MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
MACK
I'm voice activated

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade
'03 Yamaha Zuma 50
'03 Hoe owne 24...biach
and your maum'z!!!

Member Garage

I feel more in control of my bike now than I did before I rode track..."oh moments don't happen as often on the street any more because I have learned to calculate instead of panicking. I was a skeptic before as well, I KNOW now that track improves your street skills.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSR HOUSTON Track day 9teeneighty3 Event Pics and Vids 1 04-16-2013 12:03 PM
S [Houston, Texas] Houston Streets Presents Street Nights djax Events, Meets and Rides 0 06-02-2012 07:26 PM
Houston-Streets/GroundDwellers 2 Day Event Pics & Vid kuyo Events, Meets and Rides 0 11-02-2009 10:48 PM
GroundDwellers/Houston-Streets 2 Day Event Oct 31st&Nov 1st! kuyo Events, Meets and Rides 13 11-01-2009 09:05 PM
Houston Track day Thack Taking it to the Track 9 03-30-2009 08:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Take what u know about ur bike and riding it and you'll multiply that by 2or 3 after a trackday. Knowledge is power amigo. But u won't understand that til after u jump on the track.

All the cool kids r doin it
Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

I've explained it this way to my friends who were interested in taking up track riding:

The common statement during group rides is always for people to ride at 80%. Leave that additional 20% of your riding ability for an emergency situation, which on a street ride can present itself in any one of a thousand different ways. The problem there is that everyone has a different amount of skill/experience to rely on. That gap between 80-100% is going to be much shorter for some than for others.

Visually speaking:
0-------80-100 (this was my scale before I went to the track)
When I was out riding on a group ride, especially on 3090, that jump from 80 to 100 was very small. I could still easily get in over my head despite holding to the advice I considered good from other, more experienced, riders.

Then I went to a few track days. I got a mountain of experience and detailed instruction to improve my skill set combined with increased knowledge of my bike and what it is really capable of.

Now I have a better scale.
0---------------80---100

Now when I go for a ride on the street and I encounter an emergency situation while riding at 80% it doesn't push my abilities to the max.

Along with the increase in skill comes the decrease in percentage of my awareness that is devoted to what the bike is doing. My responses to feedback are faster and require less decision making. It happens more by instinctual response. This allows more of my attention to be devoted to all those vehicles filled with potential "negligent homicide" convictions.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #24
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

ive done a couple of track days and had a blast. you learn more on one track day than you do in probably two years of street riding. with that being said, theres no way in id ever give up the street. although as fun as track days are, i just cant fathom myself shelling out 150+ a day to ride in a circle while theres all that real estate out there i can ride and explore for free. but, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I've started to do trackdays and did 4 in 1 month. It definently makes a better rider out of you but I do find the streets less entertaining. I think its important to ride a slower, less sporty bike on the street. Its too easy to get over your head. On the tracks, over run off the track 2 or 3 times without issue. If that was the street, I can't say I wouldn't be dead.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

your street.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #27
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

i ride a lot more safe on the street now because i get my jollies on the track

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #28
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

I don't know, I'm kinda torn. I have learned a ton of stuff at my last few TDs.
However, I dunno if it helped me that much for "Houston" streets. Keyword I'm focusing on is Houston streets, not the forest, not 3090, not CRR. Here's what I mean, I believe that you have to have a mode of thinking for each. There are things I would think about on the street and not on the track: curbs, objects close to the road, stoplights, debris, cracked pavement, unaware drivers.
BUT there's also things I think about on the track that I normally wouldn't cruising on the street: Tire temp, breathing pattern, hydration, throttle maintenance, and body position.

Don't get me wrong, the experience of working with my motorcycle helps me control it and know its quirks, but in some way it is like comparing apples to oranges if we are talking about riding around in the city of Houston.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #29
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

besides just the riding skill,

the track is like a science project, experiment with geometry, suspension, air pressure, rubber compounds, air fuel, so many things to spend money on....................
a great education,but remember;

"what happens at the track, stays at the track"
.................................................. .......................................

and the streets of Houston are a completely different experience,
much more dangerous
with many more surprises for the inexperienced rider.

Awareness and being able to anticipate the next move of every driver is what is needed on the street to prevent getting into deadly situations.

images?qtbnANd9GcTFmat tkLz9XNEYzX9iEVF OcFtBauZtODsCxoj 59juO5FwGr
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

trackdays make u not want to risk it on the street anymore..
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Trackdays do help you learn more about what your bike can do. You just get more relaxed on your bike and things become second nature so you can concentrate on other things like what is around you. It definitely helps and it also makes you realize how stupid it is to ride a fully faired sport bike on city streets. It's like playing basketball with boots on. Stupid. Wrong tool for the job. This is why so many people with sportbikes give up street riding. Sportbikes make a little more sense on roads like 3090 but not much. Really aren't any roads near Houston that make a sportbike worth owning as your street toy. Recently had an 08 blade which was a nice bike but after 3 months I sold it. Had another cbr before that but it was when I first started riding and didn't know any better. I thought I would give it another try but I cannot imagine why people ride those things on city streets. It just isn't any fun. But when you are set free on a track it all makes sense. After buying my latest bike I have come to a new conclusion...if you want to have fun on city streets get a MOTHER F****** SUPERMOTO.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #32
Kodak
Riding Solo Now

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600

i have not read anything before i posted:

I am ARAMIS/YUNGSTA/SloBlack08, Track days have saved my life on the streets of HOUSTON. anyone who has rode with me can tell you im a little crazy on 2 wheels, and sometimes even on 1.

i rode with a number of groups. (houston gixxers are my favorite) People used to tell me that i will die, or be in jail if i keep my riding style up\ (this was told to me 2.5 years ago) and im still here to say the least.

Track days will
1. Make you feel better in turns you think you may not have made before doing a track day.
2. make you a faster rider if you ride the routes, or sunday rides.
3. itll help you avoid a wreck with another "cage"
4. make you love that 600, becasue youll beable to "out ride SOME 1k's"

Again track days have saved my life. And i have not changed my riding style.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
GAU-8
official thread ender.

I agree with the "science lesson".

what you learn on the track can be learned on the street, by the same class, same teacher, same principles. the track is merely a science classroom, with all the props needed for that project. but you dont "need" a track day, to be a better rider.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #34
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
There's an art for successful street riding as well, but inevitably nature of the beast will grin. Aggression doesnt necessarily mean being offensive in your riding. There can be aggressive defensive riding too like making others in cars on the highways to be uncomfortable around you; by doing that they at least know you are there.

I've spoken on this many a times, but a few quick points: always leave an 'out' when riding, learn to watch for the characteristics of the cars around you to predict their movements instead of reacting to what happens, ride on one side of the lane to be visible but protected from other drivers(doesnt always mean ride in the same side.)

As for track, any experienced instruction is always a plus in any form of hobby/lifestyle/profession.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
I agree with the "science lesson".

what you learn on the track can be learned on the street, by the same class, same teacher, same principles. the track is merely a science classroom, with all the props needed for that project. but you dont "need" a track day, to be a better rider.
True but the track is just a lot safer place. Learning the limits of your bike on the streets can cost you a bike plus a life, give or take and arm or leg.

A lot of the innocent run-offs at the track could be fatal on a road.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #36
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

there are a lot of really good comments so far!

i know that a lot of people do track day because they wanna get better at riding, and also helps you to learn more about your bike and stay away from trouble (cops, hazer, stupid other drivers, cops, craps on the road, cops, drunk drivers, cops, trees, cops, tickets, cops...cops...and more cops)

but to me the track will help you a lot on controlling your bike and knowing what your bike can handle and can do!
BUT... it does not show you how to come out of a car that pulls out in front of you, or all the hazers that the streets gives you.

i think that hazers and other that the streets gives you (like COPS)
i think that that's the main reason that why people stop riding streets after track days! its just a whole different environment!
i agree that track will make you slow the down on the streets because you get that out of your system (going fast)
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #37
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
True but the track is just a lot safer place. Learning the limits of your bike on the streets can cost you a bike plus a life, give or take and arm or leg.

A lot of the innocent run-offs at the track could be fatal on a road.
thats why most people quit riding the streets after track days!..

i know some good people that ride the streets like if they're at the track!
no names... but from another forums *hint* *hint*
Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

i think today most people are at the track...MSRH LOLOLOL...

this please is dead!!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #39
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
thats why most people quit riding the streets after track days!..

i know some good people that ride the streets like if they're at the track!
no names... but from another forums *hint* *hint*
The more track days I did, the more bored of the street that I got.

I went from having 1 bike that I would sometimes ride on the track, to having 3 bikes, 2 which I ride at the track and 1 which I sometimes ride on the street.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #40
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Thats is one of the reasons i havent done any track days yet, i am afraid that doing after a few track days i am going to quit riding the streets. I really enjoy riding with my buddies and hang out and talk when we take a break at a gas station, to me riding on sundays is like a social event, most of my friends work hard during the week and we dont get to see each other until sunday, so even when my stupid duc is out of battery i still show up in my car just to say hi to the lucky ones that do get to enjoy the day on their bikes.

Advertisement