MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Randy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Honda RC51

Screw in tire

Thank I'm doing my Tclocs..
I found a screw in my back tire.. it is in the center and pressed in all the way even with the tire. Will I be able to get it patched up or willl I need a new tire? Also does anyone know how expensive it would be?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
screw in the rear tire epofhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 05-19-2011 03:35 PM
F@#%IN SCREW IN MY TIRE. Plug or get a new tire? kinnlyn General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 03-20-2009 07:49 AM
Screw in my Fing tire! gtdrivr General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-28-2008 08:31 AM
screw in tire chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-04-2005 08:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

should be able to plug it in the center there but its up to you weather you want to replace it or not, you'll get mixed responses about it.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

I plugged mine myself when the tire had 2500miles on it. I now have 11k miles on the bike (Suzuki Vstrom 650 with dynabeads in the front and rear tire) and never had any issue with the plug. Relatively easy procedure and there are tons of material/guides online on how to do it. I used a worm type plug from Walmart. A kit with rubber cement and tools and plugs would be around $10 or less.

If you push the tire too much (track days, burnouts, etc) a plug might not be a good idea...
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Randy

Bike(s):
Honda RC51

Okay thank you very much! Does anyone know how much this will cost? I'm going to be visiting motorcycles unlimited for them to check it out.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Randy

Bike(s):
Honda RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper View Post
I plugged mine myself when the tire had 2500miles on it. I now have 11k miles on the bike (Suzuki Vstrom 650 with dynabeads in the front and rear tire) and never had any issue with the plug. Relatively easy procedure and there are tons of material/guides online on how to do it. I used a worm type plug from Walmart. A kit with rubber cement and tools and plugs would be around $10 or less.

If you push the tire too much (track days, burnouts, etc) a plug might not be a good idea...
Thank you for the help. I probably would be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to be worrying if I did it correctly. That probably would be alot cheaper then how much it would cost from a shop.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

Im not sure if Motorcycles Unlimited will do plugs, liability issues and quality standards.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
Im not sure if Motorcycles Unlimited will do plugs, liability issues and quality standards.
Mainly garage insurance, if they plug the tire and the tire blows out as you leave the shop and you get hurt or the bike gets hurt. Their garage liability insurance won't cover it.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Thank you for the help. I probably would be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to be worrying if I did it correctly. That probably would be alot cheaper then how much it would cost from a shop.
I would not expect any shop to charge more than $20-$30. It's a 10 minute job and the patch costs less than a dollar!

I did it myself because it happened within a month after getting the bike used from a private seller so I had no connection with any shop or any idea how to transport it there.
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Totallymad

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
Ducati 848
Ninja 250
Honda CBR600RR

You can plug a tire successfuly, but then you will always wonder if and or when it might come out and you scratch something while sliding down the asfalt. More pease of mind to just replace the tire and give the old one to someon for a burnout.
Totallymad is offline   Reply With Quote