Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which bike would you choose for a Commuter/Fun bike
DRZ400SM 17 56.67%
WR250X 3 10.00%
Neither but..... 6 20.00%
Why in the would you commute on a motard? 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
jcat
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermitent Electrical (?) Problem DRZ 400SM Trish General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 07-03-2014 10:36 PM
Commuting in boot? tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-10-2013 10:25 AM
My New(ish) 400sm houstongunblog Super Motards 17 06-01-2012 01:55 PM
Daily Commuting tbcaveman General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 07-21-2011 12:32 PM
Commuting fecnik General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 09-28-2009 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #22
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I have a WR250X and a DRZ400SM. The two bikes have the same raw 1/4 mile times according to the mags, and about the same lap times at GSS (The WRX is geared lower than stock, the DRZ higher). The WR250 handles better with newer rubber on it, but the DRZ has way better (times 2) torque. In a drag race, the DRZ walks away, 10 bikes lengths to 60.

Surprisingly, the KLX250 that Goe brought out was an equal match for the WR250X, and maybe had a little more midrange. And the KLX's are like $3800 out the door right now.

For a street bike, I'd get a DRZ over a WRX / KLX just because it has more torque, and will pull a great 2nd gear wheelie. You can gear it up for highway use and it will be as smooth as the WRX in 6th. It sits a tad lower, has lots of options for racks and luggage (and a full steel subframe all the way to the taillight), and you can easily get 40 HP out of one with minimal mods. It is a great hooligan commuter.

All that said, both of these bikes will be horrible for I-45. They have zero wind or weather protection. They top out at 90 and 95, so running 80 is 1/2 throttle with little reserve. I'd get a Ninja 250 over either in a heartbeat if I had to commute. Low seat, cheap tires, full fairing, 250 mile fuel range (vs 120 - 130 for the tards), 100 MPH top end, comfortable all day seat. The little ninjas are hard to beat for comfort, versatility, and utility.

Either way, you are welcome to run both my tards around the neighborhood if you want a back to back comparison.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #23
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Oh yeah, you can / could finance a Ninja on the Kawasaki credit card and avoid full insurance. They were like $69 a month.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #24
bonez409

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

I was thinking about the DRZ myself but my commute up 146 has that big bay town bdg. I had a gs500 for a year (20,000 miles) it was Ok on the 60+ parts on the highway. and it was confortable and fun in town. I also used my son's 2008 250 ninja for a couple trips the gs500 was way more comfortable. I also had tire problems on my gsxr1100w, I switched to roadsmart sportmax I have been getting 6000 miles off a set but I want better mileage so I am thinking about the DRZ with a full hop up yoshi motor. The narrower the bike the easier it is to lane split.
bonez409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #25
RedAggie03
Gig 'Em Aggies!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
None

Send a message via AIM to RedAggie03
SV650S? Good gas mileage, torque, comfortable, cheap, etc, etc, etc...I'd ditch the clip-ons and put naked bars on it if I was commuting. Then again, there are lots of choices. The DRZ has to be fun...I think that's the one I'd choose, but the WR looks cooler I think and the FI would be nice - I don't think I will ever have a carb bike again.
RedAggie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #26
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAggie03 View Post
SV650S? Good gas mileage, torque, comfortable, cheap, etc, etc, etc...I'd ditch the clip-ons and put naked bars on it if I was commuting. Then again, there are lots of choices. The DRZ has to be fun...I think that's the one I'd choose, but the WR looks cooler I think and the FI would be nice - I don't think I will ever have a carb bike again.
I can easily live with a single CV carb. A nice cleaning every other year is about all it needs. Takes about a half hour to take it on, clean it out, put it back on. Maybe 10 when you get the hang of it.

SV's are great commuters as well, one of my all time favorite bikes. Easy on tires, gas, maintenance.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
The two bikes have the same raw 1/4 mile times according to the mags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
In a drag race, the DRZ walks away, 10 bikes lengths to 60.

I am thoroughly confused.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez409 View Post
I was thinking about the DRZ myself but my commute up 146 has that big bay town bdg.
Wind blast is not insignificant. The riding position is as upright as it gets. I go over the 610 bridge with it daily. The Fred Hartman might give me pause.

Quote:
The narrower the bike the easier it is to lane split.
I've used a variety of bikes to commute: FZR, GSXR, and a couple Harleys. The DRZ is far and away my best commuter yet. The maneuverability is off the scale. I've enjoyed this bike more than anything else I've ever had, but I could see where it wouldn't be for everybody.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #29
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
I was thinking about the DRZ myself but my commute up 146 has that big bay town bdg. I had a gs500 for a year (20,000 miles) it was Ok on the 60+ parts on the highway. and it was confortable and fun in town. I also used my son's 2008 250 ninja for a couple trips the gs500 was way more comfortable. I also had tire problems on my gsxr1100w, I switched to roadsmart sportmax I have been getting 6000 miles off a set but I want better mileage so I am thinking about the DRZ with a full hop up yoshi motor. The narrower the bike the easier it is to lane split.
I doubt you will get much more than 6,000 miles out of the tires on the DRZ. Probably a lot less (owner want to chime in?). They have no cush drive so it is my understanding that this is what causes a lot of wear in the tires even though the engines aren't as powerful. My current SM gets only 1,000 miles on a rear. I knew about the increase in oil changes and maintenance but didn't see that one coming. Have 850 miles on the stock tires now and probably should replace the rear already.

The wide bars actually lessen your clearance for splitting but because they are so light you can easily tilt the bike back and forth to clear the rear views on other cars. My Fireblade was about a full 5" narrower at the bars than my Husky. Still wasn't as easy to split with though.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAggie03 View Post
I had an 03 SV650S as my first bike...been there and dont that..as a matter of fact I think I sold you a clear stock windscreen a long time ago...Things I want to do but cant in an SV are pop curbs, go off road, wheelie for long periods, jump railroad track.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I doubt you will get much more than 6,000 miles out of the tires on the DRZ. Probably a lot less (owner want to chime in?). They have no cush drive so it is my understanding that this is what causes a lot of wear in the tires even though the engines aren't as powerful. My current SM gets only 1,000 miles on a rear. I knew about the increase in oil changes and maintenance but didn't see that one coming. Have 850 miles on the stock tires now and probably should replace the rear already.

The wide bars actually lessen your clearance for splitting but because they are so light you can easily tilt the bike back and forth to clear the rear views on other cars. My Fireblade was about a full 5" narrower at the bars than my Husky. Still wasn't as easy to split with though.
1k on a rear tire? Im sure that is going with some softer compound...Id like to throw some avan distanzas on a DRZ for some minor trail riding

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #31
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

The 400SM is probably the way forward. I have never ridden one, but if the seat is ok, then it should be fine. My SMC seat is like a 2x4.

As far as tyres, I have at least 1500 miles on some Pirelli Scorpion Sync's (which I believe are very similar to the Avons) which includes a few rolling burnouts. They probably have another 1500 left on them. Having said all that, they are rubbish offroad and offer little to no edge grip on the street. A trade off not worth making in my opinion

Brandontx, what are you running on the Husky? 1000 miles is silly low even if it is a track tyre. BTW, I had to order a chain. I will let you know when I'm back up and running so we can terrorize Stella Link........
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team

Last edited by wiayeman; 11-29-2010 at 05:09 PM.
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #32
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I am thoroughly confused.
Yep, magazines say they are about the same in the 1/4 mile. But my bone stock DRZ with a 40 tooth (vs 41) rear pulls 60 feet ahead by 60 MPH racing with a similarly skilled rider on my 250 with +3 gearing. Rolling 5 MPH start versus John (Gabriel MH), with us switching back and forth from bike to bike. Just goes to show, and I don't always trust what I read. The 250 feels anemic compared to the 400. Ask Sifu, he rode them back to back a few weeks ago. Only one of the two bikes brought a smile to his face.

Another comparison, the WR250X ran a 1:12 at GSS, the Ninja 250 from rent my Ninja ran a 1:07 the same day, and a 1:05 in the race the next. And the Ninja definitely pulled the WRX on the straights, big time.

Here is the same basic question asked on TWTEX today: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53253
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #33
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
The 400SM is probably the way forward. I have never ridden one, but if the seat is ok, then it should be fine. My SMC seat is like a 2x4.

As far as tyres, I have at least 1500 miles on some Pirelli Scorpion Sync's (which I believe are very similar to the Avons) which includes a few rolling burnouts. They probably have another 1500 left on them. Having said all that, they are rubbish offroad and offer little to no edge grip on the street. A trade off not worth making in my opinion

Brandontx, what are you running on the Husky? 1000 miles is silly low even if it is a track tyre. BTW, I had to order a chain. I will let you know when I'm back up and running so we can terrorize Stella Link........
It's a dunlop supermoto tire and it's retarded how quick they go. Trying a regular street tire next should hold up longer.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #34
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
It's a dunlop supermoto tire and it's retarded how quick they go. Trying a regular street tire next should hold up longer.
That Dunlop is not very good.

I've gone through a couple sets of Contiforce SM tires on the SM. I like them a lot more than the Dunlops and they aren't horribly expensive. They wear better than the Dunlops and they seem to have a lot better grip. Definitely more confidence inspiring, whatever the cause may be.

I'm on my third rear tire in 8K. But I've ruined the first two on road trash so that's not a good indicator of what others should expect for tire wear.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #35
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Yeah, running race rubber on a street bike is just a waste of good rubber.
Street tires offer more than enough grip and last quite a long time on a sumo.
Even on the track, you'd be surprised how fast you can go on street tires.
You don't need a load of grip since the bikes are soo light.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #36
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
That Dunlop is not very good.

I've gone through a couple sets of Contiforce SM tires on the SM. I like them a lot more than the Dunlops and they aren't horribly expensive. They wear better than the Dunlops and they seem to have a lot better grip. Definitely more confidence inspiring, whatever the cause may be.

I'm on my third rear tire in 8K. But I've ruined the first two on road trash so that's not a good indicator of what others should expect for tire wear.
Thinking about giving those a try next. It's retarded because this bike came new with this tire so once you get past the break in period the tire is toast.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #37
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

I have owned a wr250x and loved it. I would have liked to have a little more power but that was my ONLY complaint. Still one fun little bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement