MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
slim

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
03 R1
zx7r street fighter
95 shadow 1100

rules for group

what are some rules for group rides? just asking so I know
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motohouston Group Riding Etiquette Classification Rules. morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 75 03-12-2011 11:18 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Group Ride Rules and Expectations maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 06-22-2008 09:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Don't F_ck with my kill switch!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

no passing during turns, no passing on the inside, hit swift's kill switch
Old 08-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
my goal is to see how many of you I can own on my lil 50!!! LOL...jk

I do know that the past few rides I have been on there has been atleast 1 or2 idiots who wanna act stupid or show off.
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

The 2 most important rules:

1. Wear all your gear.

2. Ride at YOUR OWN PACE.

Do not get caught up in the excitement of being led on a ride by a faster rider.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
The 2 most important rules:

1. Wear all your gear.

2. Ride at YOUR OWN PACE.

Do not get caught up in the excitement of being led on a ride by a faster rider.
yeap those are good 2
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
+1
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
MadseasoN

Experience: 10+ years

Here's a good article for you. Start by riding with no more than 2 other people before riding in a large group.

This is the main thing:
Don't try to keep up and ...
"If you aren't comfortable with the riders you end up riding with, give yourself plenty of margin until you discover your companions' habits."

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...rcycle_safety/
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Good point DenHou. Also, I learned this from DBuckzx7 Dan. Before you start your ride, hold a group meeting and laydown your rules. If you got someone who dont want to follow them ask them to find another group ride.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Thanks , Dan showed me that one.
yer wingman anytime!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcomfynumero2
no passing during turns, no passing on the inside, hit swift's kill switch
:BangHead:
Old 08-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Thanks , Dan showed me that one.
yer wingman anytime!
Thanks for the props JRock....however, I just like people to know what to expect of me and what I expect of them. I don't mind when people wheelie and , but not on your first ride with me, etc....just be up front with the people you ride with, ride your own pace, and always keep safe distance....
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
BrutusTx

Member Garage

You forgot one................NO BALD TIRES!!!!!:laughing6
Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
Sandman
SandMan's TL1000R

Bike(s):
TL1000R

Send a message via Yahoo to Sandman
DBuckzx7 for Pres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Good point DenHou. Also, I learned this from DBuckzx7 Dan. Before you start your ride, hold a group meeting and laydown your rules. If you got someone who dont want to follow them ask them to find another group ride.
that is one that i can say about Dan is that he let's you know what's going on before we start
Old 08-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
You forgot one................NO BALD TIRES!!!!!:laughing6
Man Clyde, you just can't let that one go, huh :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 You still got that jacket for me? I need to swing by and pick it up from ya if you still got it.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #18
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
1. Wear the gear! At a minimum you must have a DOT approved helmet, gloves, and jacket. We'd be much happier to see good boots and riding pants

2. NO squidding! This means no wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, etc,... We do not want to attract undue negative attention.

3. No passing on the right! If you are behind a slower rider, pass safely on the left. It is preferrable that they know you are coming so you don't freak them when you pass by them.

4. Speeding is done at your own risk! Sure we all ride a little quick at times. If you get a ticket, don't bother blaming me. If you come upon group members that have been stopped, keep riding and find a place to stop farther up the road. LEO are not going to be thrilled if a lot of other bikes start pulling up.

5. Ride your own pace! I know you've all heard this before. Take it serious!! You will not get left behind. I stop the group at all turns in the route so we can regroup. It is rare for the group to wait more than a minute or two at most even for the slow riders. I will not continue until I get a thumbs up from the last person to arrive. Really, I want everyone to take this serious. Picking people and their bikes up out of ditches is NOT FUN!!

6. Group formation. On straights, we ride in a staggered formation with at least a one second gap between the person ahead of you. DO NOT CROWD THE RIDER IN FRONT OF YOU!! If you are all over the back of the person in front of you, you need to go ahead and pass them when it is safe. There are deer out in East Texas and if they have to swerve or brake to miss a deer, you need to have time to react! The staggering is only required for straights. When you hit the curves, take whatever line you think is best to get you through the corner safely.

7. No booze!We do not tolerate drinking until the end of the day when we are off the bikes. May sound kind of strict, but that's the way it is.

8. If one gasses up, we all gas up! I know this rule bugs some people. However, it will never fail that a few people will wait to get gas because they don't "need" gas yet. This totally screws up everything because they get out of sync with the group and we wind up having to make more stops and waste more time than we would if everyone will just fill up at the same time. I will hound you about this!!

9. Passing other traffic. I expect you to pass other vehicles in a safe manner. This does not include passing through a corner on the double yellow! If the bike in front of you passes, DO NOT assume it is necessarily safe for you to pass as well!! I have seen way too many close calls because of this behavior. Remember, we don't want every car we pass to be at motorcyclists because we are obnoxious

10. Keep track of the rider behind you. You should be checking your mirrors every time you get done with a set of curves to make sure the person behind you has come through without incident. The idea is to make sure no one gets left behind as a result of mechanical issues or an accident. If you turn around, then the person ahead of you will eventually turn around, and so on, until the whole group comes back. We will do whatever is necessary to get all bikes and riders home.

11. Breaking away from the group. There will be riders that need to cut the day short for whatever reason. If you are one of these riders, you need to make sure that the ride leader knows you will be leaving and when. This is important because otherwise, it will be assumed that something bad has happened to you!
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
Man Clyde, you just can't let that one go, huh :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 You still got that jacket for me? I need to swing by and pick it up from ya if you still got it.
:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6
Yeah, still got it. Just holler at me.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #20
Motogp05
HFD Rollin in Heat

Bike(s):
SOLD

Send a message via MSN to Motogp05
Dont try to compete with anyone else in the pack. If they are faster than you or better at turns...so be it.