MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
lowest maintenance 4 stroke tard

I'm considering selling/trading my gixxer trackbike for a tard. I have next to no experience with dirt bikes, and even less with trying to put them on tarmac. Which tards are the most reliable? I know a CRF450 seems to be the race weapon of choice because of power, but I've heard they like to toss valves. Any other bikes to consider/avoid?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowest Price Joshua42007 Moto Insurance 4 09-02-2011 11:51 AM
4-stroke to 2-stroke Conversion Stang Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-07-2011 09:34 AM
Lowest Car insurance I have seen anywhere mamcrackin Moto Insurance 4 06-12-2008 10:14 PM
LOWEST! GSXR FTW Taking it to the Track 52 01-03-2008 02:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

DRZ400 is easily the least maintenance intensive bike of the bunch.

oil change every 2000 - 2500 miles.
valve check every 14,500 miles.

turn it on, give it gas, & smile

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaub View Post
DRZ400 is easily the least maintenance intensive bike of the bunch.

oil change every 2000 - 2500 miles.
valve check every 14,500 miles.

turn it on, give it gas, & smile
Cool. BTW: your Idiocracy quote is wrong: its not scrow, its scrot. As in .
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

drz 400. she's a tank compared to my other thumpers and keeps on going.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Are any year models better than others?

laguna sig
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

The DRZs are the cheapest and lowest maintenance but at the expense of weight and power. Hondas are lighter and faster but more maintenance is required and you will have to convert it to supermoto duty which can be pricey. KTMs are good but are expensive. Huskys are good but not many shops work on them around here and parts are sometimes hard to come by. Aprilias are awesome but probably the most maintenance intensive of the bunch albeit the fastest and most awesomest...yeah that's a word. It's pretty much give and take with supermotos, but the hands down lowest maintenance one is the DRZ and the Kawi KLX, but the KLX is a 250.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

I'm not expecting to go win CMRA expert races on it so giving up some weight and speed is fine. Its just a short track toy for me.

CMRA #302
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Bike(s):
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Cool. BTW: your Idiocracy quote is wrong: its not scrow, its scrot. As in .
your eagle eyes! ok ok... il change it i guess.

DRZ FTW!!!

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
I'm not expecting to go win CMRA expert races on it so giving up some weight and speed is fine. Its just a short track toy for me.
Don't sell yourself short. You need to tap into your inner superstar. LOL.

The DRZ sounds like a good choice then.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Don't sell yourself short. You need to tap into your inner superstar. LOL.
I've still got the RSVR for that....

CMRA #302
Old 11-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

i was told the yam 450s are good cause of the 5 valve head just something i heard.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Are any year models better than others?
If your still looking at the off-road "E" models, I believe pre 2006 had the better FCR pumper carbs

On road models all have the same mikuni carb i believe.

Also, just a fun fact... but the Kawasaki KLX 400 is a Suzuki DRZ... not a clone, but is an actual DRZ. you can actually tear one down far enough and find a Suzuki mfg. label.

Last edited by PimpDaub; 11-02-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

How will you use the bike most often? If you want miles of smiles with less maintenance look at some of the big bore factory supermoto bikes. KTM 625 and Husky 610SMR are both great bikes with less maintenance than their 450cc stablemates. I loved my KTM 525SMR, well worth the added maintenance. This bike pulled like a freight train and handled highway speeds well, wish I still owned it!!!!
craigslist008
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

oh, and since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread I might as well point you to the best source of supermoto info in the country (IMO) www.supermotojunkie.com
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
How will you use the bike most often? If you want miles of smiles with less maintenance look at some of the big bore factory supermoto bikes. KTM 625 and Husky 610SMR are both great bikes with less maintenance than their 450cc stablemates. I loved my KTM 525SMR, well worth the added maintenance. This bike pulled like a freight train and handled highway speeds well, wish I still owned it!!!!
+1 I have a 426 street legal tard and a DR650 (not tarded but similar) and while the 426 is big fun, the big 650 is much better suited on the highway. I'd like more power but I've grown quite fond of the DR.

I picked up the 426 for track days but I'm not very consistent on it so I hesitate to go. If I don't get it on the track soon then I will probably look to trade up for a big bore supermoto for more street use.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

The bike will mainly be used at GSS and similar sized tracks. I'd like it to be street legal so I can get into some neighborhood jackassery, but it really doesn't need to be able to commute or do freeway speeds.

CMRA #302
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
I've still got the RSVR for that....
I'm jealous...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

+1 on the big bore bikes. Still capable on the track and they aren't wound out at freeway speeds. My Husky 510 cruises at 75-80 pretty easily at about 5,000 in 6th gear. Redline isn't until 10,000 so it's not too buzzy. The 610s are even easier at highway speeds but they are not as radical as the 510s and 450s. The 510 and 450 will wheelie off the throttle in 3rd if you want it to and I think the 450 comes with a slipper clutch. I've only had it on the street for a month and I've never been able to comfortably loft the front when exiting corners but I can do it easily and sometimes accidentally on this bike. The torque hits hard and makes the extra maintenance well worth it. It is hands down the most fun I've had on two wheels. The KTM 690s are also really low maintenance too. It's basically a street engine so the intervals are more like a regular street bike. They are expensive though because used ones are hard to find and they just came out not too long ago. Whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll like it. After owning one for only a month I can't see why anyone wouldn't want one in the stable.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
The bike will mainly be used at GSS and similar sized tracks. I'd like it to be street legal so I can get into some neighborhood jackassery, but it really doesn't need to be able to commute or do freeway speeds.
If that's the case, you should really consider a KTM factory SMR in 450 or 525cc configuration or a Husqvarna factory SMR in 450 or 510cc config. Fire breathing factory bikes with street capabilities right off the showroom floor!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
If that's the case, you should really consider a KTM factory SMR in 450 or 525cc configuration or a Husqvarna factory SMR in 450 or 510cc config. Fire breathing factory bikes with street capabilities right off the showroom floor!!!
I have to imagine getting parts for a husky has got to be a PITA. , I can't think of a single dealer off the top of my head that carries them!

CMRA #302

Advertisement