MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Grimace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,255

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1











Motorcycle Safety Preparedness

I know there are a lot of guru's on here and have a question. I played in the dirt as a kid (dirtbikes) and took my MSF course back in '03 to get my license, but I know there is always more to learn. The problem is, my time is very limited as a Masters student and working an average of 46 hours a week. What is the better choice for me (I ride the streets almost daily). Should I take an advanced safety course or get more track time? The goal is to live as long as possible and enjoy this sport to the fullest. KNOWLEDGEABLE opinions welcome.
__________________
Quote:
For a minute there I thought we were in trouble.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to take motorcycle safety course.. need help Crash Jackson General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 01-23-2013 12:56 PM
Motorcycle Safety Course haynesc78 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 01-01-2013 12:40 PM
motorcycle safety course derekvercher General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-21-2011 06:24 PM
motorcycle safety course jb8223 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-18-2011 06:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor
 
Challen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brookshire/Fulshear, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,516

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R




Both would be the best answer, but if you can only do one or the other..........................what type of riding do you typically do? (commuting, errands around town, weekend twisties, etc.)

Your answer will help with opinions.
__________________
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Grimace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,255

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1











Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Both would be the best answer, but if you can only do one or the other..........................what type of riding do you typically do? (commuting, errands around town, weekend twisties, etc.)

Your answer will help with opinions.
Sorry, thought your question was answered when I said I rode the streets daily. To be more thorough, I commute daily, and usually but not lately push the bike pretty hard (on conferment till the end of the month (if I got the word wrong it means I got a ticket and can't get another or they'll both go on my record)). I usually have a pretty good head, but have ADHD (no excuse), and really have my moments at times. My first track day really helped me realize how to manipulate the bike and made me much more comfortable. I do however realize that safety in those two riding situations are very different. So do I learn the abilities and limitations of my bike better or focus on safety in traffic? At the moment it really has to be one or the other.
__________________
Quote:
For a minute there I thought we were in trouble.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin
 
Gixxer Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,618

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold






always ride defensively.. always expect cars to do the wrong thing.. if you suspect anything from a cager, slow down, go ahead an brake. i been riding since 1964 and have always treated cars as the enemy.. and i ride acordingly. I dont trust a cager to do anything safely..hope you understand this.. hard to put in words...
__________________
gixxergeezer 1



What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Grimace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,255

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1











Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
always ride defensively.. always expect cars to do the wrong thing.. if you suspect anything from a cager, slow down, go ahead an brake. i been riding since 1964 and have always treated cars as the enemy.. and i ride acordingly. I dont trust a cager to do anything safely..hope you understand this.. hard to put in words...
I totally get this, and it's nothing new, but it's good to hear it again from time to time For the record, I've put about 30,000 miles on the two bikes I've owned. I'm just trying to take it to the next level, and am well aware that there are others here with more experience and knowledge than me.
__________________
Quote:
For a minute there I thought we were in trouble.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin
 
Gixxer Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,618

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
I totally get this, and it's nothing new, but it's good to hear it again from time to time For the record, I've put about 30,000 miles on the two bikes I've owned. I'm just trying to take it to the next level, and am well aware that there are others here with more experience and knowledge than me.


no its not new.. but it has gotten me thru about 20 bikes and way over 100,000 miles.. there is no magic or secret formula. just common sense and being alert and drug and alcohol free..


if theres a next level i wanna know it also..
__________________
gixxergeezer 1



What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
FJRmgm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Omaha, Arkansas USA Motorcycling Paradise
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,995

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R







the advanced safety course stresses riding defensively at all times, 360 degree awareness of your situation and the situation around you and constantly accessing "what if" situations while you are riding so you are 1) not putting yourself in a bad situation and 2) prepared as best you can be if you are caught in a bad situation.

It also stresses being able to handle your machine in emergency manuevers and braking.

I know some will say "hey, what good does that stuff do in the course because it is all practiced at parking lot speeds or a little higher?"

My answer to that is this - if you can't control, handle, brake or manuever your machine at parking lot speeds what in makes you think you can do it AT speed?

BTW - I have been riding over 40 years and +400,000 miles and aim to do it for a lot longer.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Grimace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,255

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1











Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
the advanced safety course stresses riding defensively at all times, 360 degree awareness of your situation and the situation around you and constantly accessing "what if" situations while you are riding so you are 1) not putting yourself in a bad situation and 2) prepared as best you can be if you are caught in a bad situation.

It also stresses being able to handle your machine in emergency manuevers and braking.

I know some will say "hey, what good does that stuff do in the course because it is all practiced at parking lot speeds or a little higher?"

My answer to that is this - if you can't control, handle, brake or manuever your machine at parking lot speeds what in makes you think you can do it AT speed?

BTW - I have been riding over 40 years and +400,000 miles and aim to do it for a lot longer.
__________________
Quote:
For a minute there I thought we were in trouble.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy