MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #41
Azylum
The Chosen One
 
Azylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ellington
Feedback Rating: (23)
Posts: 39,629

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2











Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post

Car companies already act to protect their customers in this way. Airbags, traction control, and ABS are all safety measures that have become selling points. Cell phone jammers are fundamentally identical to these safety measures. The only difference is customer perception. Most people don't talk about the personal responsibility to avoid flying through a windshield, to not slide off an icy road, or to avoid a skull fractured by the steering wheel.

This is a little disjointed, but there is a lot to this issue.
umm, no. not even close. not at all.
__________________
motohoustonlogo
Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Bans Fracking Ban pinball The Circus 38 05-20-2015 09:14 AM
NTSB recommends ban on cell phones Bevo Off Topic 18 12-13-2011 10:53 PM
Do we need to ban cell phone usage and driving in htown? OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 08-09-2009 02:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #42
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.
 
gtdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,337

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr









I get the texting and driving, but banning talking and driving has proven to have pretty much NO impact on accident rates. NY did it, but it's only a money maker. The studies showed that talking on a cell phone caused 1.7% of accidents. Eating, adjusting stereo, applying make-up, reading newspaper, and about 60 other things were ahead of it.
__________________
RIP Coach and Andy

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #43
Rael
Communist Plant
 
Rael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,235

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r








Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
umm, no. not even close. not at all.
This seems really obvious. You wouldn't pick two sentences out of my post, bold them, then give a one line response if it weren't. So please educate me. On the topic being discussed in this thread, not how to troll.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #44
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Are you pro RFID too?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #45
Rael
Communist Plant
 
Rael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,235

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r








Am I pro RFID as a fevered conspiracy dream? Absolutely! I think we need even wilder imagined threats to personal freedom. It is too bad al queda is low tech; imagine what sorts of threats to our freedom would be possible if they were not just the foremost purveyor of incendiary undergarments.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #46
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/
 
ddgtomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,493

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S






This is called responsibility, seriously can't believe your arguing car makers and cell phone providers should take care of this.
__________________


Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #47
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








You have real issues if you don't think RFIDs are a real goal of some.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #48
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
This is called responsibility, seriously can't believe your arguing car makers and cell phone providers should take care of this.
Oh yes. And then some
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #49
Azylum
The Chosen One
 
Azylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ellington
Feedback Rating: (23)
Posts: 39,629

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2











Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
This seems really obvious. You wouldn't pick two sentences out of my post, bold them, then give a one line response if it weren't. So please educate me. On the topic being discussed in this thread, not how to troll.
sigh. and here we go with the first grade internet insults as soon as someone disagrees with you. grow up and please explain to me in all your vast wisdom how the an air bag even remotely correlates with a cell company shutting off your cell phone as soon as it sees it hit a certain speed via gps? if you like european socialist mommy states, then move to europe. forbid there be an emergency and your little nanny law will force someone to pull over to the side of the road to report it, instead of being able to do so on the way to the hospital, police station, following someone leaving the scene of an accident, etc. your idea is more dangerous than any soccer mom talking on a cell phone any day of the week.
__________________
motohoustonlogo
Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #50
Azylum
The Chosen One
 
Azylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ellington
Feedback Rating: (23)
Posts: 39,629

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2











Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
This is called responsibility, seriously can't believe your arguing car makers and cell phone providers should take care of this.
indeed. its called "well i cant do for myself, so you do it for me."
__________________
motohoustonlogo
Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #51
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
indeed. its called "well i cant do for myself, so you do it for me."
For a price
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #52
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
uhhh, put on their makeup, read a book, with the radio, shuffle through cd's, baste a turkey, talk on the cell phone, talk to the person in the car next to her, talk to her passenger, talk to herself, wildly change lanes for no reason, fall asleep, have a drink. I'm sure there's I'm forgetting.
...MAKING ME A SAMMICH!
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #53
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey
 
SpeedCheeser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston - Med Center
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,550

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves









Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
This seems really obvious. You wouldn't pick two sentences out of my post, bold them, then give a one line response if it weren't. So please educate me. On the topic being discussed in this thread, not how to troll.
The point is, that is a ludacrous idea. Anyone who would want this feature is probably already turning their phones off as they get in the car or ignoring them when a call comes in anyway. Why would they need their car to interfere with their phones if they're already one in that frame of mind?

Or is this because some people just have zero will and can't stop themselves from answering their phones, even though they know they shouldn't because they can't handle both at once. If they have that little will power, then I think they probably MUCH worse problems ahead of them.

That's without even thinking about the specific problems associated - such as how would they get it to jam signals inside the car while not affecting their neighbor's on the road? Unless you're suggesting gov't mandate that ALL vehicles are built with this, and then that's just scary. Or what if you're in a major accident and need to call for help...except for your phone is jammed.
__________________
avatar44755 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #54
Rael
Communist Plant
 
Rael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,235

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r








Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
sigh. and here we go with the first grade internet insults as soon as someone disagrees with you. grow up and please explain to me in all your vast wisdom how the an air bag even remotely correlates with a cell company shutting off your cell phone as soon as it sees it hit a certain speed via gps? if you like european socialist mommy states, then move to europe. forbid there be an emergency and your little nanny law will force someone to pull over to the side of the road to report it, instead of being able to do so on the way to the hospital, police station, following someone leaving the scene of an accident, etc. your idea is more dangerous than any soccer mom talking on a cell phone any day of the week.
I intended my earlier post as only half internet insult. I was hoping that the two lengthy posts before it indicated that I welcomed disagreement and debate.

Automatic cell phone shutoff is analogous to airbags because both enhance driver safety. Cell phone shutoff is a prophylactic measure, by making an accident less likely to occur. Airbags are a remedial measure, by making an accident less likely to be severe. Ultimately both are safety measures which restrict freedom. Cell phone shutoff prevents calls from being made in moving cars. Airbags, by activating, can vastly increase the costs of an accident and can turn a fender-bender into an accident needing a tow truck. In both cases driver safety is enhanced, while driver freedom is curtailed.

For a lot of things I favor personal freedom. For some things, motor vehicles most notably, it is impossible to separate individual action from group consequence. When that is the case, I'm completely in favor of some freedom being curtailed to make the system work more smoothly.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #55
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
I intended my earlier post as only half internet insult. I was hoping that the two lengthy posts before it indicated that I welcomed disagreement and debate.

Automatic cell phone shutoff is analogous to airbags because both enhance driver safety. Cell phone shutoff is a prophylactic measure, by making an accident less likely to occur. Airbags are a remedial measure, by making an accident less likely to be severe. Ultimately both are safety measures which restrict freedom. Cell phone shutoff prevents calls from being made in moving cars. Airbags, by activating, can vastly increase the costs of an accident and can turn a fender-bender into an accident needing a tow truck. In both cases driver safety is enhanced, while driver freedom is curtailed.

For a lot of things I favor personal freedom. For some things, motor vehicles most notably, it is impossible to separate individual action from group consequence. When that is the case, I'm completely in favor of some freedom being curtailed to make the system work more smoothly.
Yet you ride a bike in Houston. Amazing
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #56
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.
 
gtdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,337

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr









Since it has been proven by many studies that eating while driving is much more dangerous than cell phone use, manufacturers should be mandated to install robotic arms that will toss food out the window if opened while the vehicle is in motion.




any takers??
__________________
RIP Coach and Andy

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #57
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey
 
SpeedCheeser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston - Med Center
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,550

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves









EDIT: nevermind
__________________
avatar44755 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #58
Rael
Communist Plant
 
Rael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,235

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r








Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Yet you ride a bike in Houston. Amazing
I've never argued that any form of transportation should be banned. My argument is that risk enhancing behavior beyond deciding to ride or drive should be dealt with by corporations or the government.

I'm a new rider, and I ride legally and within my limits (as much as possible since I'm still getting a feel for them). By being legal, paying taxes, and carrying insurance I pay for other people's unnecessary risk: riding without a helmet, speeding, being a squid, etc. It is the same with cars. I don't eat, text, talk, get head, etc. while I'm driving. Every month I pay for the people who are less responsible.

It goes beyond money though. Every time I ride or drive I'm at the mercy of other drivers no matter my awareness or skill.

So what if I'm responsible! That makes a minimal difference when I pay taxes or insurance. It makes no difference when I get blindsided.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #59
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.
 
gtdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,337

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr









Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
get head, etc. while I'm driving.
Sorry.
__________________
RIP Coach and Andy

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #60
Rael
Communist Plant
 
Rael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,235

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r








Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
Sorry.
Of all the freedoms I give up, that one pains me the most.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy