MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
johnmccrary

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki z750s

Rectifier Regulator Issue

I was told that the reguator was the problem but, how do I determine that trully is he issu and not something more significant? Thanks for your help. The motorcycle is a 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
johnmccrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'04 CBR 600RR Regulator/Rectifier Issue? TomballD General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-23-2013 11:59 AM
*********REGULATOR Sunday Ride******** onewheelmoto Events, Meets and Rides 111 02-04-2012 12:14 PM
Rectifier/regulator? joeybaila How To's and Q & A's 2 11-10-2011 06:17 PM
regulator/rectifier retrofit CB750 mx6er How To's and Q & A's 0 05-02-2011 10:42 PM
wat does a voltage regulator/rectifier do? stunterdude How To's and Q & A's 7 03-11-2006 03:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
The rectifier can be tested fairly simple. Have the motorcycle running and test the voltage at the battery. When you rev the engine, the voltage should go up a little. If it does not go up and starts going down after a few minutes, it's definitely a charging system problem and it's probably the rectifier. You can also get the manual to see which wires to test for a resistance check. That will also tell you if the rectifier is bad. Check your wiring harness coming from the stator/rotor assembly and the wiring harness where the rectifier connects. Sometimes you have a short at the molex connections and the problem will keep happening. Also check the voltage output of the stator/rotor to make sure that is not the problem. Again, the manual will point out which wires to test and what the output should be.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html

Here is all the info you will need. DEcosse is a mad man with these bikes.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

if you dont have an account i highly suggest you sign up. There is a wealth of knowledge on that website.

PS you should have bought my bike....lol
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
cheefar6
Polish Representative.

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 YZF-R6 x2

http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/gener...lt_finding.pdf

follow that and you will figure out exacly whats wrong with your charging system,.

also let me add on my 2003 R6, i was never able to get my voltage to read by the book when testing them until i completely removed my ground cable from the whole wiring harness, and replaced it with a much much thicker gauge wire. Now i Get 13.8 volts on my battery at idle, and 14.3-14.5 when revving to 5k RPM, exacly what it should be in the r6 manual

Last edited by cheefar6; 12-13-2010 at 11:00 AM.
cheefar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
HDA
Italians do it better

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2014 RSV4 APRC
1992 CBR RR
2003 RC51

Send a message via Skype™ to HDA
Same problem for my cbr 900 :(

I am going for the 5th rectifier...WTF!!!!

I believe the bike is giving a signal too high for the rectifier to handle it
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
yak

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
The rectifier can be tested fairly simple. Have the motorcycle running and test the voltage at the battery. When you rev the engine, the voltage should go up a little. If it does not go up and starts going down after a few minutes, it's definitely a charging system problem and it's probably the rectifier. You can also get the manual to see which wires to test for a resistance check. That will also tell you if the rectifier is bad. Check your wiring harness coming from the stator/rotor assembly and the wiring harness where the rectifier connects. Sometimes you have a short at the molex connections and the problem will keep happening. Also check the voltage output of the stator/rotor to make sure that is not the problem. Again, the manual will point out which wires to test and what the output should be.

How do you figure that the voltage going down after a few minutes is attributed to the rectifier? The same issue would arise from a bad stator if nothing is wrong with your rectifier.

If the rectifier is bad, more than likely you will be getting too much voltage to your battery.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

The older 3-wire stators should give around 70 volts when reved up to 5K, checked across any set of the three... you need to test all 3 combinations

Then check output to the battery with CLEAN connections. You are looking for around 13.5-14.5 V when reved to 5K or so.

If it does point to the R/R, a good, cheap upgrade is the later style Mosfet off a Honda.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement