Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
AndreaJ200
New Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Bike won't start - is it my battery?

So...I haven't ridden in about 2 months. During the last few weeks my boyfriend has started up the bike and ridden it around the subdivision a few times with no problems. Yesterday he took it to get gas (he put in premium, not sure if that matters; I always put in regular). When he got home, the bike cut off as he was pulling up the driveway into the garage - as if he was just going to slow and not giving the bike enough power so it just cut off...but then it wouln't start. We had to push it up the driveway to get it in the garage.

When I press the start switch, the engine sounds like it tries to start, but it doesn't, and then all I hear is clicking, the display then shuts off and restarts. The horn works and the turn signals work.

Does this sound like the battery or something else or something really bad? If it's the battery, can I fix it without taking the bike to a shop? I have a 2006 Yamaha FZ6.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS - there is a possibility that the bike ignition was in the "off" position instead of the "lock" position for a few days prior to this.
AndreaJ200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike won't start bbt0009 How To's and Q & A's 10 09-06-2010 09:08 PM
Bike won't start. dnix600 How To's and Q & A's 14 08-05-2010 09:06 PM
Odd bike won't start and im charging the battery Bigmarky General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 12-12-2009 04:46 PM
Bike won't start... (need help) Supa Dave General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-07-2009 03:24 PM
bike won't start R6_htown How To's and Q & A's 5 11-22-2006 09:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Do you have a volt meter?
Check the battery voltage, it should be above 12.2 volts.
If you don't, you can bring the battery by out of the bike and I'll check it / load test it free.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Being in the off position or the locked position doesn't matter. I don't know much, but I believe I had the same problem you are having a few months back. It sounds like the battery to me. The advice that I got was to remove the seat, make sure the battery connections were good, and attach jumper cables from the bike battery to a car battery that is NOT RUNNING. Try to start the bike. If it comes on then the battery is dead. Remove the cables and see if the bike dies. If it does then your battery is really dead. Regardless, take the battery of the bike and trickle charge it, then install and try to start the bike again. If it works you may be ok, or it may out on you and strand you. I personally felt it was worth it just to buy another battery.

Edit: Didn't know Patrick was in here. Just listen to him.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
AndreaJ200
New Rider

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Assuming it IS the battery...is that a normal low/dead battery symptom for it to start and get you around and then all of a sudden decide it will not start?

I mean - it started when he pulled out of the garage, he rode it down the street to the gas station, started it up from the gas station and rode it back home. It cut off pulling into the garage and then it just wouldn't start after that. All within 15-20 minutes.

With a car you usually leave a light on or something like that and the battery is drained and then doesn't start at all - but a car doesn't usually start then not start once you have it running.

oh fun. I get to figure out how to remove my battery. *pray for me*
Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaJ200 View Post
Assuming it IS the battery...is that a normal low/dead battery symptom for it to start and get you around and then all of a sudden decide it will not start?

I mean - it started when he pulled out of the garage, he rode it down the street to the gas station, started it up from the gas station and rode it back home. It cut off pulling into the garage and then it just wouldn't start after that. All within 15-20 minutes.

With a car you usually leave a light on or something like that and the battery is drained and then doesn't start at all - but a car doesn't usually start then not start once you have it running.

don't worry, it's about as simple as it gets. And a bike can only maintain a charge in a battery, not recharge it. You probably just let it set to long.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:

I'll pray.

Here's my experience with trying to change a battery. Pretty much everything you need to know to avoid repeating is here:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67049
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
timistim
Server Admínístrator

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

Batteries can function exactly as you are describing. It is possible for them to have enough voltage to run the bike, but not start the bike. The clicking noise is usually something to do with the start motor not being able to get enough power to operate correctly. The best place to start would be to pull it and take to Patrick to test as he suggested. There are many other things that can be wrong as well. However odds are it is a battery issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
lorin70

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:

I have had batteries go like that both in a bike and a car. Working fine one minute and then dead as can be the next. I had one in a bike that started the bike fine and ran for a couple of minutes and I shut it off and went to restart the bike a few minutes later and it was so dead that it barely made the instrument lights come on and wouldn't even click the starter. Replaced it and everything was fine.

If that is the original battery then it is about time for it to go. Cold weather can make them go bad suddenly.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
AndreaJ200
New Rider

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Thanks Patrick!

Thanks @ Mala! That was a great rendition of your experience and will likely be similar to what I am about to go through hahahaa...Maybe if I shake my battery it will work again too.

So I am also going to assume that continuing to attempt to start the bike will likely only cause more damage...???

That's what I get for letting Mr. Nasty watch me for the last few months get on my bicycle instead of him. Hmph.

The bike is about 3 years old (I was mistaken when I put 2006 in the OP, it's a 2007) so I'm pretty sure it's the original battery. Maybe just time to replace it anyways....
Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Guess Who?
The new guy

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 BMW S1000RR
2012HD Street Glide
2006 Honda F4i
2003 XR50

probably needs battery replaced but get a battery tender so your battery stays charge when you are not riding it.
Guess Who? is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement