MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
morvegil
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,397


Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter






User is banned

.
morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery tender, battery charger, trickler? arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-17-2015 01:58 PM
Average battery life ArmyApe How To's and Q & A's 8 10-17-2012 06:51 AM
Oil change interval? wiayeman Taking it to the Track 22 10-07-2009 05:35 AM
Average jet change 90 5.0 How To's and Q & A's 18 11-19-2007 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Princess
MH's ex fake mod
 
Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 7,982

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti







Send a message via AIM to Princess
I'm going on 3 1/2 years on mine.It hasn't been giving me any problems, but I'm slightly worried about it.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
The Trav
slowpoke
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,552

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1











i usually manage to score just about a year out of mine. thats why i use batteries plus extreme series now... (2 year warranty) KICK BATTERY IMO
__________________
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 16,368

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide






It really depends on how often you actually ride the bike.
The more you ride it the less likely the battery is to sulfate.
__________________
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.
MAKE SURE TO MENTION YOU'RE ON MH TO GET THE BEST PRICE!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!


muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,316

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It really depends on how often you actually ride the bike.
The more you ride it the less likely the battery is to sulfate.
is that where the saying RIDE OR DIE(battery) comes from?
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
IndyRC
Mutant
 
IndyRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,416

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None









Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
i usually manage to score just about a year out of mine. thats why i use batteries plus extreme series now... (2 year warranty) KICK BATTERY IMO
I just returned a battery to Batteries Plus because they sold me the wrong one for a HD Sporty. I returned it a little over 2 weeks later and they will only give me in store credit. They said I could use it at any store locally because they don't have the one I need. Went to a different location and low an behold, they lied. I can't use it there because they are a franchise
__________________
There is no charge for awesomeness!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,320

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I just returned a battery to Batteries Plus because they sold me the wrong one for a HD Sporty. I returned it a little over 2 weeks later and they will only give me in store credit. They said I could use it at any store locally because they don't have the one I need. Went to a different location and low an behold, they lied. I can't use it there because they are a franchise
See if it will pass through a plate glass window
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
swieland
Senior Member
 
swieland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 102


Bike(s):
formula 2 Ride Smart 125
06 road king custom








made it 4 years and 4 months. went riding in the forest and turned my bike off and it went out. got towed back home and bought a factory battery from the harley store. i would not buy from walmart...done that before and had no luck.
swieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
IndyRC
Mutant
 
IndyRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,416

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
See if it will pass through a plate glass window
Ok. I'll let you know what happens....
__________________
There is no charge for awesomeness!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
3xv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 464

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
The more you ride it the less likely the battery is to sulfate.
+1

The OEM battery on my '03 R6 lasted 7 years and 3months. I am the original owner of the bike since brand new.
3xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
morvegil
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,397


Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter






User is banned

.
morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Mine is ridden nearly daily and it is tendered every night.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Fil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 162

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Tuono
SV650S








Does putting the battery on the tender really extend the life when you're riding it often? I've never tried it, but I just got a battery charger/tender and it has a detachable lead which I could easily attach permanently to my bike..

edit- do you disconnect the battery from the bike when chucking it on the tender?
Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
Does putting the battery on the tender really extend the life when you're riding it often? I've never tried it, but I just got a battery charger/tender and it has a detachable lead which I could easily attach permanently to my bike..

edit- do you disconnect the battery from the bike when chucking it on the tender?
For me, it just keeps the battery topped off. And on extended sits it keeps it from being drained. Don't know if it truly helps keep the battery in good condition longer but it makes sense to me. I like doing it out of habit so I never forget to plug it in.

And no, I have a plug hooked up to the battery permanently and I just plug it in. I never disconnect the battery.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
timistim
Server Admínístrator
 
timistim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 378

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White




Member Garage





I test mine like a 9v battery put your tongue on the leads, if you feel a tingle it is still good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
timistim for mod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #16
Vividkid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 887












I bought a cheapo autozone battery in 2006. Sadly, the bike sits on the stands for weeks on end but I start it and run it for at least 20mins every week or so and let it sit on a trickle charger from time to time. Seems to be holding up just fine. Actually rode the sumabitch this weekend. that felt nice. I will never sell it = ) It looks nice the garage and nobody would every pay me what I'd want for it....
__________________
sig
Vividkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
timistim
Server Admínístrator
 
timistim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 378

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Vividkid View Post
I bought a cheapo autozone battery in 2006. Sadly, the bike sits on the stands for weeks on end but I start it and run it for at least 20mins every week or so and let it sit on a trickle charger from time to time. Seems to be holding up just fine. Actually rode the sumabitch this weekend. that felt nice. I will never sell it = ) It looks nice the garage and nobody would every pay me what I'd want for it....
The battery tenders make a world of difference, worth every penny.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
timistim for mod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy