MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
randomwalk101

Feedback Rating: (1)

Chain adjustment tool

For those who are not so familiar with proper chain's slag like myself, I thought of something simple. First measure/adjust your chain slack properly (can get help or whatever). When done, cut a block of wood that fits perfectly between your chain and the lower swing arm. Next time whe. Your chain stretched, stick that same block of wood the same location, it'll be loose. Keep the block there and adjust your chain to remove all slack and use that block to serve as a spacer for proper slack.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire alignment/chain adjustment (short-ish chain?) SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-14-2014 03:55 PM
chain adjustment jcsalazar How To's and Q & A's 10 05-16-2014 09:06 PM
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment?? SiG239 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-13-2008 11:45 PM
Socket for Chain Adjustment CLETUS How To's and Q & A's 7 12-24-2007 05:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

good idea, for those that dont know as well, clean and lube the chain before you adjust it. and then ride around block and double check slack. if you want it to be 100% for long rides or whatever.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

I agree, good idea for those who find the process difficult.

And remember to remove the block of wood.
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
The Trav
slowpoke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS_Racing View Post
I agree, good idea for those who find the process difficult.

And remember to remove the block of wood.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
For those who are not so familiar with proper chain's slag like myself, I thought of something simple. First measure/adjust your chain slack properly (can get help or whatever). When done, cut a block of wood that fits perfectly between your chain and the lower swing arm. Next time whe. Your chain stretched, stick that same block of wood the same location, it'll be loose. Keep the block there and adjust your chain to remove all slack and use that block to serve as a spacer for proper slack.
Remember to check your chain at multiple spots, as you will have tight and loose spots in it.
That's why I typically recommend a "range" of free play as on most bikes because as the chain wears you won't have a uniform amount of slack at every point on the chain.
The best bet in that case is to split the difference.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 10-23-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote