Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

More Than 100 Vintage Motorcycles Go Up In Flames

(Indiana) - A warehouse stocked with more than 100 motorcycles went up in flames Tuesday night in New Albany. Firefighters were called to 56 Galt St. about 5:30 p.m. and were still putting out hot spots late into the evening. There were no injuries but the building was a total loss.

Roger Harper, who has owned the warehouse for seven years, could only watch in a steady drizzle as dozens of New Albany firefighters doused the building with water.

Harper was inside the warehouse when it caught fire. He said a spark from starting a motorcycle caused the fire.

"It just went up too quick," Harper said when asked if he tried to extinguish the blaze.

Harper said all of the motorcycles in the warehouse were vintage.

"There was nothing newer than 1990," he said. There were also six vintage cars stored in the building along with parts and tires. He estimated the loss at $100,000.

Harper said he owned the building, which used to house the New Albany Truss Co., and the motorcycles. He estimated the size of the warehouse to be 30,000 square feet, and said he did not have insurance on the building. He said he has always had a passion for restoring motorcycles and cars.

Smoke and flames could be seen for miles when the fire first broke out. Electricity was cut in the area as the fire knocked down several power lines.

Chet Ballew lives across the street from the warehouse and said the flames were "unbelievable."

"I was talking to my brother on the phone and I heard a popping sound," Ballew said. "No sooner than I looked out the door it was up in flames."

Ballew, who has lived at his residence for four years, said Harper was "a nice guy."

"It's a shame," he said. "But thank no one got hurt."

Story link HERE
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just spent $200 tires + $100 to install + $100 oil change = $400 9teeneighty3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 74 03-22-2013 08:54 PM
Flames in or out ? Lucar Off Topic 17 10-20-2012 08:39 AM
WTBuy street tire, rear 80/100-12, front 60/100-14??? ArtistMarty Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 1 10-13-2011 12:24 AM
In Flames Pyrofallout Off Topic 13 12-13-2008 01:30 PM
Vintage Motorcycles A303 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-17-2006 07:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

.. That just makes all the other vintage motorcycle out there more rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

Bummer...

What a shame...

But on a side note the value of my '73 just went up! WOOT!

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

What a moron he has to feel like for not insuring the bikes or building, I would be sick
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

How are 100+ bikes and six cars worth ONLY $100k?? A $k a piece? That's crazy... basically they were worth nothing.

Or, it was all lies - they were all stolen and he burned it down before getting caught.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

^ Thats what I was wondering, probably just a bunch of turds and basketcases
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
^ Thats what I was wondering, probably just a bunch of turds and basketcases
I mean... It was in Indiana. Prolly some old rust hoarder.

I'm willing to bet he also did some woodwork in that warehouse.
In all seriousness people, clean up after you work w/ wood. Sawdust is almost as flammable as gasoline.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.

Last edited by PimpDaub; 11-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
How are 100+ bikes and six cars worth ONLY $100k?? A $k a piece? That's crazy... basically they were worth nothing.

Or, it was all lies - they were all stolen and he burned it down before getting caught.
Right? Something is not playing out right in this story......... and a spark cause the fire? Really? Was the place doused in petrol or something?
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

More Than 100 Vintage Motorcycles Go Up In Flames

Well he says vintage, but nothing newer than 1990? When did 1990 really become a dividing line for vintage?
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaub View Post
I mean... It was in Indiana. Prolly some old rust hoarder.

I'm willing to bet he also did some woodwork in that warehouse.
In all seriousness people, clean up after you work w/ wood. Sawdust is almost as flammable as gasoline.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Houstonbussa

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post

I was wondering that too. Not a lot of money there for so many vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Well he says vintage, but nothing newer than 1990? When did 1990 really become a dividing line for vintage?
Well in cars vintage starts at 20 years. Actually vintage is the wrong word. The term should have been classic. Vintage is a whole other ball park. But has to be classic before it's vintage.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonbussa View Post
Well in cars vintage starts at 20 years. Actually vintage is the wrong word. The term should have been classic. Vintage is a whole other ball park. But has to be classic before it's vintage.
That's what I was thinking. To use the term vintage invokes images of 50s-60s or even older bikes.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Houstonbussa

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Copied from Here

Used interchangeably antique cars and classic cars are most often thought of as the same thing. In some circles it is and in some it isn't.

The term antique is most often used interchangeably with the term classic when talking about older vehicles. In many instances using one term or the other may mean the same thing, but there are differences between the two depend on the company you keep.

Antique Car Definition:
An antique car as defined by the Antique Automobile Club of America must be at least 25 years of age or older and is currently functioning and restored to comply with the manufacturers original specifications. Over the years the definition has been refined to include several classifications of vehicles. For example, in 1953 a new Class 18 - 'Antique Cars with four-wheel brakes' was added to the definition. There have been many changes in classes from time to time, but the common thread is that vehicles have to be restored, in good running condition and in excess of 25 years of age. Visit the AACA website for a more comprehensive history of the definition of antique vehicles.

Each motor vehicle department has varying definitions of the term antique vehicle. The state of New York for example, is much less discriminating in its definition than AACA (as with many other DMV's across the US). New York's DMV allows any vehicle in excess of 25 years of age to be issued historical or vintage plates. In order to qualify for these special license plates, however, the vehicle must be insured under a specialty insurance policy

Read more at Suite101: Classic vs Antique Car: Is There Really A Difference http://www.suite101.com/content/clas...#ixzz15ecvm900

Advertisement