MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Question about bike theft

I live in an apartment complex in Pasadena. It is not a great part of town. The manager busted me keeping it in my living room, so I kept it at a friends place. That resulted in some of the paint getting up and never riding the bike. The next step, I put it in a stoorage unit. The result of that was a bill I couldn't afford, and again hardly ever riding it. I got at the manager and finally took the bike back home. I now wrap a cab,le through the front tire of the bike to the front tire of my truck. I know it isn't full proof, but so far so good. Here is the question. Is it reasonable to suspect theft to be less likely if the bike, such as mine is few and far between on tthe roads. From what I have heard, stolen bikes are parted out. With there being less demand for parts from my bike, does it make it less likely to be stolen, especially with it secured with a cable as big around as my index finger (approximately)?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIKE THEFT FAIL cuong-nutz General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-20-2015 04:05 PM
insuring a track bike - theft only- ? alrova General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-26-2010 09:26 AM
My thought for the day on bike theft around here bluewave18 Off Topic 39 10-14-2009 12:04 AM
Bike theft tschmitt General Discussion (Moto Related) 57 06-17-2009 03:18 PM
Noob Question about Bike Theft Insurance AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 01-08-2008 11:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
I live in an apartment complex in Pasadena. It is not a great part of town. The manager busted me keeping it in my living room, so I kept it at a friends place. That resulted in some of the paint getting up and never riding the bike. The next step, I put it in a stoorage unit. The result of that was a bill I couldn't afford, and again hardly ever riding it. I got at the manager and finally took the bike back home. I now wrap a cab,le through the front tire of the bike to the front tire of my truck. I know it isn't full proof, but so far so good. Here is the question. Is it reasonable to suspect theft to be less likely if the bike, such as mine is few and far between on tthe roads. From what I have heard, stolen bikes are parted out. With there being less demand for parts from my bike, does it make it less likely to be stolen, especially with it secured with a cable as big around as my index finger (approximately)?

As big as your index finger is still easy to cut with cable cutters. When thiefs are trolling apartment complexes they're looking for ease of stealing, not really marketability of parts.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 ZX636R

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
As big as your index finger is still easy to cut with cable cutters. When thiefs are trolling apartment complexes they're looking for ease of stealing, not really marketability of parts.
This. A bike cover will go a long way toward making it less desireable, especially if the cover looks old and dirty. Old dirty cover = piece of bike.

Wrap the cable around the frame. Front wheels are easily removed, frames are not.

Get an alarm, and a gun.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
There's plenty of ZZRs/99-02 6Rs on the road. Don't think your bike isn't desirable.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I had your bike. It WAS stolen!
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

common sense, apt complex parked = stolen

get full coverage, lo jack, and find some where else to store/park it.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
I can take either front wheel off and throw the bike in the bed of a truck in less than 5 min.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I can take either front wheel off and throw the bike in the bed of a truck in less than 5 min.
Oh reaaaaaallllly?

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

storage unit is the best , where there is a mgr. on duty 24-7.
Try to save your pennies & get a good storage unit.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Just get a nice cable to lock it up with and an alarm that sounds if the bike moves. What else can you do? Put it in storage? Then you never get to ride it when you want so what is the point of owning it. That's ridiculous. It's like storing lawn furniture in the garage because you are afraid it will get stolen. Well what good is lawn furniture is you can't sit on it while on the lawn? Lock it up, set the alarm, and don't worry about that is out of your control. That's how neurotic people get ulcers.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
albertinhouston

Theives steal things to make money. Its all if they can sale you bike of $100. its worth it to them. I'd suggest looping it through the bike somehow.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Just get a nice cable to lock it up with and an alarm that sounds if the bike moves. What else can you do? Put it in storage? Then you never get to ride it when you want so what is the point of owning it. That's ridiculous. It's like storing lawn furniture in the garage because you are afraid it will get stolen. Well what good is lawn furniture is you can't sit on it while on the lawn? Lock it up, set the alarm, and don't worry about that is out of your control. That's how neurotic people get ulcers.
I'll get in line with this. If you cover things on your end with locking it up properly and having good insurance on it then stop worrying about it. If someone wants your bike they're going to take it. Putting it to where you can't enjoy it only adds sting to it. Who's to say storage units are never broken in to? You could lock it up in a unit and come back 4 weeks later to find yer bike gone. So just lock it up and enjoy the bike. Let the police and insurance deal with the rest of something bad happens.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

For the extra money that you will pay for storage you could have FC insurance.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Grimace

I have FC, but am upside down on the bike. If it is stolen, Idk if I can pay the bike off and get another.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Can you chain lock or park it nears the stairs?

The old motorcycle cover is always a good idea.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
This. A bike cover will go a long way toward making it less desireable, especially if the cover looks old and dirty. Old dirty cover = piece of bike.

Wrap the cable around the frame. Front wheels are easily removed, frames are not.

Get an alarm, and a gun.
thing about the gun is,if someone tries to steal it, I will shoot them. If it goes to court, they'll likely get access to my military records. I was not only an expert marksman with both rifle and pistol, I was a coach and an instructor. I was trained two to the chest and one to the head, and in stressful situations one usually reverts back to ingrained reflex. I am afraid they would find I used unnecessary force; this is why I don't have a firearm.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
DirtyD

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2005 Kawa Mean Streak

Quote:
thing about the gun is,if someone tries to steal it, I will shoot them. If it goes to court, they'll likely get access to my military records. I was not only an expert marksman with both rifle and pistol, I was a coach and an instructor. I was trained two to the chest and one to the head, and in stressful situations one usually reverts back to ingrained reflex. I am afraid they would find I used unnecessary force; this is why I don't have a firearm.
BS, your military record has no bearing, lethal force is authorized in defense of personal propety in the State of Texas, and Texas law has no provision for "excesive" force....
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
BS, your military record has no bearing, lethal force is authorized in defense of personal propety in the State of Texas, and Texas law has no provision for "excesive" force....
I've just heard so many stories about people getting in trouble for shooting criminals outside their home and have been told that exmilitary are held more accountable.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #19
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
If they're stealing your , there is no such thing as "unnecessary force".

This isn't California, and it isn't the movies. Its real life. In real life Texas, when you poke holes in a thief, there really isn't much of an investigation into your actions.

Granted, I am NOT a lawyer and that should not be taken as legal advice, but based upon typical news stories, it does not appear the Texas po-po much give a about dead criminals.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
I've just heard so many stories about people getting in trouble for shooting criminals outside their home and have been told that exmilitary are held more accountable.
Maybe in some of the yankee states - or that other planet on the left coast, but not here in Texas.

Advertisement