Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Reagan and Peyton's Dad
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

94' 1000F
92' VFR 750

valve adjustment

need to get this done...any ideas on where to go???? do ya think it's easy enough for me to do it myself?
100f is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
valve adjustment Slovy Performance and Modifications 12 04-02-2013 06:50 PM
valve adjustment blue46 How To's and Q & A's 8 11-16-2009 02:43 PM
valve adjustment blue46 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-21-2009 06:42 AM
valve adjustment Azylum Motorcycles Unlimited 11 05-28-2007 09:21 PM
Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Southeast OG

Experience: 9 years

Send a message via Yahoo to Marcu$Brooks
it's not to hard, take your tank off, carbs, etc. if your not comfortatable working on your bike take it somewhere
Please keep all stunt meet times an locations in PM'S only
Marcu$Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #3

I would do it yourself. you cant trust too many bike shops these days. some shops will take your bike in, keep it for several days, then give it back to you without turning a wrench and tell you "they were all in spec, now give me 300 dollars".

Happened to me once, so these days I do it myself.

It's not hard to check them if you have a feeler gauge and can use common tools, but it can be a hassle actually shimming them because you have to take the cams off and put them back on and reset the timing correctly. Not saying it's hard, but allow yourself an entire weekend the first time you do it since you wont know what shims to get until you take the bike apart and check them...and if they're out of spec you will have to go to the bike shop mid-job. Bolting down the cam plate while counting timing chain links can be a balancing act. You will probably want to invest in a digital micrometer to measure shims and find a shop that will trade you for your old ones.

If you have an inline 4, this should give you a taste of what you're up against:

Since you'll have the bike apart it's also a good time to do this:

And these:

Just do it, it's a great thing to learn and will save you boatloads of cash on this and any future bike you get.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #4

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown

Last edited by paniro187; 08-13-2006 at 05:45 PM.
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #5

'08 busa

Depends on the bike. I had to drop my radiator, front motor mount etc. If you don't have a shop manual for your bike and/or a friend with experience doing it...I'd take it somewhere that I trusted to work on it.
Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

I don't know about the 1000 but on the F3 you only have to drop the radiator and upper fairings. Pretty easy to check. I thought mine needed adjustment until I checked them myself. All were within tolerance.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote