good closeouts on them. Most stores don't carry 2XL in helmets, but if the X-11 and X-12 fit anything like the RF-1000 and RF-1100 I should be fine.

My main question is if it's worth buying the X-12 and if not is the X-11 better then the new RF-1100?

Any help would be appreciated.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoei rf-1000 question gtdrivr Gear Talk 3 08-08-2012 09:28 PM
Shoei Question Pnut Gear Talk 11 05-03-2012 12:28 AM
shoei x-11 helmet for sale Chuckster Off Topic 0 11-20-2011 10:18 PM
shoei helmet hughes40 Gear Talk 13 10-20-2008 09:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
nqnguyen2
Senior Member
 
nqnguyen2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 272

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I've had a RF-1000 for a few years now. I'm looking to upgrade. I want to stay with Shoei. I've tried on the RF-1100 and it feels good. Haven't had the chance to try a X-12 or X-11. Was thinking about an X-11 because they have some good closeouts on them. Most stores don't carry 2XL in helmets, but if the X-11 and X-12 fit anything like the RF-1000 and RF-1100 I should be fine.

My main question is if it's worth buying the X-12 and if not is the X-11 better then the new RF-1100?

Any help would be appreciated.
I haven't owned either x-12 nor x-11 but I've been riding with the RF-1100 for a few months now and it's fine for me. I feel that the x-11 should be good for all purposes except at the track where they might require you to have the latest regulation helmet. Otherwise, if you can get the x-11 helmet at a good deal (cheaper than the RF-1100) I'd say go for it. I just couldn't find any in my color/design and size that's why i went for the RF-1100.
__________________
Head Logo
nqnguyen2.com
nqnguyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
gsxrjay
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 22

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
gsxr









i like the x-11 alot
gsxrjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cypress, Texas
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 1,513

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition




Member Garage





I just got the rf-1100. Not bad helmet at all. Gives a good whistle ever now and again but feels great on my cranium!
K. Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Does anybody have a X-11 or a X-12?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





I have a x-11. it feels a little different than the rf, but feels good just the same. A big plus is the removable lining that can be washed to prevent helmet funk.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
nqnguyen2
Senior Member
 
nqnguyen2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 272

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red




Member Garage





Fo'sho, the removable liner is a big plus. The new RF-1100 has that feature.
__________________
Head Logo
nqnguyen2.com
nqnguyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Yeah, the three I'm looking at all have the removable lining, so that's not a worry.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Is the X-12 worth a couple hundred more dollars then the X-11 and the RF-1100?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





I have no idea,lol. the x-11 is a bad helmet I know that. can only imagine the 12 is that much better.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
nqnguyen2
Senior Member
 
nqnguyen2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 272

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Is the X-12 worth a couple hundred more dollars then the X-11 and the RF-1100?
I was asking myself the same question several months ago before buying the RF-1100. It really comes down to how much money you have and your preference because both helmets are very similar except an air vent here and there. Also, you should try both on to see which fits your head better.

Here's a spec that the x-12 has that I seemed to have forgotten about. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/TechSpe...ease_System%29
__________________
Head Logo
nqnguyen2.com
nqnguyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Quote:
Originally Posted by nqnguyen2 View Post
I was asking myself the same question several months ago before buying the RF-1100. It really comes down to how much money you have and your preference because both helmets are very similar except an air vent here and there. Also, you should try both on to see which fits your head better.

Here's a spec that the x-12 has that I seemed to have forgotten about. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/TechSpe...ease_System%29
Problem is I wear a XXL. Not too many shops carry that size in stock. I tried a RF-1100 and it felt like my RF-1000 minus the cheek pads feel a little thicker.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
1yammy
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 94












you are in luck...


competitionaccessories.com.. if i spell that right.. they are all on closed out on your size.. starts out at 200 bux
1yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Problem is I wear a XXL. Not too many shops carry that size in stock. I tried a RF-1100 and it felt like my RF-1000 minus the cheek pads feel a little thicker.
I'm pretty sure there are only 2-3 shell sizes. The difference is made up in the pads.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Well, I just called Competition Accessories and there selling the Solid Black RF-1100 for $326.94 and the Solid Black X-12 for $531.33. I might wait till after the new year to see if they stay that price or drop any further.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








As soon as you get the 12 there will be a 13
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
nqnguyen2
Senior Member
 
nqnguyen2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 272

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Candy Red




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
As soon as you get the 12 there will be a 13
I was wondering about that. Model releases occur every few years though don't they?
__________________
Head Logo
nqnguyen2.com
nqnguyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #18
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Quote:
Originally Posted by nqnguyen2 View Post
I was wondering about that. Model releases occur every few years though don't they?
Not unless they are going to change. The X-11 and RF-1000 came out in 2003 and were unchanged until 2010 when the X-12 and RF-1100 came out.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #19
Captain Slow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 125

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette






Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
As soon as you get the 12 there will be a 13
I'd skip over the 13, bad luck.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #20
babymilo36
Occupy Central
 
babymilo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nice try, thieves
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 4,634

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by nqnguyen2 View Post
I haven't owned either x-12 nor x-11 but I've been riding with the RF-1100 for a few months now and it's fine for me. I feel that the x-11 should be good for all purposes except at the track where they might require you to have the latest regulation helmet. Otherwise, if you can get the x-11 helmet at a good deal (cheaper than the RF-1100) I'd say go for it. I just couldn't find any in my color/design and size that's why i went for the RF-1100.
i have x11 and i use it for track
__________________
forum sig zpsd444cffa

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy