Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
2005 GSXR 600 - Sold
2010 XR1200 - Sold

Harley XR1200

Today Kingwood Harley Davidson had their demo bike day. A dozen bikes or so that could actually be ridden on the street. I opted for the XR1200 as it really is the only HD that catches my eye.

We left the dealership and rode maybe 8 miles in typical staggered formation pace style. Enough to get a feel for the bike for sure. I can only evaluate the XR as a newb rider and only against my 600 gixxer.

Seating position is obviously more upright than the gix but not laid back. I was comfortable in the position and all the controls felt easy to manipulate. The seat has a hard edge that is a bit uncomfortable but not annoying. I like the simplicity of the display and lack of windscreen. Ignition key is on the steering neck to the right which is kinda odd.

Low speed throttle, as we pulled out of the dealership and made our way, was good and responsive. I noticed that as we were stopped at the light the XR seems not to be so rough as the other bikes. Could be my perception. The bike is easy to ride and manipulate.

Once up to speed things change. As a group we came up on a stalled dump truck and had to quickly slow down. Rear brake applied felt like a wet dish rag. I actually had a millisecond panic as I thought the brake had failed! Front brakes are solid but as a whole the bike cant touch the gixxer in terms of braking. Maybe a big disc upgrade on the back would help?

Throttle was ok but the few times I was able to get into into it I was up against the 7500 rpm limiter before I even thought to shift. I was unimpressed with the throttle response.

Ok short ride review I know but I was glad to ride my gixxer home!

BTW, Dave C was pimpin deer chili at the cookoff that was pretty tasty! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xr1200.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	40212  
Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote