Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
4x4 AG

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
ZX6R - sold
200cc minibike -sold
1986 TRX125
1986 TRX250r

2 stroke motor work

Hey, I wasn't sure where else to ask for help, so I brought it to you experts. Where in Houston can I get 2 stroke motor work done? I recently picked up a project quad, a trx 250r, and want to get the motor freshened up. Right now I just need a new top end, so a bore, hone and piston kit. But later I want to Do somemore work to it. I like to keep my business local and support local shops, but I am not sure who all they are.

Thanks for the help.

You can PM me if you would prefer to give me your personal opinions.
4x4 AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that suck at work, your work, my work any work urbanXJ Off Topic 115 07-30-2014 06:08 PM
4-stroke to 2-stroke Conversion Stang Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-07-2011 09:34 AM
2 stroke pester Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 8 10-28-2008 05:05 PM
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke [poser] General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 07-26-2007 12:38 PM
Motor Work BrutusTx Performance and Modifications 8 01-15-2006 12:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Bean
you like apples?

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Chad aka "TheMagicMan" does some 2smoke work...not sure if he's looking for anymore or not though
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Motorcycles Unlimited is one of the best in town.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
FX4 F2-Fifty

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Honda Elite 80
Cosmo Stinger

Do you do your own work? as in taking it apart and putting it back together? or are you just wanting to drop the quad off somewhere and them do everything?

If you do your own work just the top end apart and if everything looks decent just order the next size up piton kit and a top end gasket kit. Take the jug and piston kit to a reputable machine shop and they will bore/hone it for that piston.

I would also recommend a carb kit, or if you want to wake it up a bit a carb kit+jet kit, exhaust, and filter. Depending on how much you want out of it you could also have it ported and put some after market reeds in it while it is apart. Also look at the reeds while it is apart.

Just remember that 2 strokes are simple and easy to work on.
FX4 F2-Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
4x4 AG

Bike(s):
ZX6R - sold
200cc minibike -sold
1986 TRX125
1986 TRX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
They are who did my sport bike work, but i didn't think they messed with offroad bikes.

do they do cylinder boring and honing, resleeving, and port work?? If so I will give Patrick a call. They were stand up guys when i delt with them before.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
4x4 AG

Bike(s):
ZX6R - sold
200cc minibike -sold
1986 TRX125
1986 TRX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 F2-Fifty View Post
Do you do your own work? as in taking it apart and putting it back together? or are you just wanting to drop the quad off somewhere and them do everything?

If you do your own work just the top end apart and if everything looks decent just order the next size up piton kit and a top end gasket kit. Take the jug and piston kit to a reputable machine shop and they will bore/hone it for that piston.

I would also recommend a carb kit, or if you want to wake it up a bit a carb kit+jet kit, exhaust, and filter. Depending on how much you want out of it you could also have it ported and put some after market reeds in it while it is apart. Also look at the reeds while it is apart.

Just remember that 2 strokes are simple and easy to work on.
I have it all torn apart right now. I have mic'd it and know where i am on bores and what size piston i need to go to. I just want to take it to a reputable shop that messes with these types of engines. There is alot that can be done to get more out of this engine and those folks would know better how to do that. Also, it may need to be re-sleeved, if not this time, especially next and i want to have a good contact to go to for that. Plus, the porting and port timing needs to be done by someone that knows.

I already have an exhaust and intake system, and the carb is going to be rebuilt or replaced and rejetted.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 AG View Post
They are who did my sport bike work, but i didn't think they messed with offroad bikes.

do they do cylinder boring and honing, resleeving, and port work?? If so I will give Patrick a call. They were stand up guys when i delt with them before.
Yep, they've done several of mine. Timely, great work, great guys.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

+1 to Motorcycles Unlimited

Another option you should consider is EBR Performance, they've been putting out fast MX machines for a looong time. http://www.ebrperformance.com/main.htm
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
MotoJunkie
Oh man !

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
I second that ! They rebuilt my 2 stroke and its just awsome !
MotoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
FX4 F2-Fifty

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Honda Elite 80
Cosmo Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 AG View Post
I have it all torn apart right now. I have mic'd it and know where i am on bores and what size piston i need to go to. I just want to take it to a reputable shop that messes with these types of engines. There is alot that can be done to get more out of this engine and those folks would know better how to do that. Also, it may need to be re-sleeved, if not this time, especially next and i want to have a good contact to go to for that. Plus, the porting and port timing needs to be done by someone that knows.

I already have an exhaust and intake system, and the carb is going to be rebuilt or replaced and rejetted.
YES. Definitely send the jug off to get ported. I know for one of my Shee's i sent the jugs to F.A.S.T. racing (http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/index.asp) and couldn't be happier. My play/dune port screams on the mid/top end and still has a little low end power left. They came highly recommended on the forums.
Also might want to look for a 250r forum. Im sure the guys over there could give you some good advice.
FX4 F2-Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
4x4 AG

Bike(s):
ZX6R - sold
200cc minibike -sold
1986 TRX125
1986 TRX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 F2-Fifty View Post
YES. Definitely send the jug off to get ported. I know for one of my Shee's i sent the jugs to F.A.S.T. racing (http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/index.asp) and couldn't be happier. My play/dune port screams on the mid/top end and still has a little low end power left. They came highly recommended on the forums.
Also might want to look for a 250r forum. Im sure the guys over there could give you some good advice.
Yah, i have alot of good references for out of state, but i was wanting to use local shops. I like to support them when i can.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Andy at Metric Cycles is a guru, and does everything to the highest quality standard, but be prepared to pay for it.

Advertisement