MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #41
Herf
Drum Geek.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 CBR 1000RR Witch!
Yours
Your Neighbors
Your Neighbors Neighbors
SPCA Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Thats is one of the reasons i havent done any track days yet, i am afraid that doing after a few track days i am going to quit riding the streets. I really enjoy riding with my buddies and hang out and talk when we take a break at a gas station, to me riding on sundays is like a social event, most of my friends work hard during the week and we dont get to see each other until sunday, so even when my stupid duc is out of battery i still show up in my car just to say hi to the lucky ones that do get to enjoy the day on their bikes.
Excatly. But I am going to start this spring. New trailer for XMASS...gotta give it a try.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSR HOUSTON Track day 9teeneighty3 Event Pics and Vids 1 04-16-2013 12:03 PM
S [Houston, Texas] Houston Streets Presents Street Nights djax Events, Meets and Rides 0 06-02-2012 07:26 PM
Houston-Streets/GroundDwellers 2 Day Event Pics & Vid kuyo Events, Meets and Rides 0 11-02-2009 10:48 PM
GroundDwellers/Houston-Streets 2 Day Event Oct 31st&Nov 1st! kuyo Events, Meets and Rides 13 11-01-2009 09:05 PM
Houston Track day Thack Taking it to the Track 9 03-30-2009 08:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #42
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf View Post
Excatly. But I am going to start this spring. New trailer for XMASS...gotta give it a try.
If I didnt have to work today or had my lil one...I woulda jumped on that special they were running fml

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #43
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf View Post
Trailer for one or two bikes?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #44
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Thats is one of the reasons i havent done any track days yet, i am afraid that doing after a few track days i am going to quit riding the streets. I really enjoy riding with my buddies and hang out and talk when we take a break at a gas station, to me riding on sundays is like a social event, most of my friends work hard during the week and we dont get to see each other until sunday, so even when my stupid duc is out of battery i still show up in my car just to say hi to the lucky ones that do get to enjoy the day on their bikes.
... true!! he always does! LOL
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #45
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
an old topic that comes up over and over.

track days have helped me trust my tires... i joke and tell people it has corrupted me on the street. no longer do i obey any sign that says 35mph corner. it's stupid but thanks to the track i know i can rail around it.
Thats why I dont ride that much any more. I know what I can do and when you have a lime creek road on your back yard and a ton of other curvy roads, you can get carried away (on a stretcher).

Last time I rode Lime Creek, I was railing. I couldnt help it, I had got passed real close on the same lane by a bunch of dicks on their new Gixxers on the way to Lime Creek. I was on my 02 F4i. I got on it once we got to Lime Creek and by the time I got to the fastest guy out front, he was waving me by.

My pride and machismo kicked my common sense and intelligence on their out the door and took over ship.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #46
cheefar6
Polish Representative.

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 YZF-R6 x2

Ive had one trackday, and yes its helped my street riding a ton.
The track will let you push your bike to its limits and your limits in a fairly safe environment.
I believe its made me pay closer attention to the road surface, and definately helped me make judgements of speed and corner enterance speed.

Basically after tracking the bike i feel much more 'comfortable' and 'close' to the bike, like i have much better control and menuverability.
Im definately going back a few times next season.
cheefar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #47
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Same here I enjoy the streets but not like I use to. Once you go black you don't go back
huh?
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #48
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Street riding is more about lack of common sense and ego than skill. I was, by other's accounts, a pretty fast street rider. I am now a mid pack mini racer and intermediate track day rider. Now that I have taken it to the track I have no desire to go fast on the street. It's not that I miss it, it's that the track is like 1000 times more fun. If I get on the track once a month, I have no need to street ride for the rush. I might ride a little bit just for the fun of it, but never more than 8/10ths. I know my limits and how easy it is to push past them when the adrenaline starts flowing. Keeps me in check to ride another day.

I usually ride off the track pushing my limits once or twice a day, I'd hate to see the consequences of doing that on the street.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #49
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It lets you explore the limits of your bike in a controlled environment. You can then apply that knowledge / skill in street riding situations, especially oh moments.

+1

And you can learn more in 20 minutes on the track than you can with multiple outings on the back roads.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #50
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
well, I hear about guys that are fast on track are not as fast on street turns and vice versa, guys that rip the streets, are slow on track
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #51
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Here's the real difference:

On the track you focus on yourself.
On the street you focus on everyone else.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #52
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #53
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
a track day is like MSF for people that wanna go fast..
Yea, except that at track days they don't go over strategies for safe street riding, besides that it's exactly the same only faster
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #54
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

Quote:
i feel more useful things can be learned by taking the MSF course. if it wasnt for awesome cycles i would have been down a few times already or down for good.
yes and no. MSF teaches safety on public roads and basic operations of the bike: turn it on, off, basic throttle and brake control, shifting, etc. a track day will actually teach you how to ride the bike. after doing a track day tho i came to realize just how complacent i had become on the street. i did a forest ride immediately following my td and was nervous going around curves so it made me slower on public roads. i saw this personally as a good thing because it made me more aware of the fact that i just dont know whats around that blind curve, how good of condition is the road really in, etc, but thats just me. some people do a td and go faster. ill never give up street and still have my fun, but im just not as trusting of it as i used to be.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #55
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:

the freeways are a different story but it's so open and straight...
and full of holes, seams, tire treads, and all types of that has fallen off of trucks
Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #56
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
and full of holes, seams, tire treads, and all types of that has fallen off of trucks
ya but thats in mexico.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #57
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
One of the big things I noticed after doing several trackdays is that I apply more proper inputs to the bike on the street. What I mean by that is: I don't hold myself upright by pushing on the bars nor do I "push the bike under me" to turn. You see tons of streetriders..........even fast (I hate to use this term because being fast on the street has more to do with a lack of will to live than any kind of skill) riders riding like . After a few trackdays you're loose on the controls and leaning with the bike into turns. This puts you further from the edge of traction should the road get rough or an obstacle present itself on the street. Lastly, you gradually start looking further out in front of you. When you pick up your pace enough that you activate your body's "oh " system, your subconcious takes over and starts looking for a soft place to crash. As you become more comfortable with a particular pace, you can look further and further out in front which on the street will help you see hazards sooner.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302

Last edited by Chubby Racer; 11-30-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #58
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
ya but thats in mexico.
Really? Come ride with me on 610 and I-45 North
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #59
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
You'll still enjoy the social aspect of riding with friends, riding to bike nights, cruising to church, or whatever else it is you like about the street.

The only thing that would (likely) change, is that you won't be riding -out on the street... you save that for the track.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #60
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Really? Come ride with me on 610 and I-45 North
yes. because ive never ridden 610 and I45.

it was a joke. dont go all sandy vag on me now.

Advertisement