MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
the_laydown
Bored

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Husky SMR511

Member Garage

Buying a non-running bike?

OK im looking to possibly by a bike that is not running but i want to make sure the motor is not just f**kt, out side of putting it in gear and rolling it is there anything else i can do?
possibly apply power directly to the starter?(is this possible?)
keep in mind this bike is going to be a project i.e: all electrical is screwed.
p.s. its a 07 zx6r
the_laydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a new bike Shaunpe Safety Corner Main 5 02-20-2014 09:55 PM
My bike is up and running! Nesto1000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-06-2013 11:24 PM
Buying a new bike bttran General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-28-2011 06:27 PM
When buying a new bike....... Jefe General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-06-2011 04:15 PM
Buying a new bike Lucille225 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 10-26-2010 01:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

I would want to know WHY the electrical is screwed.

No offense intended, but the fact that you ask this question tells me you don't need to buy a project bike. It is only going to frustrate you.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
the_laydown
Bored

Bike(s):
2012 Husky SMR511

Member Garage

needs a wiring harness. + a lot more
(its wrecked)

Last edited by the_laydown; 11-24-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: incomplete response
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Vividkid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioGuru View Post
I would want to know WHY the electrical is screwed.

No offense intended, but the fact that you ask this question tells me you don't need to buy a project bike. It is only going to frustrate you.
Great way to look at life...."If things might get hard, lay down and do nothing"

We're talking about bike, not a $200,000 house that may have termites and foundation issues.

If the price is right (like in the $1500 range), it has a clean title and the frame/chassis is true and all the hard bits are there, then go for it....

If you get too far into it and have a clean title, just part it...the frame alone (if clean) would get a large part of your money back.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_laydown View Post
needs a wiring harness. + a lot more
Not what (although that is good to know)

But WHY does it need electrical work?
Dumbass previous owner messed with it?
- if he messed this up what else did he mess up, over tighten bolts, forgot to use oil, etc.

Stolen and/or vandalized?
- what else could have been damaged.

Fire?
- what else was damaged.

If a harness is messed up is the ECM good?
Fuel pump (you can check that it turns on but is it delivering the proper pressure)?

Others on here can give you a list of things to look into..

What I am saying is that unless he is basically giving it to you then stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vividkid View Post
Great way to look at life...."If things might get hard, lay down and do nothing"

We're talking about bike, not a $200,000 house that may have termites and foundation issues.

If the price is right (like in the $1500 range), it has a clean title and the frame/chassis is true and all the hard bits are there, then go for it....

If you get too far into it and have a clean title, just part it...the frame alone (if clean) would get a large part of your money back.
Nonsense. I just have a balance for my time and money. Nothing is free in life.

Sure if he can buy it for the cost of a clean frame then go for it. But many people actually want to ride. The fact that the OP is asking this question points to a lack of mechanical skills (not saying he is stupid, it all can be learned) but if the point is to be on two wheels there is better ways to spend ones' money to accomplish that goal.

My price would be around $1K.

Last edited by bioGuru; 11-24-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
the_laydown
Bored

Bike(s):
2012 Husky SMR511

Member Garage

He basically is giving it to me and all that is irrelevant, I can fix any of the electrical issues thatís no problem if there a bad ECU I can change it, thatís all minor in my eyes, I just need to know that when its ready the MOTOR itself isnít going to inhibit me,
why every time I post people get on my thread talking when its really not necessary, if its not constructive donít offer it.
the wiring harness was damaged in the wreck because the bike was being ridden without fairings.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
the_laydown
Bored

Bike(s):
2012 Husky SMR511

Member Garage

BTW,
the price is 1k actually, and i already have a zx10 that runs great. need something else to fill my time
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
He basically is giving it to me and all that is irrelevant, I can fix any of the electrical issues that’s no problem if there a bad ECU I can change it, that’s all minor in my eyes, I just need to know that when its ready the MOTOR itself isn’t going to inhibit me,
why every time I post people get on my thread talking when its really not necessary, if its not constructive don’t offer it.
the wiring harness was damaged in the wreck because the bike was being ridden without fairings.
You said buy so cost is relevant. The why is also relevant for some of the reasons I gave you.

If its been in a wreck be sure to check the frame.

Did the oil survive intact? oil filter and sight glass in good shape?
For testing I will let others chime in

Best of luck!

Quote:
BTW,
the price is 1k actually, and i already have a zx10 that runs great. need something else to fill my time
AWESOME!! Have fun with it!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Vividkid

To check the motor....

Pull the cover to access the crank bolt(Wild guess, never worked on one)but I imagine it will have one like every other bike ive worked on....

Manually turn the motor over. If there's no binding and he didnt grind a hole in a case cover and run the motor without oil it will probably be ok. You may want to pull the spark plugs when you spin the motor so youre not fighting compression. If it ran before it was wrecked and it didn't break the motor case then it should still run after the fact.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

you can run power to the starter relay or starter itself and spin it over. listen for knocks/clacks/grinds/ticks/etc (and make sure it has oil). check compression. if all of the above are good, i would say its good to start with.

its an 07 kawi, so it has a TOS. as soon as it flips/falls/whatever... the engine cuts out.

i would put my money on the engine is fine, and the price sounds right.

i would say go for it
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

One thing you can't tell by turning the motor over or even if it ran but you can't drive it is the health of the transmission. A bad tranny can cost more then a used motor...
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

as long as you can shift through all the gears, and be able to rock the motor back and forth by the tire, its a good starting point.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Yeah but unfortunantly it wont tell if if the second gear dogs are wore where it popps out under power.... Just saying, I'd factor that in or at least be prepared for it. If the tranny is good then it's like hitting the lotto...

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Its a gamble you win some you lose some, but i wouldnt be too worried about it. For 1 k you could part it out and still come out ahead.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

if it was good before the wreck, and the wiring is f'd, it's 99% still good. if not, motors r cheap in htown.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
the_laydown
Bored

Bike(s):
2012 Husky SMR511

Member Garage

thanks guys for all the input, going look at it saturday, told him if the motor rolls over manually, and the gears APPEAR to be good its a GO! what do yall think about stunting this bike is it comparable to the 636 or night and day?

Advertisement