MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Send a message via AIM to BikerBarbie Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBarbie
The Economics of a Bike

I'd like to hear some opinions on how much money one "should" put into their bike.....

I bought my bike a little over a year ago...'96 Sportster 883 16,000 miles on it paid $3,500 cash. (no bike note!!!) I've probably put about $600 into it so far and plan on replacing my gas tank and MAYBE someday upgrading from an 883 to a 1200. I didn't shop around at all...I bought the bike from a friend--so hopefully he didn't rip me off!!

This is the first bike I've owned. Now that it's been lowered and has new handle bars, it fits me just right.

Here's my question....I have friends who ride bigger Harleys--both women and men who seem to be on a campaign to get me to buy a different bike. I get the...you'll never get that money back out of it...or the..."it's ONLY a Sportster" talk from them. At which I remind them that I don't have a bike note.

I don't ride alot yet...I'm interested in doing a little overnight travel, but I can't really see myself taking any big trips across the country on my bike.

So...what do you think??? Put money into the bike little-by-little OR wait until I can just buy a different one??

BikerBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bar Stool Economics Patrick The Circus 75 03-04-2011 09:31 PM
Economics 101... cedestech Off Topic 85 03-02-2011 07:14 PM
Economics Made Simple Triumphant The Circus 13 11-16-2010 01:40 PM
Bar Stool Economics nactx86 Off Topic 3 04-07-2009 11:08 AM
economics zero4o3 Off Topic 5 05-12-2006 05:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Red

Member Garage

If you really like the bike you got now, keep it.
Make the bike fit you.
Spend what your comfortable with on the bike.
If you got it for pleasure and not for the investment have fun with it. Don't ruin that by careing what other people think about what you ride.
I rode the same old 2000 R6 for about 4 yrs. and rebuilt pretty much everything on during that 4 yrs. and still didn't really take a big lose when I sold it. Someone will come along that likes what got and is willing to pay for it. I paid $3100 for it when I bought it and 4yrs. later sold it for $6400.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
psykohaulic
I'm your huckleberry...

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
04 R6
84 Tecate 250 3 wheeler

Send a message via AIM to psykohaulic
I say if you can picture the 883 stayin reliable and you not getting bored on it, then keep it and dont pay any attention to them.

Now if you think youre gonna get bored and a 1200 upgrade would be something youre gonna do for sure.....why not just buy a 1200. Same deal as your 883, buy a little bit older one with a little high miles for not too much, and keep it until its time for another one, be it new or used.

Bottom line though: If your bike still looks good, runs good, and you dont owe a note, you got your friends beat out big time in my eyes.

Hope I helped,

Doyle
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I wish mine was paid off. I say if it fits you and you like it, keep it. Sporties are good bikes. Don't let anyone talk you into a bike that won't fit you or you are not happy with. They don't have to ride it and pay for it.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3
if youlike the bike you have now just keep it, you dont buy a bike to make money you buy it to have fun, i know im gonna go way over bored with upgrades soon hehe
Old 08-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

i bought my 03 gixx for 6k cash...i got helmet/jacket/gloves...yoshi exhaust, and new tires front and back.....thats all....

buy what you can afford...its not cool to look rich on the road, and then be poor in the bank....:eh:
Old 08-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykohaulic

Now if you think youre gonna get bored and a 1200 upgrade would be something youre gonna do for sure.....why not just buy a 1200. Same deal as your 883, buy a little bit older one with a little high miles for not too much, and keep it until its time for another one, be it new or used.
I appreciate all of your input and opinions...

Doyle, why wouldn't you upgrade the 883?? I'm not sure that I'll ever do that, but sometimes I do wish the bike had just a little bit more power.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #8
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
1st what are your intentions? Do you want to tour the states or do you want to ride locally or do you want both? The thing is , its your decision. Do what makes you happy.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBarbie
I'd like to hear some opinions on how much money one "should" put into their bike.....

I bought my bike a little over a year ago...'96 Sportster 883 16,000 miles on it paid $3,500 cash. (no bike note!!!) I've probably put about $600 into it so far and plan on replacing my gas tank and MAYBE someday upgrading from an 883 to a 1200. I didn't shop around at all...I bought the bike from a friend--so hopefully he didn't rip me off!!

This is the first bike I've owned. Now that it's been lowered and has new handle bars, it fits me just right.

Here's my question....I have friends who ride bigger Harleys--both women and men who seem to be on a campaign to get me to buy a different bike. I get the...you'll never get that money back out of it...or the..."it's ONLY a Sportster" talk from them. At which I remind them that I don't have a bike note.

I don't ride alot yet...I'm interested in doing a little overnight travel, but I can't really see myself taking any big trips across the country on my bike.

So...what do you think??? Put money into the bike little-by-little OR wait until I can just buy a different one??
Ride the bike YOU like, build the bike YOU like, create the bike to suit YOU and YOUR likes.
Be yourself and ride YOUR bike how YOU like it.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #10
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBarbie
I appreciate all of your input and opinions...

Doyle, why wouldn't you upgrade the 883?? I'm not sure that I'll ever do that, but sometimes I do wish the bike had just a little bit more power.
to upgrade the 883 to a 1200 is cheaper than buying a 1200 to start with.
Upgrade kits are cheap, and the insurance on an 883 is cheaper as well.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #11
WFO

Bike(s):
2003 ZX9-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
If you really like the bike you got now, keep it.
Make the bike fit you.
Spend what your comfortable with on the bike.
If you got it for pleasure and not for the investment have fun with it. Don't ruin that by careing what other people think about what you ride.
I rode the same old 2000 R6 for about 4 yrs. and rebuilt pretty much everything on during that 4 yrs. and still didn't really take a big lose when I sold it. Someone will come along that likes what got and is willing to pay for it. I paid $3100 for it when I bought it and 4yrs. later sold it for $6400.
I agree.

Although I have not been riding long my experience with things similar to this is once you sink tons of money into it the fun of having it is replaced by anxiety of the capital invested. You obviously bought the bike cause you liked what you saw so stick with it if it feels right. I've thought about loading up my ZX9 with this and that but then I come back to reality realizing I just like to ride it and don't care a great deal about what people think. I will say this I have spent some money on gear (all used) which is capital expense with never ending returns.
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #12
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i say put cash into it and fix it up the way you want it or like it, it's paid for, why have another note, i've paid for my 98' and just keep putting money into it, it's the way i like it with the exception of about another $500 in parts. thats way cheaper than financing or paying cash for another one at 10k..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
thats way cheaper than financing or paying cash for another one at 10k..
10K or more! Plus then getting on the upgrade treadmill again!!

When i can, I buy used parts--bought my primary cover and seat used.

Thanks for the advice!! I like hearing your opinions....

Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
TxVrod

<-- Agrees with scoot. You bought the bike to impress yourself, not anyone else. Do what makes you happy and BUY A V-ROD then SMOKE your friends!! !:icon_bigg
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Hoguer
Hoguer

Bike(s):
Honda VTX 1300C
Honda VTX 1300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
to upgrade the 883 to a 1200 is cheaper than buying a 1200 to start with.
Upgrade kits are cheap, and the insurance on an 883 is cheaper as well.
+1
Old 08-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
texasyankee

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

If it were a 2004 or newer 883, I'd keep the bike and fix it the way I wanted. However, the motors on older 883s are not rubber mounted and vibrate at about 60 mph and get really annoying over 70. I had a 2002 883 and got rid of it after two years just to get rid of the vibration and got my Low Rider. Before doing anything to the 883, make sure you can stand that vibration.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

+1 my wife had a 2001 883 and she upgraded last year to a 2005 1200C and she is loving the difference.........
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

Think about that before investing a whole bunch in the older model. But once again if you like the bike and it's paid for and the vibey-ness doesn't bother you then I say keep on ridin' and upgrading it!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #19
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
Yeah, the vibration is a big issue with the pre-'04's. If you don't mind it then rock on. I have a friend that has an amazing '03. It kind of makes me envious, but he put a lot of money into it and i take comfort knowing that my '04 rides smoother. He is a tough guy and can handle the vibration.

I know people (in the harley community) that will respect you more for riding a pre-rubber mounted bike. When you get bored with it, put some new accessories on. Like, the 1200 upgrade or wide glide kit or even just some more chrome. that is what i do. I plan on keeping my bike for a very long time.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #20
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):

[quote=

I know people (in the harley community) that will respect you more for riding a pre-rubber mounted bike. When you get bored with it, put some new accessories on. Like, the 1200 upgrade or wide glide kit or even just some more chrome. that is what i do. I plan on keeping my bike for a very long time.[/quote]

That's a kinda funny thought...that they'd respect me more for riding a bike with vibrations!!

Actually, I hardly ever get much past 70 mph so, the vibration really hasn't bothered me. Of course I don't have anything to compare it to.

Probably for RIGHT NOW, I'll add a little bit more chrome. The gas tank will happen one day........

Of course..there are those sport bike guys that now keep trying to get me to buy one of those!!!

Advertisement