MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
Steven
Senior Member
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lake Jackson
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 267

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R









When I was in Germany, I got turned down for an apartment because the owner said I was too young. I was an Avionics Tech in the Air Force making 7.5 times the monthly rent and was engaged, but only 18 years old. I was really mad because I liked the apartment a lot, but I moved on and found another one. In Germany, there is really no laws against discrimination and people of all races still get jobs. Sometimes you don't get the one you want because the owner is racist/sexist/whatever but there are plenty of jobs out there, or apartments as in my situation. That's life and things aren't always fair. I just don't understand why the government creates a system like that when it is blatantly reverse discrimination.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best action scene......EVER!!!! Cap'n Stab'n Off Topic 17 01-31-2011 01:57 PM
more action...... gbalias Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 0 06-19-2010 11:27 PM
some serious supermoto action mekrew Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 7 11-04-2009 08:59 AM
affirmitive action paniro187 The Circus 20 10-20-2008 09:30 PM
some sliding action.... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-28-2008 02:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
When I was in Germany, I got turned down for an apartment because the owner said I was too young. I was an Avionics Tech in the Air Force making 7.5 times the monthly rent and was engaged, but only 18 years old. I was really mad because I liked the apartment a lot, but I moved on and found another one. In Germany, there is really no laws against discrimination and people of all races still get jobs. Sometimes you don't get the one you want because the owner is racist/sexist/whatever but there are plenty of jobs out there, or apartments as in my situation. That's life and things aren't always fair. I just don't understand why the government creates a system like that when it is blatantly reverse discrimination.
so as long as it's discrimination that benefits you it's ok right???
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #23
MadseasoN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 77002
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,603

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
you're right it shouldn't but how sure are you that people really think like you. what if you went in for a sjob and the hiring person was black and picked someone black over you just because they wer eblack you'd be right???
I'm not sure. If someone is that ignorant to deny you a job because of your race then it's probably not a place you'd want to work at anyway. Right?

Besides I think I've been turned down at least twice because of my race. You know what, f**k 'em. I've ended up with better jobs both times.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #24
Steven
Senior Member
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lake Jackson
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 267

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R









AA was made to stop discrimination, however the system discriminates itself. If anything, AA promotes racism because it puts an emphasis on skin color.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #25
CBR RN
An observer
 
CBR RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 293


Bike(s):
had an F4i









Paniro...another dumbass thread. They don't like to hire Filipinos @ country clubs/golf courses. I know from experience. Paniro, remember when you told me that a daycare didn't hire you!
__________________
Roland
CBR RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR RN
Paniro...another dumbass thread. They don't like to hire Filipinos @ country clubs/golf courses. I know from experience. Paniro, remember when you told me that a daycare didn't hire you! :)
ummm never said that and if i did i was drunk as . proof please. rolands upset because of those clean passes i was catching as i was owning his co-workers. :icon_bigg
people with records play best look at the cowboys. :laughing6
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #27
CBR RN
An observer
 
CBR RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 293


Bike(s):
had an F4i









I'm just messin' with your thread...flag football: next month. Tell Cedric the Quarterback to loosen up his arm.
__________________
Roland
CBR RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #28
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR RN
I'm just messin' with your thread...flag football: next month. Tell Cedric the Quarterback to loosen up his arm.
bring it. i think.
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #29
Nupe2L
I bet my Pipes are louder
 
Nupe2L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I get around........
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 128


Bike(s):
Which one??









Send a message via AIM to Nupe2L Send a message via Yahoo to Nupe2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
i think affirmitive action bullsh!t. that came about from folks ( whatever their creed or nationality ) complaining that the government needs to help them because they cant help themselves. im sick of it. its gotten so horrible. not trying to sound racist, but its getting to the point where honest hard working white folks are having trouble getting jobs, because workplaces have to fill their minority quota. i dont care if your black, white, asian, indian, whatever.... the best PERSON for the job should get it.


I personally feel that the A.A. is a great thing.....And no it has nothing to do with me being a certain race(Although I do feel it was a breakthrough) However I can think of a certain situation when I first graduated from college and the position spec. stated that a drgree WAS REQUIRED..... Well the person who got the job was not only unqualified but didnt have a degree....However their parents lived in the same sub-division and the hiring manager......

Go Figure
Nupe2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #30
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by Nupe2L
I personally feel that the A.A. is a great thing.....And no it has nothing to do with me being a certain race(Although I do feel it was a breakthrough) However I can think of a certain situation when I first graduated from college and the position spec. stated that a drgree WAS REQUIRED..... Well the person who got the job was not only unqualified but didnt have a degree....However their parents lived in the same sub-division and the hiring manager......

Go Figure
example right there don't tell me the good 'ole boy doesn't happen. also don't be stupid to think that kids who are privledged get into schools with lower scores than inner city kids who have no money.
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #31
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where I didda
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,232


Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater









Send a message via AIM to Ramius
I believe in affirmative action, I'm gonna go get hired on as the next Houston Rocket because I can clearly see every game their quota of white people is clearly lacking, Hellooooooo early retirement!

Really though, I think that racism is something that would just die out if people were no longer able to make money off of promoting it. I'm young, and most people I know my age honestly don't give a what color/smell/height you are, but the older people are so adament about it that they push their views on us. This comes from both sides of the fence too.

I see discrimination a lot in my daily life though, and I'll be honest, it almost always deals more with class than race, In high school if you were able to play a sport, especially football you were suddenly immune from getting arrested for PI, you were not required to do homework, and if you picked a fight with someone, the person you beat up would get in trouble instead of you. Sports make money and people tryng to get a good grade do not.

Get out of high school and it's the same thing, if your poor and you get a speeding ticket, you pay a fine and you get a bad record, your insurance goes up and your chance of getting a warning the next time diminishes because you have a record now. Get a speeding ticket when your well off, you pay a fee to get the ticket deferred, ticket goes off the record and your insurance doesn't move, and you stay clean as a whistle.

Really though, these things are only important if you let them be, I find if you carry yourself with a good attitude and you stay optimistic, you will find success despite these problems.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #32
law750
law750
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: richmond and edloe
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 85


Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750









Paniro, your argument appears to run more or less as follows:

1. Affirmative Action seems unfair, because it takes what was a perfectly good merit based system and biases it based on race/.

2. However, because there is "some good ol' boy goin on," the system is already unfair.

3. Therefore, in order to make the system fair again, or as fair as possible, we should provide a very limited form of AA to counterbalance the "good ol boy ."

Here's what I think:

1. AA is unfair, because jobs and school absolutely ought to be merit based in terms of hiring and admission (respectively), whereas AA is the opposite. AA brings color/ into the matter, and thus violates the very Civil Rights Legislation it is stated to protect/support/proliferate.

2. AA is unfair, because it stigmatizes those who receive its benefits. Meaning, saying that minorities need this help puts a brand on them once in the university/work place so ppl can't trust that they are competent. In this sense, it provides another skin color based hurdle for them to jump. Condy Rice doesn't need any help to prove she is more intelligent than 99% of the population, and it is INSULTING to her to imply that she does just cuz of her skin color.

3. But, sir, you say, what about the good ol boy ? Well, I dont deny that whites/the wealthy/ the well connected etc receive advantages and privaleges. However, installing other unfair measures, no matter how limited in scope, doesn't make those situations better. TWO WRONGS DON"T MAKE A RIGHT!!! This is common sense. If your house is on fire, it does no good for you to burn down your neighbor's house. Then, we just have two fires. In this sense, AA makes everything worse.

4. Finally, AA causes racism. If someone is racist, and they see a black dude get a job because of AA, does he suddenly respect him and stop being racist? NO! He hates blacks all the more, only now, he has direct and personal venom toward ppl.

In conclusion, AA causes racism, the stigmatization of minorities, doesn't solve the problem, and is blatantly and inexhorably unfair. Let's make it stop, and get on the road to burying the color based decision making once and for all!
law750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #33
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












makes no sense what you'r esaying basically you're saying sure it happens but let it happen and some how someway youll find a way. Yeah the system i think is broke in some ways and i think to counterbalance that you need this in place. Sure i can hire a person white black hispanic or whatever and not be worried about race BUT there are sure alot of people that can't. Alot of people wil hire who they identify with more and you know it. How's that fair to anyone. I don't care about Rice and I'll be honest when i say she's a "token black woman" the right put up there to warm over black voters. if people say affirmitive action is reverse rascism then that means the other way is rascism and how's that right???

Mind you I'm saying if two people are equal levels both are qualified candidates. I'm not for giving a minority or a woman the job or place in school if he or she doesn't desefrve to be there. In my AA world the person benefiting from AA has to have he/she ducks in a row.
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown

Last edited by paniro187; 08-02-2006 at 11:05 PM.
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #34
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where I didda
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,232


Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater









Send a message via AIM to Ramius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniro187
I don't care about Rice and I'll be honest when i say she's a "token black woman" the right put up there to warm over black voters.
If thats how you feel then you should be happy, because if that were true, it would be affirmative action, in action. Wouldn't it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!

Last edited by Ramius; 08-02-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #35
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where I didda
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,232


Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater









Send a message via AIM to Ramius
But I disagree with you, I think she worked hard to get ahead and made something of her self, just like Colin Powell and any other successfull non-white person. It seems like your saying only white people are successfull,and if someone else is in a position like that, they didn't earn it because they are just a token person.... thats not giving non-white people much credit is it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #36
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
If thats how you feel then you should be happy, because if that were true, it would be affirmative action, in action. Wouldn't it?
i don't get it. :eh: I doubt i've ever benefitted from it and I also doubt people that say they were victims of it actually ever really knew that they were victims of it. Sure a black person got the job but do they really know that person was not more qualified or a better candidate than them???? I'm sure most say it's that AA to make themselves feel better.
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #37
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
But I disagree with you, I think she worked hard to get ahead and made something of her self, just like Colin Powell and any other successfull non-white person. It seems like your saying only white people are successfull,and if someone else is in a position like that, they didn't earn it because they are just a token person.... thats not giving non-white people much credit is it?
if hse deserves it so be it. cool beans and all. I just don't believe in either party and i think everything they do is to win voters. the dems are worse of the two yet they act like minorities should vote for them.
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 PM   #38
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where I didda
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,232


Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater









Send a message via AIM to Ramius
Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
makes no sense what you'r esaying basically you're saying sure it happens but let it happen and some how someway youll find a way. Yeah the system i think is broke in some ways and i think to counterbalance that you need this in place. Sure i can hire a person white black hispanic or whatever and not be worried about race BUT there are sure alot of people that can't. Alot of people wil hire who they identify with more and you know it. How's that fair to anyone. I don't care about Rice and I'll be honest when i say she's a "token black woman" the right put up there to warm over black voters. if people say affirmitive action is reverse rascism then that means the other way is rascism and how's that right???

Mind you I'm saying if two people are equal levels both are qualified candidates. I'm not for giving a minority or a woman the job or place in school if he or she doesn't desefrve to be there. In my AA world the person benefiting from AA has to have he/she ducks in a row.
I honestly think that if everyone had his/her ducks in a row, AA wouldn't be an issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #39
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where I didda
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,232


Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater









Send a message via AIM to Ramius
Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
if hse deserves it so be it. cool beans and all. I just don't believe in either party and i think everything they do is to win voters. the dems are worse of the two yet they act like minorities should vote for them.

Well heck, we all know all politicians are scum, but you gotta give Rice and Powell a little more credit than being Token people... Colin Powell is my hero =)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #40
paniro187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 13,466












Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
I honestly think that if everyone had his/her ducks in a row, AA wouldn't be an issue.
don't kid yourself into believing that. if yo uthink that then you feel the system is perfect.
__________________
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.-H. L. Mencken

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy