MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Slobs on Hogs

don't laugh metric riders, this is pointing the blameful figer your way too. write him an email and say hello in a polite way and let him know what ya think.
Remember, don't be an and confirm his thoughts on the biker attitude.

Slobs on big, noisy hogs make life miserable
But under law, racket is just considered a nuisance

Scott McKeen, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Slobs ride hogs.

Slobs ride hogs that rattle windows, awaken children and scorch neighbourhoods with sonic waves of industrial thunder.

You blame the motorcycle for that hellacious, thumping roar? I blame the people on them. Narcissistic people. The kind of people who spit on sidewalks, into lineups and allow the door to slam in your face. In short, slobs.

I can't count the number of times I've been on Whyte Avenue and experienced the two-wheel equivalent of an F-18 flying under the street lamps. I've heard countless complaints from people in downtown highrises about revving, roaring motorcycles.

Frankly, I'm sick of it. There are civic bylaws and provincial laws against excessive noise. But noise is considered a nuisance, not a crime. So the police enforce the laws when time and circumstance allow it -- in other words, almost never.

In fairness, noise regulations, as written, are difficult to enforce. And the fines under the Highway Traffic Act, at $115, are not much of a deterrent. Maybe it's time to change those laws.

According to the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council, Transport Canada sets noise limits on motorcycle manufacturers at a reasonable 82 decibels.

But a University of Florida study tested a random sample of street bikes and found half were capable of 100 decibels. One bike hit 119 decibels. To put that in perspective, the ear-splitting volumes at Rexall Place during the Oilers' playoff run, with nearly 17,000 screaming fans, peaked at about 116 decibels.

Motorcycles get even noisier when they're modified with aftermarket exhaust systems. Worse yet are the hack handymen who remove the guts of the stock mufflers, turning their bikes into moving heavy metal concerts.

Some guys claim noise makes their motorcycles safer. There's an old saying in the biker community: loud pipes save lives. The adage is just an excuse for selfish stupidity.

Flemming Kristensen, the chief motorcycle instructor with the Alberta Safety Council, says there's no advantage to noise. Being visible is important to safety. Being audible? Nope. You don't hear a loud bike coming, you hear it leaving. Too late by then.

Motorcycle rider groups are not silent on this issue.

The American Motorcyclist Association, for example, has long opposed excessively noisy motorcycles.

The association realizes that if the biker community doesn't voluntarily reduce noise levels, governments will step in. Already, a number of U.S. cities have proposed motorcycle bans because of excessive noise.

Hob Murphy, the proprietor of Heritage Harley-Davidson in Edmonton, has been tackling the noise issue for years by talking to staff and clients. His firm does not sell loud aftermarket exhaust systems.

Harley-Davidson, the company, is taking a progressive position against noise, too, says Murphy. Harleys get blamed for being the noisiest bikes of them all. But the company's earliest advertising, at the turn of the 20th century, used the slogan Silent Grey Fellow.

Motorcycle gangs changed the image of Harleys. Riding a hog made you an outlaw. And how do you act like an outlaw now, if you don't wear gang colours? Scrap the mufflers. Go loud.

To be fair, Harley-Davidson gets a bad rap. Japanese and European manufacturers make motorcycles with earth-shaking V-twin engines, too. Their riders modify their bikes, too.

The key, says Murphy, is in educating motorcyclists on the nuisance factor. Good idea. But I'd go further. We need to tell owners of loud, modified bikes the ugly truth. You, sir, look like a buffoon to us. You are a slob on a hog.

For the record, I'm not against motorcycles. Most riders are good people. I spent a recent Saturday afternoon cruising on the back of a friend's new motorcycle. Loved it.

Some other friends own Vespa scooters, which are just motorcycles for hipsters, lads and metrosexuals. But even some of them modify their exhaust systems. Sigh.

For the record, I am no fan of regulating people to death. Freedom is precious. But when people abuse those freedoms, we are forced to consider limits.

The world is changing. We pack more and more people into close, urban spaces. To get along, people must respect the needs of others.

If not, communities will rise up. Laws will change. Fines will increase. Motorcycles will be seized.

You've been warned, slobs. Silence yourselves. Or you will be silenced.

smckeen@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2006

find yourself disagreeing with this person? feel free to drop the Province newspaper a line er two letting them know your opinion on their editorial today!
Email: provletters@png.canwest.com
Fax: (604) 605-2099
Mail:

The Province
Newsroom
200 Granville Street, Suite #1
Vancouver, BC
V6C 3N3

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bunch of Hogs WOOSSH Cruisers Lounge 1 05-20-2013 05:10 PM
wild hogs Urandaman Off Topic 17 08-16-2007 10:09 AM
Left lane Hogs Speed Racer General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-15-2007 08:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

I wrote him:

Personally, I ride a Harley, my pipes are a smidgen louder than most, but to give you a different perspective on the reason for it. I am a nice, educated professional middle aged white person, I do open doors for ladies and I don't spit on sidewalks. My pipes are louder because riding in Houston can be a deadly affair if people don't hear you, as in immediately take notice of your position in the lane next to them. Even then, its still a gamble as to whether your ride at the end of the day is one of no incidents. I didn't appreciate you grouping me in with "hoodlums" seen in the movies. If you would venture out of your house and actually meet some of the people on bikes, you would see a high percentage are urban professionals.
I Just wanted to drop you a note to tell you your biased point of view sucks beyond imaginable amounts and ask you if your next article could be about the noise pollution caused by the "bros" with their loud bass booming for all to enjoy. Now, that's something that irritates me.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
civicious

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
...ask you if your next article could be about the noise pollution caused by the "bros" with their loud bass booming for all to enjoy. Now, that's something that irritates me.
my thoughts EXACTLY
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
2XTURBO
that's a space peanut

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
ask you if your next article could be about the noise pollution caused by the "bros" with their loud bass booming for all to enjoy. Now, that's something that irritates me.
I hate that, we have 2 or 3 people who come into the apartments after midnight bumping my walls apart. Some night I'm gonna lose it and go down there to take care of it.
2XTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):
1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Send a message via AIM to BikerBarbie Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBarbie
Here's my reply.....

Hi!

I read your article on noisy motorcycles. After reading the article, I find your reason for writing the unclear. As a journalism major, I find that you wander from point-to-point without fully explaining the previous point.

Is the point of the article to state that motorcycles are too noisy? If it is, perhaps you should have given a little more evidence, as well as some personal experiences detailing why an occasional loud motorcycle is such a nuisance to you. I mean really, how many of these big bad motorcycles do you encounter in the course of a day or week? Does one loud motorcycle in the course of a day really make that big of a difference to your quality of life? It is really sad if a little noisy motorcycle is enough to make your life miserable. Miserable?? That’s a pretty strong word!

Is the point of the article to stereotype all bikers as “slobs?” (You sir, are a slob on a hog.) If it is, I take personal offense at that “cheap shot.” I am a middle aged, educated white woman. I wouldn’t classify myself as a slob. Additionally, the people that I have encountered within the biking community are, for the most part, extremely nice and helpful. This is in spite of that old worn, “bad boy” image. You yourself stated that you have a friend with a bike!! Is that friend a slob? Since you rode on the back of the bike, does that make you now a slob? If you needed help on the side of a road, I bet you that a motorcycle driver would stop to help.

Bottom line, I’d have to file this article under the heading of, “So what?” Meaning, you personally don’t like loud motorcycles and you think that people that drive motorcycles are slobs. Is any of that life threatening? Is any of your article life enhancing? No, not really. It doesn’t inspire me to change. It doesn’t. I’m sorry you don’t like motorcycles or motorcyclists. You really sound like an uptight yuppie that needs to get out for a great ride, let the wind blow through your hair and experience the feeling of freedom that comes from riding a bike.

I’m sorry that we cause your urban panties to be in a bunch.

Another slob on a hog

BikerBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #6
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Awesome responses.^^
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #7
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I guess he's got something against heavy metal too?

Motorcycles get even noisier when they're modified with aftermarket exhaust systems. Worse yet are the hack handymen who remove the guts of the stock mufflers, turning their bikes into moving heavy metal concerts.

communist!!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
heres my reply:

Hellow sir or madaam;
Your stinks and so duz your artikle
ps your momma slobs my hog
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!

Last edited by Ramius; 08-06-2006 at 04:30 AM.
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #9
cytukyl

Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)

Member Garage

hey do u have a link to the article???
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):
1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Send a message via AIM to BikerBarbie Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBarbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
heres my reply:

Hellow sir or madaam;
You misspelled a word....I think you meant:

Yer stanks...right??

BikerBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
heres my reply:

Hellow sir or madaam;
:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 expected nothing but this from you.
I am hoping ya sent it

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
zixx6r

What can you do, the guy's a canadian from Edmonton. Oilers in this year's stanley cup finals was his highlight for the last decade. As far as the article goes, it's written in a stream of conciousness style that just sucks.

However, I do agree with this: Some guys claim noise makes their motorcycles safer. There's an old saying in the biker community: loud pipes save lives. The adage is just an excuse for selfish stupidity.

the whole "loud pipes save lives" argument is bunk. Seriously, this is just a thin excuse riders have for justifying the joy of attempting to sound cool at the stoplight and trying to get the attention that mama never gave them. Little does the biker know that 99% of people that hear loud pipes secretly want to throw a brick at the perpetrator.

When I hear cruisers revving their engines up for 20 minutes like its a two stroke, yes that's a public nuisance. Same for sportbikes doing flybys with a D&D slip on. I also draw no distinction between a loud harley and a guy blasting his music with windows down so everyone can hear. Both are obnoxious and unnecessary.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 expected nothing but this from you.
I am hoping ya sent it
23tnoz5
23tp8vk

:icon_bigg
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
What can you do, the guy's a canadian from Edmonton. Oilers in this year's stanley cup finals was his highlight for the last decade. As far as the article goes, it's written in a stream of conciousness style that just sucks.

However, I do agree with this: Some guys claim noise makes their motorcycles safer. There's an old saying in the biker community: loud pipes save lives. The adage is just an excuse for selfish stupidity.

the whole "loud pipes save lives" argument is bunk. Seriously, this is just a thin excuse riders have for justifying the joy of attempting to sound cool at the stoplight and trying to get the attention that mama never gave them. Little does the biker know that 99% of people that hear loud pipes secretly want to throw a brick at the perpetrator.

When I hear cruisers revving their engines up for 20 minutes like its a two stroke, yes that's a public nuisance. Same for sportbikes doing flybys with a D&D slip on. I also draw no distinction between a loud harley and a guy blasting his music with windows down so everyone can hear. Both are obnoxious and unnecessary.
I have to disagree, in Houston traffic, it is the noise of my pipes that help to let the unaware know I am there. I have ridden it quiet and loud and there is a noticable difference , guaranteed.
has nothing to do with "revving" wars and noise making . Its all about my safety and its a fact it makes a difference. (<~~~ speaking from experience, are you?)

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #15
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Loud pipes are my mating call
Old 08-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
SE_Ryder122

Bike(s):
2001 R6 Champions Edition (Sold)

that was a lame article. you think he'd have something better to write about.
SE_Ryder122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Loud pipes are my mating call
[<~~~runs to insert baffles in pipes]

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

I think his brother is the guy from dallas encouraging people to open their car doors if a bike passed in traffic
Old 08-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Old 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Anything that annoys sanctimonious Canadians is cool.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement