MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
zixx6r

Feedback Rating: (0)

New Ninja 650R - Race bike?

I have sat on this thing in the dealer and I was impressed, a little squishy suspension but its purpose out of the box is to be a cheap fun sporty bike not a race replica. So I really liked it but never thought about it again, but then I saw this :

http://www.cyclezoo.com/gallery.asp?g=Ninja650

Now it can look the part, but does it really perform.. I then heard a rumor that people who raced SV's were improving their times with race prepped ninja 650R's. anyone in CMRA seen these running around on the track yet? I have yet to see one off the showroom floor, but if the rumors are true I think I just found my future race platform in lightweight twins. As long as the aftermarket is decent, I found track fairings but no aftermarket shocks/springs just yet.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 650r rearsets switch Performance and Modifications 3 12-02-2009 06:57 PM
Ninja 650r for track bike? yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 04-09-2009 10:22 PM
My 1st bike: Ninja 650R Bomb0314 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 06-30-2008 08:08 AM
opinions on a ninja 650r? Whorenet General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 12-05-2007 04:06 PM
07 ninja 650r The Throwback General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 12-23-2006 11:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2006, 02:17 AM   #2
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
I have sat on this thing in the dealer and I was impressed, a little squishy suspension but its purpose out of the box is to be a cheap fun sporty bike not a race replica. So I really liked it but never thought about it again, but then I saw this :

http://www.cyclezoo.com/gallery.asp?g=Ninja650

Now it can look the part, but does it really perform.. I then heard a rumor that people who raced SV's were improving their times with race prepped ninja 650R's. anyone in CMRA seen these running around on the track yet? I have yet to see one off the showroom floor, but if the rumors are true I think I just found my future race platform in lightweight twins. As long as the aftermarket is decent, I found track fairings but no aftermarket shocks/springs just yet.

a sponsor on kawiforums swapped out the stock rear suspension and used the one off the 6rr or 636. they have a race prepped bike and did some tweaking to the fairing stays also.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:24 AM   #3
zixx6r

I found this shortly after posting:

http://ninja650shop.com/suspension.asp

apparently there are penske triple and doubles for the bike which is great since the shock sucks and cant be rebuilt, and the front end can either be race tech'd (revalved) or the entire front end can be swapped for a ZX-6R unit.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
a sponsor on kawiforums swapped out the stock rear suspension and used the one off the 6rr or 636. they have a race prepped bike and did some tweaking to the fairing stays also.
tweaking to the fairing stay? form or function?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
tweaking to the fairing stay? form or function?
i think he added some 636 race fairings to it. im not sure if he made some or just added what he could to it. ill see if i can get the link(s) to his progress. he has had a few threads about it and they get lost after a day of posting has passed.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

here is one link with two pics of the prepping and 636 suspension. i cant fond the one with the race fairings on but it looked sexy!

*must register to see pics*
http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=47214
Old 08-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
linjy2

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
02 SV650S
08 WR250X
08 CBR600RR

Send a message via AIM to linjy2
yeah most aftermarket shocks should fit i . they just get revavled/lengthen for individual bikes.

i seen a red one built by cyclezoo on the sv board when the bike first came out. i also bought some stuff from them before so they seem ok.

i also ran 6r and gixxer shock on my bike. as long as the length and spring rate are close to spec. they can be used as a temporary fix.

Last edited by linjy2; 08-06-2006 at 01:38 PM.
linjy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'm not aware of anyone in the CMRA competetively racing one.
It's heavier and has less power than the SV, plus some of the design choices make it problematic to race.
The 636 shock may bolt in but it's designed for a rising rate linkage vs a straight rate design.
All in all I don't think it will be much of a threat to the SV for awhile.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

it's the FZ1 of the lightweight twins!...

oh... wait... nobody races fz1's either... :eh:

ok... i'll stick with my sv... :icon_bigg
Old 08-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
paniro187

front1

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

interesting... wera?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
paniro187

16hqh38bwdeleted

Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
paniro187

2006 BLUE RIDGE PERFORMANCE ROAD RACING TEAM

NEWS

Round 1 WERA National Endurance Series
Jennings GP Track—Jennings Florida—3/25/2006

We arrived at the track Thursday night, so we could get set up and be ready to go for Friday’s practice without having to rush. Well, thanks to a parts supplier not being able to get parts done specifically for the 650R, we had to fabricate our own and took Friday morning to finish the bikes.
For 2006, WERA has started requiring qualifying for certain money paying races, taking a round of practice away. Therefore, we only had one round to get a baseline setup.

Saturday, we ended doing a shock swap and were as ready as we could be. Both Martin and Matt got comfortable on the 650Rs, citing how much better they handled over the SV650. Very encouraging indeed. But we knew they were down on power. Martin took the start, and was off to an early lead in class, pushing hard he built a slight gap on the SVs.

!!!!!!!RED FLAG!!!!!!!

This lost us any lead that we had built. Oh well, we discussed strategy for the restart.
Once again, we take the lead only to have another red flag situation. This race had the most I’ve ever witnessed.

Pit Stops

Working with our first ever full time pit crew was great!
With little time to practice, I was quite impressed. We chose not to use the pit to rider radios this round, so pit board communications was crucial. New crew members Jason Spencer and David Fisher did a great job guiding us to 30 second stops. Way to go guys.

End result: 1st Place!

Advertisement