MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #41
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles
 
Nightster Ridester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,664

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead




Member Garage





^^^Its not defending HD as the BEST Bike ever made. It's defending HD against the comments that they are the biggest POS bikes on the rode and they all leak oil and smoke etc. This is not true, yeah some very old ones do or the ones that have been ragged to death but what bikes doesnt do this when they're old or ragged out. The Harley leaking, smoking and breaking down comment just gets old. Yeah HD might not have the best or newest technology out there but thats not a Race that HD is in. HD is not sayin they have the best technology or more advance, they are saying that they build good bikes for average people that like to ride and enjoy the ride.
__________________

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
places to get tire replaced by reliant? Yayo General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-08-2014 02:12 AM
need tire replaced, anywhere near the galleria? pelochas General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-11-2014 04:15 PM
Spokes replaced Ek Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 05-21-2013 12:29 PM
Need power window motor replaced ekfraz Off Topic 11 11-13-2008 10:49 AM
Where to get Car Windshield repaired/replaced?? indoMLA Off Topic 7 10-15-2007 10:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,399

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester View Post
HD is not sayin they have the best technology or more advance, they are saying that they build good bikes for average people that like to ride and enjoy the ride.
Based on the cost, I don't think they're saying anything of the sorts. I think what they're really doing is repackaging the "outlaw/bad boy biker" image (that sportbikers are now fully in possession of, and have been for a decade) for upper-middle classers. In essence, they're NOT good bikes, they're decades-old tech craftily marketed as cool, and sold to people who's incomes can hardly be called average.


Mad props to HD for managing to position themselves in such a way that they're able to make any technological advances made by competitors in their market segment a NEGATIVE, but its all marketing and has nothing to do with the quality of the product they're selling.



In short, I'll stand by my original statement: although its not for me, I get that people want to cruise. I don't get that it HAS to be a Harley.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #43
Rael
Communist Plant
 
Rael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,235

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r








Harley is far from the only manufacturer to trade on their marque's history to sell bikes. They do it more than any other manufacturer though, and offer virtually no bikes which don't heavily rely on history as a selling point.

That said, some of their bikes are beautiful. Their beauty has more to do with an air-cooled v-twin than the efforts of Harley's designers though.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,399

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
Harley is far from the only manufacturer to trade on their marque's history to sell bikes.
True. Several italian marquees are doing the same thing. , Ducati just changes the rules in the classes they race in so that their outdated technology remains competitive. However, nobody is as successful at creating disdain towards other manufacturers as Harley.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #45
Houstonbussa
Senior Member
 
Houstonbussa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,162

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder



Member Garage


Nice ride. Stay safe on it.. Catch ya on the road sometime.

Real business, if I could have three bikes in the garage, one would be my current busa, one would be an h/d or a custom and then a wing...
__________________
It's a SYCKK Life!
Houstonbussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #46
KSims1868
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: League City, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 173

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG






Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonbussa View Post
Nice ride. Stay safe on it.. Catch ya on the road sometime.

Real business, if I could have three bikes in the garage, one would be my current busa, one would be an h/d or a custom and then a wing...
Yeah I like that idea. If I could have a stable of motorcycles it would be...
1. HD Wide Glide (or softail springer)
2. Yamaha R1 (or CBR 1000)
3. HD Road Glide
4. YZ 250

That would be my ideal stable...oh maybe some day!
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #47
morvegil
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,397


Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter






User is banned

.
morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #48
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles
 
Nightster Ridester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,664

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Except a lot of owners are doctors and lawyers...i have a HD but just saying..
Doctors and Lawyers aren't normal people? Just sayin lol
__________________

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #49
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,399

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester View Post
Doctors and Lawyers aren't normal people? Just sayin lol

Doctors and Lawyers generally fall into the 97th percentile for wage earners in this country. They also spent significantly longer in school than average. No, doctors and lawyers aren't normal people.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #50
rquirch
RQuirch
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NW Houston (willowbrook)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 241

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )








Does not matter how badass and advanced an Ibanez is, a Gibson is a Gibson.
Does not matter how advanced a Mesa boogie is, a Marshall is a Marshall.
Does not matter how much better and cheaper a Nissan is, a Ferrari is a Ferrari.
Does not matter how much cheaper you can make it in china and American made product will always be an AMERICAN made product.

yes, you could have bought better technology with a lot less money, however, a harley is a harley.

and yes, i own a harley.
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #51
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,399

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquirch View Post
Does not matter how badass and advanced an Ibanez is, a Gibson is a Gibson.
Does not matter how advanced a Mesa boogie is, a Marshall is a Marshall.
Does not matter how much better and cheaper a Nissan is, a Ferrari is a Ferrari.
Does not matter how much cheaper you can make it in china and American made product will always be an AMERICAN made product.

yes, you could have bought better technology with a lot less money, however, a harley is a harley.

and yes, i own a harley.

While I think I understand your point, only ONE of your examples is made in America. Also, some would argo that a mesa sounds better than a Marshall. I know I personally prefer it.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #52
rquirch
RQuirch
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NW Houston (willowbrook)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 241

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )








lol... i know, the American made line was just one more bullet, not necessarily alluding to the origin of the above mentioned items...

you get my point... if we all bought the "better" or "more finnacially sound" option we would end up with a bunch of we really didnt want from the start. IMO

in short, i wanted a harley so i went and bought one. i can afford it. who gives a if i could afford a yamaha as well or if the yamaha has better performance? if i wanted a stratoliner i would have bought one.
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #53
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.
 
gtdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,337

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr









Quote:
Originally Posted by rquirch View Post
Does not matter how badass and advanced an Ibanez is, a Gibson is a Gibson.
Does not matter how advanced a Mesa boogie is, a Marshall is a Marshall.
Does not matter how much better and cheaper a Nissan is, a Ferrari is a Ferrari.
Does not matter how much cheaper you can make it in china and American made product will always be an AMERICAN made product.

yes, you could have bought better technology with a lot less money, however, a harley is a harley.

and yes, i own a harley.
All of your examples became the standard because of PERFORMANCE.

Sorry, but I think a more fitting one would be:

I dont care how reliable a Honda is, A Geo is a Geo.
__________________
RIP Coach and Andy

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #54
rquirch
RQuirch
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NW Houston (willowbrook)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 241

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )








hey, if you're in russia then a honda is ... and a geo is in fact a Geo! lol...
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #55
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,399

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquirch View Post
lol... i know, the American made line was just one more bullet, not necessarily alluding to the origin of the above mentioned items...

you get my point... if we all bought the "better" or "more finnacially sound" option we would end up with a bunch of we really didnt want from the start. IMO

in short, i wanted a harley so i went and bought one. i can afford it. who gives a if i could afford a yamaha as well or if the yamaha has better performance? if i wanted a stratoliner i would have bought one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
All of your examples became the standard because of PERFORMANCE.
He makes a good point. If a Ferrari was the same performance as a Nissan, nobody would ever buy one. Harley is one of the only companys that can sell underperforming entirely on heritage/marketing.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #56
rquirch
RQuirch
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NW Houston (willowbrook)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 241

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )








Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
He makes a good point. If a Ferrari was the same performance as a Nissan, nobody would ever buy one. Harley is one of the only companys that can sell underperforming entirely on heritage/marketing.
i totally agree! my point is, people buy it because the name carries. and because it is what you want!

Remember green ketchup? tasted the same however, no one bought it.

same reason why people order coke when they really dont give a if its pepsi or kola.
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #57
morvegil
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,397


Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter






User is banned

.
morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #58
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.
 
gtdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,337

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr









Quote:
Originally Posted by rquirch View Post
i totally agree! my point is, people buy it because the name carries. and because it is what you want!

Remember green ketchup? tasted the same however, no one bought it.

same reason why people order coke when they really dont give a if its pepsi or kola.
We arent disputing this fact. We are disputing the LOGIC behind doing so. You gave examples where buying those products is a good call. Most people would never be disappointed when buying any of the products you listed.
__________________
RIP Coach and Andy

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #59
rquirch
RQuirch
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NW Houston (willowbrook)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 241

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )








Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
We arent disputing this fact. We are disputing the LOGIC behind doing so. You gave examples where buying those products is a good call. Most people would never be disappointed when buying any of the products you listed.
yeah, including a harley....
unless, you are implying that all HD owners are dissapointed?

i could not be more satisfied with my HD purchase and i dont think i've met a dissapointed harley owner to this day.

This argument reminds me of the old GSXR is discutions...

i too owned a GSXR and i loved it... also a CR250 and at some point in my childhood a yamaha... and in my case i must have been very very lucky because i was never dissapointed by any of those bikes...

anyways... Congrats on the purchase dude, you will not regret it.
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #60
eltejano
I smell pretty
 
eltejano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Round Rock
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,535

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track







"At Harley Davidson, we are proud to deliver 1947 technology at 2010 prices"

__________________
"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln
"Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it." -Navin R. Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me

Last edited by eltejano; 11-18-2010 at 06:05 PM.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy