MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #41
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Good read. What is weird to me is that more recently designed bikes with a higher level of performance run on 87 just fine. Like Bluewave's 08 Busa, and others who have posted on this thread.
There are several factors that can cause "ping". I think the problem you have may be caused by the +4 advance you said you have.
If your bike was stock I think regular gas (87 octane) would be fine.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race Gas partido Performance and Modifications 18 11-14-2012 08:37 PM
WHO HAS RACE GAS IN STOCK? Street Ninja Off Topic 11 03-07-2011 12:31 PM
Need VP Race C16 Gas - near/in Sugar Land/Houston area BlackWidow Taking it to the Track 50 06-02-2009 10:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #42
The Trav
slowpoke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

agreed.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #43
Hi-Side

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

Send a message via AIM to Hi-Side
In my racebike, I ran race gas, on race day. The bike was tuned for it. On track days, I used prem pump gas. It ran rich on pump gas and was slightly slower but on a track day with used tires, I wasn't worried about another second and a half in lap time.
Hi-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #44
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
So, i got into a heated debate with a friend the other night over the topic of race gas usage.

I argue that a lot of people run race gas merely to say "i run race gas". Most people that are running race gas DO NOT have any reason for running it.

They like the smell, or the look of the exhaust, or being able to say that yeah, i run race gas.

I'm NOT talking about mrx09/gain a few hp gas, im talking about leaded race fuels (ie. c12/c16) in a BONE stock bike with no tune.

He argues that no one runs race gas without actually needing it.

I laughed my off, as i have seen many people with BONE stock motors at the track AND on the street, running c12/c16/q16 for NO REASON except to waste money.

Most people think that if they throw 100+ octane leaded fuel "race gas" in a stock bike, it will go faster, make more hp, etc YOU ARE SLOWING THE BURN FOR NO REASON!

Obviously no one is going to say that they run race gas in a stock bike for no reason, but i want to know what yall think.

Who runs what gas, in what kind of bike?

For instance, I HAVE to run higher octane fuel in my bike. It will knock and ping like a without it. BUT i have higher static compression ratio/and more cylinder pressure than what came from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
When I ran U4 in my 1988 carbed gsxr 750, it was night and day, also dynoed it with and without, +10hp, but I didnt need the dyno to tell me that, it was WAY harder to keep the front end down at the track when drag racing it...

In my 03 600rr, no need to run it with that I had(mostly stock)

U4 is oxygenated. The power does not come from the additonal octane but from the release of oxygen molecules when it burns increasing cylinder pressure. It's an artificial way to increase compression.

It's also some VERY nasty stuff and attacks fuel pumps, injectors etc. if left in the system.

Simply putting 108 octane in your bike is not going to give you any measurable gain over say 93 if that's what your bike calls for.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #45
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I posted nothing about Octane... U4 is only 92.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #46
R1Rider2009
R1

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage

I put nothing but Shell 93 in mine. In a number of states in the US, 91 is the highest octane you can buy at the station. Most other countries sell 95 as the minimum, with Germany offering 100.

Last edited by R1Rider2009; 11-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #47
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Rider2009 View Post
I put nothing but Shell 93 in mine. In a number of states in the US, 91 is the highest octane you can buy at the station. Most other countries offer 95 as standard.
but all you need is 87.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #48
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

93 doesnt help power or do any better for your engine.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #49
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
I put nothing but Shell 93 in mine. In a number of states in the US, 91 is the highest octane you can buy at the station. Most other countries sell 95 as the minimum, with Germany offering 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
but all you need is 87.
I believe the 2009 R1 requires 91 octane minimum due to it's compression ratio / timing map.

At the end of the day that's really the point. You need to run the minimum amount of octane to prevent the engine from having detonation issues, any higher though will not give you more power. If in doubt consult your owners manual or if your motors built ask the builder.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090

Last edited by Patrick; 11-14-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #50
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I believe the 2009 R1 requires 91 octane minimum due to it's compression ratio / timing map.

At the end of the day that's really the point. You need to run the minimum amount of octane to prevent the engine from having detonation issues, any higher though will not give you more power. If in doubt consult your owners manual or if your motors built ask the builder.
Was going by this as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
If you happen to look closely at the octane number on your tank sticker, you will see that is the RON octane number. RON is +10 of MON. RON (research octane number) is 5 octane points different than US gasoline octane numbers(DON number). Most countries other than the US rate gasoline octane by RON. Basically, 92 RON is 87 at the US gas pump.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #51
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

I'm not familiar with the conversion, however not all manuals in the U.S. market specify RON or otherwise, I'm looking at 2 of mine right now. One says 86 minimum, the other 91 minimum.
What I do know that if your bike calls for 91 minimum, it will probably detonate/ping on 87, Ron, Mon, Don or jimmyjoebob,
Detonation = bad.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 11-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #52
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I use 103 or C16 when I spray mine. The is how the bike runs on a motor only pass with the high octane in it. That stuff kills power. I can see it the time slips and feel it off the line.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #53
gixxre750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I use 103 or C16 when I spray mine. The is how the bike runs on a motor only pass with the high octane in it. That stuff kills power. I can see it the time slips and feel it off the line.
dont blame your lack of riding skills on the octane
gixxre750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #54
Jerzey
The Trickster

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Often people refer to high octane gas as though it has some properties that it, in truth, does not. I thought it might be educational to make a thread about this and see where it leads.

Myth 1) High octane gas will make more power.

Octane rating is a measure of a fuels resistance to detonation. Nothing more.
This myth stems from the fact that a higher octane rated fuel, when used in a high performance engine, will allow higher compression ratios to be used without detonantion. High octane SLOWS gasolines rate of combustion.
That means it produces less power than lower octane fuels, when used in engines not requiring it's use.

Myth 2) High Octane gas is better quality than regular gas.

The octane rating of gasoline is modified by the addition of different chemicals with long fancy names. These chemicals help combustion but do not enhance the base gasolines quality otherwise.

Myth 3) High octane gas will clean your engine.

There may be additives in high octane gas that help clean deposits like minor carbon buildup and there may not. These additives are not a function of octane rating.
Of course, some motorcycle engines are fairly high compression and require the use of increased octane rated fuel but, if your carbs are dirty it will take more than spending extra money at the pump to fix them.

Much of the confusion surrounding high octane gasoline comes from the late 1960's when high performance cars became popular. The muscle car era brought large displacement, high compression engines that needed higher octane rated fuel than cars from previous years.
The oil companies capitalized on the new popularity of performance cars by advertising "Premium" and "Super Premium" gas. Just like hair care products are attributed with elusive properties like brilliance clarifiers and luxurient moisturizing, the oil companies gave high octane gas special properties too.
It was advertising hype that eventually moved into common speech. It is now used as a way of intensifying descriptions. For example movie reviews talk about "high octane excitement".
So here we are 40 years later and all these myths still swirl around the term and people keep repeating them like viral videos get passed around the internet.

From Wikipedia:

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to detonation (engine knocking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. High-performance engines typically have higher compression ratios and are therefore more prone to detonation, so they require higher octane fuel. A lower-performance engine will not generally perform better with high-octane fuel, since the compression ratio is fixed by the engine design.

from a member on the forum dont remember the SN
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #55
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxre750 View Post
dont blame your lack of riding skills on the octane
You got me. The high octane may me noticeably slower than usual.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #56
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
You got me. The high octane may me noticeably slower than usual.
sure it wasn't the high calorie meal you had from the fast food place?

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #57
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #58
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Side View Post
In my racebike, I ran race gas, on race day. The bike was tuned for it. On track days, I used prem pump gas. It ran rich on pump gas and was slightly slower but on a track day with used tires, I wasn't worried about another second and a half in lap time.

If it ran rich on pump gas, I'd have to imagine that your bike was tuned for an oxygenated fuel, not avgas.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #59
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
The Octane rating is also calculated differently in different countries. The knock-avoidance properties of a US 93 octane don't match those of a UK 93 octane.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #60
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzx14r View Post
REALLY seen any airplanes falling out of the sky . try leaving pump gas in a plane for a year and go for a ride . if i leave pump gas in a lawn mower over the winter it the carb .. pump gas is trash ..
I'd agree with you there!

The difference however is less the octane and more the properties of the fuel itself; the ethanol, the additives to stabilize it and the additives to make up for the lack of lubricity. We won't go into the other nastiness like ethanols penchant to leech moisture out of the air or it's fast evaporative rate.

Avgas is still leaded, and that lead helps with the lubrication much better than the additives we have now.

The only upside to having fuels without good lubrication as we made the switch over to unleaded is it has pushed the development and wide spread use of nikasil cylinders and hard chrome rings.

What kind of plane do you fly?

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090

Advertisement