MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
gabrielmu23

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

When its your time its your time......

Ive been riding for a year now and everyone that knows or finds out I ride tells me to sell my bike and get a car because Im going to end up killing myself. They say that by being on a bike I am helping the chances of me dying. I personally love riding and I refuse to give it up but I also think that when its ur time its ur time and regardless of you being on a bike or sitting on the couch at home if its ur time to go then you cant do anything about it. I believe that if I die on my bike then it was meant to be and it was my time to go.....am i the only one that thinks that way? or do ya think that by being on a bike we are actually "helping" the chance of dying?
gabrielmu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ive been studying all day, time for play time.... scrapp Off Topic 29 04-12-2016 10:00 AM
A little night time help for those with babies or who have a hard time sleeping. Street Ninja Health and Fitness 11 08-26-2010 06:34 PM
What time is a good lap time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-28-2009 12:35 PM
This time of year, especially these days, time to thank them all... Ridesmart Off Topic 6 12-05-2007 11:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Stricken55
Zoom Zoom

Bike(s):
12' Stratoliner Deluxe
RC51 SP2
FZ6R (sold)
SV650 (sold)
KLX250SF (sold)

Dont worry man we are all going to die in 2012 anyway. Until then ride on and be safe out there.
Stricken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
gabrielmu23

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

gabrielmu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
slim8

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1986 GS project

I ride because i want to, i mean we are all dying anyway when you think about it. So why not enjoy the time you have here?
slim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

do what makes you happy. If you feel it is worth the risk then it is. Life is short, live it like you want to. Be sure and where gear though. It at least reduces the chance of death or injury.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

/\ what he said /\
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Fatalism is for idiots. It's the excuse people use for not wearing helmets. The more stupid that you do the sooner you are likely to meet your "fate"

Riding significantly increases the risk that you might be maimed or killed, but there are many factors that you have at your control which can significantly increase or decrease the chances that it will happen to you. Education, experience, when, where, how, with whom and with what gear you ride all can have a huge influence on the risk you incur when riding. Manage the risk, don't ignore risk and attribute the outcome fate.

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
StewRat
Hive Investigator

Feedback Rating: (2)

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

Fact: You are definitely going to die.

False: You have no control over the date.

That fate stuff may make you feel warm and fuzzy, or help you deal with the fact that motorcycles are inherently dangerous, but there is no logic to it. Of course you are putting yourself at risk, DUH. If you forget about the risk you'll get complacent and that's bad. Just remember most crashes can be controlled with the two things in your right hand (while on the bike).

Oh, and to people telling you what to do? Tell them to go kick rocks, and go play in their padded rooms.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

For 3.99 a minute you can call me and we'll have a very long drawn out conversation where at the end of your spending limit I'll tell you with the utmost certainty when you will most likely, almost positively, within an appreciable range, die. Sorta. For an extra 5 I'll tell you your lucky numbers too.

I'm seeing letters...G...S...X...something. The connection is hazey.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Figure out when it's your time to be rear ended. At that time, be in a cage.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Figure out when it's your time to be rear ended. At that time, be in a cage.
Not everyone meets strange men in the back of a car by Memorial Park, Bevo...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Not everyone meets strange men in the back of a car by Memorial Park, Bevo...
Yea, I heard they ride 2007 CBR600RRs
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Yea, I heard they ride 2007 CBR600RRs
Well they used to ride Harleys, but apprarently Holtsclaw hangs around there too.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Maybe they are just telling you that you suck at it. Some people just have no business on a bike. I am not saying it applies to you, but it could. I have told a friend the same thing. He agrees though.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielmu23 View Post
Ive been riding for a year now and everyone that knows or finds out I ride tells me to sell my bike and get a car because Im going to end up killing myself. They say that by being on a bike I am helping the chances of me dying. I personally love riding and I refuse to give it up but I also think that when its ur time its ur time and regardless of you being on a bike or sitting on the couch at home if its ur time to go then you cant do anything about it. I believe that if I die on my bike then it was meant to be and it was my time to go.....am i the only one that thinks that way? or do ya think that by being on a bike we are actually "helping" the chance of dying?
Do they say this simply because you ride a bike, or do they say this because you ride like a ?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

+1
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
GAU-8
official thread ender.

EVERYTHING in life is a risk. Too much of anything is bad.

It is up to us to get maximum enjoyment, while deciding on what our acceptable risk is for doing such activities.

I am not a fatalist, I understand that EVERYTHING that happens to me in life, conciously, sub-conciously, directly my actions by some degree.

It may not be my fault I die in a plane accident, but I accepted the risk that it may happen, or I wouldn't get on. Conversely (proper term??) If I decide to drive, rather than fly, because I don't like the risks of flying...and I get killed in a car or bike accident, again, my actions help determine my demise.

One may not know about the mugging they are going to get at the store, but they went to the store regardless, knowing the associated risks...or not.

Fatalist act like I can do whatever I want, and nothing will kill me until time is up. I have a christian friend who is a fatalist, and doesn't give a about his actions..."I'm not in a rush to get to heaven, but chooses when I go, so I'm good to do whatever until that time". Its crazy. WE determine when we go, based off long term, and short term accute risks.

Its a game off addition. You can add less, but you can not subtract. The numbers will stack up.

Poof your dead.

From my phone.glaring typos I'm too lazy to fix.

Last edited by GAU-8; 11-12-2010 at 09:33 AM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
JetG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Fatalism is for idiots. It's the excuse people use for not wearing helmets. The more stupid that you do the sooner you are likely to meet your "fate"

Riding significantly increases the risk that you might be maimed or killed, but there are many factors that you have at your control which can significantly increase or decrease the chances that it will happen to you. Education, experience, when, where, how, with whom and with what gear you ride all can have a huge influence on the risk you incur when riding. Manage the risk, don't ignore risk and attribute the outcome fate.
+1, and I access the risk and decide what I am willing to risk or not risk. My choice at the moment is that I wont ride. Sold all my bikes, but do ride a cruiser here and there, but not like I use to ride. I also use to ride only track, but that was my choice. Right now the risk is not worth it to me, life it way to good right now
JetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Bornleaderbusa

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Hayabusa
2005 Honda cbr1000 sold
2003 honda cbr600rr sold

Wear your gear, take safety courses, ride within your limits. Oh and wear your gear.
Always watch out for cagers they don't see you even with eye contact.
Bornleaderbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Fatalism is beyond stupid. Justifying risk with it is even worse. Passing on a helmet because of fate is equivalent to walking across a freeway. Everyone dies, idiots tend to die sooner than necessary.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote