Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
randomwalk101

Feedback Rating: (1)

Calif banned aftermarkte exhaust?

According to an issue from Sport Rider, Calif signed into a law that would banned all aftermarket exhaust that is not approved by EPA (pretty much all except stock)...

Sounds like the wind is behind Holsclawst. BTW, how was the "investigation"? Cop investigating cops..yeah right.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calif. OKs $20M Settlement for Jaycee Dugard Kinny The Circus 4 07-06-2010 04:54 PM
Calif. Voting Change Could Signal Big Political Shift Mr. The Circus 4 06-21-2010 10:27 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

The EPA is a bunch of hippies IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

This is true. Gov. Schwarzenegger signed it into law. It was the first article in the new Sport Rider magazine, too.

Can be found here:
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...ntroduced.html

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

another little piece of legislation that strangles small businesses. way to go liberal idiots. cali is hurting for money and now outlaws the money that buying aftermarket exhausts bring in. boycott arizona?? nah outlaw cali either that are dump them and let them become part of mexico or whatever the else they want to be.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i do not see anything in there that bans exhausts. There is no mention of the EPA either. All I see is expanded smog inspections. For years the state of California has required aftermarket exhausts on cars to meet CARB standards and have an CARB number to be street legal. All that meant is when you get inspected you better have that CARB sticker or paperwork to show the inspector if you were not stock. That would push some smaller companies out that did not have the resources to prove that their exhausts did not alter emissions from stock.

Just so you guys know the state of Texas has laws that state you cannot alter emissions devices to function in a way less than stock. That could be applied to a K&N filter, any non stock exhaust, any jet kit, any fuel controller.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Basil
all jacked up on mt dew

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CBR1000rr (street)
CBR600rr (track)
xr50 (stunt&street legal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
i do not see anything in there that bans exhausts. There is no mention of the EPA either. All I see is expanded smog inspections. For years the state of California has required aftermarket exhausts on cars to meet CARB standards and have an CARB number to be street legal. All that meant is when you get inspected you better have that CARB sticker or paperwork to show the inspector if you were not stock. That would push some smaller companies out that did not have the resources to prove that their exhausts did not alter emissions from stock.

Just so you guys know the state of Texas has laws that state you cannot alter emissions devices to function in a way less than stock. That could be applied to a K&N filter, any non stock exhaust, any jet kit, any fuel controller.
A round of applause!!!! Thank you for clearly reading this to MH.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Cali is just a different world all together. In their defense though, they had a horrible smog problem, which is why they cracked down on emissions so hard back in the day. I believe it was because of such a high population density (more vehicles in a smaller.area). There are more people living in California than the state of Texas, and they have a lot less land mass. Most of that population lives in the Southern portion of the state. It sounds like they just finally started regulating the bikes too,though I thought that was already the case.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:

My bad - I posted a link to the wrong page - that was proposed, but was then changed. It IS an anti noise law, basically. And it DOES say that any aftermarket exhaust not labeled by the EPA on any bike manufactured after 2013 is in violation. It will be illegal to even PARK you bike if it's registered in CA. This can very well come to TX, and can travel all over the country.

http://www.noisefree.org/cityord/cal...rcycle-law.php

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk4rr View Post
A round of applause!!!! Thank you for clearly reading this to MH.
Clearly read the wrong link. My fault for posting it. That is SB 435, but they have signed a NEW SB435 into law just this past Sept. Sorry.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Grimace

Quote:

i'm not arguing with you, but I was told by a Kawi dealer tech that bike exhausts were exempt from emissions testing, and I've never had a problem with getting my bike inspected. If that is a loophole around the regs you stated then said regs seem impotent.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Grimace

[QUOTE=Squoddybody;2738844]My bad - I posted a link to the wrong page - that was proposed, but was then changed. It IS an anti noise law, basically. And it DOES say that any aftermarket exhaust not labeled by the EPA on any bike manufactured after 2013 is in violation. It will be illegal to even PARK you bike if it's registered in CA. This can very well come to TX, and can travel all over the country.

[url]

what the do you do if your bke has already been jetted for an aftermarket exhaust
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
what the do you do if your bke has already been jetted for an aftermarket exhaust
Your bike wasn't manufactured after 2013. You're fine. And you don't live in CA. You're fine, again. And your bike isn't registered in CA - you're super fine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this in TX in the next five years. It's basically a noise law.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
paniro187

oh well let me put my soap box away.......

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Basil
all jacked up on mt dew

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CBR1000rr (street)
CBR600rr (track)
xr50 (stunt&street legal)

LOL!!!! It's funny how many people never even read the boxes their products come in. Power commanders clearly state this on the box, as well as most exhaust systems. OFF ROAD USE ONLY.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
oh well let me put my soap box away.......
No need - it will still hurt the manufacturers/sellers of aftermarket exhaust systems. Imagine quiet Harleys, if you can.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk4rr View Post
LOL!!!! It's funny how many people never even read the boxes their products come in. Power commanders clearly state this on the box, as well as most exhaust systems. OFF ROAD USE ONLY.
The aftermarket blinkers on my bike also stated that they were for off road use only, and to this point have passed inspection every time. And I've had police follow me at night when I was using them and to this point never had a problem. Unenforced regulations are pointless. I think the manufacturers just put those off road labels on their products to cover their .
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Irony. The fact that I am standing here in the shop on HWY 3 in League City and the jack hole kid on the R6 (I think) that goes by here most mornings during the school year (UofH Clear Lake bound?) with a completely open
GP exhaust (littl cone that just pokes out of the lower after the collector).

It makes my ears bleed, I'm a good 50 yards from the street and I'm not riding the bike. That HAS to get old ringing in your ears and I can't emagine being his neighbor....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Cali is just a different world all together. In their defense though, they had a horrible smog problem, which is why they cracked down on emissions so hard back in the day. I believe it was because of such a high population density (more vehicles in a smaller.area). There are more people living in California than the state of Texas, and they have a lot less land mass. Most of that population lives in the Southern portion of the state. It sounds like they just finally started regulating the bikes too,though I thought that was already the case.
that along with the landscaping of the area just traps the smog in and won't let it escape. look at a map of where fresno is located and then look at all of the mountains basically forming a bowl around it to basically hold the smog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Your bike wasn't manufactured after 2013. You're fine. And you don't live in CA. You're fine, again. And your bike isn't registered in CA - you're super fine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this in TX in the next five years. It's basically a noise law.
yeah, I'm SUPER FINE!!
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Some OEM lights are labeled for off road use only..... WTF????

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing in TX. But, there is some law on the books that states you cannot alter an emissions component to function in a way that is not oem stock on vehicles used on public roads. A strict reading of that law would mean nothing but stock. that has not happened yet, but the law is in place in Texas. A few years back we researched it all at work (junkyard/bodyshop/repair shop)and thought it was pretty funny since Texas has nothing in place to enforce ANY of it.

I guess overall I am not surprised to see California hold the owners of motorcycles to the same standard as the manufacturer of motorcycles. On newer bikes I have yet to see an exhaust that really makes any difference other than noise compared to stock. These are not the days where a jet kit, exhaust and filter will get you ten or more horsepower.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement