MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #21
speedismo
OCD for speed

Feedback Rating: (0)

dont want to ruin ur party, but if u make 1100 per month, u might want to give it another serious thought. depending upon what u chose to do, and how circumstances end up being, u r looking at a MINIMUM of 500 bucks per race weekend.( usually 700-1000)

i have a prov nov license , and have given all of this a good thought, thats why i m saying this. i never raced big bikes, although i have my license, expenses being one factor.

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When did you join Motohouston? Higham General Discussion (Moto Related) 60 04-21-2011 10:42 PM
Looking to join a CMRA Endurance Team Swift E Taking it to the Track 7 04-17-2008 06:17 PM
Join the Fight DvlRacer Off Topic 7 02-16-2008 12:30 AM
Going racing...anyone want to join? txferrari Off Topic 6 07-10-2007 09:11 AM
JOIN MY F@H ARMY!!!! Petro Off Topic 21 02-14-2006 07:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #22
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Well here is one advantage. Thanks to Henry for the ifo as well. You can get your provisional CMRA license and go up to Oak Hill all you want on the weekends. No Ambulance of course but, if enough of us where out there it should not be an issue. Something to think about. Would be nice to get some track time in. Also, if you need to share costs you can think about doing a team. Something I am considering myself at this point. Anybody want to start a MotoHouston race team?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #23
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Well here is one advantage. Thanks to Henry for the ifo as well. You can get your provisional CMRA license and go up to Oak Hill all you want on the weekends. No Ambulance of course but, if enough of us where out there it should not be an issue. Something to think about. Would be nice to get some track time in. Also, if you need to share costs you can think about doing a team. Something I am considering myself at this point. Anybody want to start a MotoHouston race team?
Is it free? The website says $75.

"Oak Hill Raceway is available for rent whenever there is no scheduled event. Licensed kart and motorcycle racers can rent the track for the entire day.
SWRA and CMRA racers' fee is $75 per racer. All other racers' fee is $100. Pit crew and spectators are allowed in free. "
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #24
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
Is it free? The website says $75.

"Oak Hill Raceway is available for rent whenever there is no scheduled event. Licensed kart and motorcycle racers can rent the track for the entire day.
SWRA and CMRA racers' fee is $75 per racer. All other racers' fee is $100. Pit crew and spectators are allowed in free. "
Henry can verify. I have not been out there as of yet.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #25
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Henry can verify. I have not been out there as of yet.
If it's free, that's a sweet deal. Even though it's a 3-hr drive.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #26
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
If it's free, that's a sweet deal. Even though it's a 3-hr drive.
I know it is not free but, it is cheaper then regular track days and you get to run all day long. Or I guess you could camp out and make a weekend out of it.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #27
speedismo
OCD for speed

its not free. but its half of what other track days cost.
but then, for somebody from houston, it becomes almost the same money when u add in the cost of to and fro transportation.

and Moody, you know that I would have been SO up for an endurance team, but I dont think I will be in US by the time next season starts!

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #28
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
its not free. but its half of what other track days cost.
but then, for somebody from houston, it becomes almost the same money when u add in the cost of to and fro transportation.

and Moody, you know that I would have been SO up for an endurance team, but I dont think I will be in US by the time next season starts!
:eh:

Old 08-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #29
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

$75 bucks - half of what you usually pay... and you can ride till you fricken run out of gas!!!... (btw, feel free to bring as many gas cans as you want / or make as many trips to the gas station as you like)

bc there's no groups... it's just an open track...

you get the idea...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #30
orchard

it is 75$ but it is not a trackday. And if you happen to need an ambulance(like I did) it will take a few minutes for them to arrive.

As far as racing goes, this is my first year racing. I usually spend $1500 -$2000 every race weekend. Gas to get there:gas for the bike:tires:oil & filter:food/H2O/gatorade:entry fees for the trackday on Friday and sprints on Sunday:hotel:etc..etc..did I mention tires??

Is it worth it? I've spent just as much on other things and didn't get near the rush as I do on Sunday when the flag drops.
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #31
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by schecterx
i plan on only doing sprints..
maybe 2 classes.. to start with..
not flaming or hating... but i have to say that it doesn't make sense that you're planning to do all this racing when you haven't even done a single track day yet...

let alone working towards the race pace of 2:00 flat @ TWS (Texas World Speedway)...

put down the calendar & focus on logging in some track time first...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #32
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1moto
not flaming or hating... but i have to say that it doesn't make sense that you're planning to do all this racing when you haven't even done a single track day yet...

let alone working towards the race pace of 2:00 flat @ TWS (Texas World Speedway)...

put down the calendar & focus on logging in some track time first...
+1 Spend some time at the track days and with the instructors. Then do some race classes. Also check out the TMGP scene. You need to get used to being passed in corners. It will spook you at first.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #33
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchard
As far as racing goes, this is my first year racing. I usually spend $1500 -$2000 every race weekend. Gas to get there:gas for the bike:tires:oil & filter:food/H2O/gatorade:entry fees for the trackday on Friday and sprints on Sunday:hotel:etc..etc..did I mention tires??
don't scare'em off orchard!...

keep in mind that he's pretty hardcore... :notworthy

there are cheaper ways to race... sprint racing on sunday though is the most expensive route (if you enter all the classes you're eligible for)...

most noobies hook up on an endurance team and split the cost of the race between four (& sometimes more) teammates... e.g., four hour endurance = rougly 1 hour of seat time... can't beat that...

endurance races are run on saturdays...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #34
schecterx

Bike(s):
k4gsxr750

Send a message via AIM to schecterx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals
I plan on joinning if i ever get a trackbike and some trackdays.
bike paid with for cash...

insurance = 45$ of the 200$
Citystreetster: so my mom
Citystreetster: use to stuff pillows down my pants
Citystreetster: tell me im a giant
Citystreetster: and tell me the broccle were trees
Citystreetster: so id eat them
Citystreetster: ..
Houston Metal: ur f*ckin wierd
Ratmzapa: your a cute great looking guy with loads of muscles
schecterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #35
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Expenses are the only reason I'm not racing... I can afford it, but I'm not one of those people who say "you only live once, might as well enjoy your money."

I do only live once... which is why I save about 25% of each paycheck (we put 15% of my wifes $$ into savings as well) into Roth IRA and 401K. I could have a badass trackbike and race all the time but the stability of my family and our futures is my #1 priority.

Sucks being responsible because I REALLY want to race CMRA, haha... one more promotion though and I'll be able to save the $$ I want and still have enough left over to race.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #36
schecterx

Bike(s):
k4gsxr750

Send a message via AIM to schecterx
sweet..

i make enough money...
and only have school as a responsibility.. so im good to go
Citystreetster: so my mom
Citystreetster: use to stuff pillows down my pants
Citystreetster: tell me im a giant
Citystreetster: and tell me the broccle were trees
Citystreetster: so id eat them
Citystreetster: ..
Houston Metal: ur f*ckin wierd
Ratmzapa: your a cute great looking guy with loads of muscles
schecterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #37
paniro187

pay for a track day month after month first and that will be just about how racing is.

The only reason i can't race like i want is because of kids. heck if i didn't hav ekids i'd be racing evey race. paying 1000+ a month on daycare rapes racing like there's no tomorrow. I've got a side job lined up fo next season so things should go better.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #38
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
I've been racing CMRA for three years now and let me just say the closest thing to reality I've read here so far is the guys who spends 1K+ per event weekend. And who ever thinks flat 2:00's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is racing is just willing to pour money out on the track. You will not be close to the front at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with anything less than 1:55's or better. Check oout the results page on the CMRA site and see where you might stack up at TWS (Texas World Speedway), Cresson, or any place else you have ridden. I've been a novice for three years(CMRA rider's index is what moves you to expert). If you haven't done a full season of trackdays you are likely in for some disappointment. Racing is TOTALLY different form trackdays, don't kid yourself. Not everyone uses thier full brain capacity when it's time to race and you will see some real bonehead moves. I've been taken out more than I can remember and nothing sucks more than crashing out because of someone else's stipidity. It is a serious comitment to run a full season, let me break it down for you............

I run five classes a weekend............225.00
tires............................................3 00.00+ per set, and you will want new tires everyweekend if you want a chance in of getting to the front. I usually go through three sets if I practice on Friday.
Friday practice.........................160-175.00
Saturday practice.............................35.00
Race gas.........................................7.25pe r gallon
Oil and filter per weekend....................+/- 35.00
Gate fee............................................15. 00
Gas to and from event..........................3.00+ per gallon (I get 8mpg towing my trailer, so lets call it 150.00 each way to Cresson/Oakhill. Hallett really sucks on gas!!!!
Camping is free, but most events are in the heat of summer so A/C is a must for a good nights sleep before a race. Hotels are usually 65.00 per night or buy a trailer w\A/C.........................2000.00
Food and drinks..............................150.00 no alcohol in this price.
Suspention set up and fork oil changes..................variable but 150.00 is close enough.

Sad part is you will make ZERO money racing unless you can finish in the top five every race. Novice racers only make contingency money. Example..... if you WIN on Michelin's you get 100.00, You paid 75.00 to enter, and 325.00 for the tires. Not a great victory eh?
You can see where this is heading right? I usually plan around 1500.00 for each weekend. This is if everything goes right and I don't have crash damage.
As for the bike set up........... that's a whole nother thread worth of inifo and debate. You will need suspention for sure. front and rear for around 2000.00 all said and done. Want to be competitive? Open you wallet for some motor work around 2000.00 as well for a super stock legal set up, more for superbike go fast.
All told racing a full season will run you over 15k unless you are happy getting your handed to you week in week out, then you can do it on the cheaps for a bit less, but mid-pack sucks!!!
I did endurance as well for two years and that was NOT cheap either. First year as rookies we took fouth in class for the year. Next year we though we should be able to do better right? WRONG!!! I took Two bikes, Three motors, just to finish our first race of the season. You are counting on 3-4 other people.
Don't get me wrong, I do LOVE racing the CMRA, but check your finances and do your homework before you jump in with the sharks. Remember I am talking about NOVICE level here. Expert is easily TWICE as much to be competitive, and you'll be going at it with the likes of Ty Howard, Brian West, Bill Drake, Tyler McDonald,and many, many others who will make your fastest lap ever seem like tricycle laps. I know when I get bumped to expert I will only race a few selected events, MSR Houston and maybe TWS (Texas World Speedway). I know I will never be as fast as those guys........ they do if for a living!!! And I have a great ahndle on what I'm willing to spend to have fun, and how it fits into my budget and longterm financial plans.

On a happier note, I did start racing in the mini classes last year and they have been a blast!! In those classes it's more about riding and less about equipment money spent. You don't need to spend thousand and thousands of dollars to be competitive in the mini's if you can ride.

My .02 .................

Last edited by Buck Beasley; 08-02-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #39
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
I've been racing CMRA for three years now and let me just say the closest thing to reality I've read here so far is the guys who spends 1K+ per event weekend. And who ever thinks flat 2:00's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is racing is just willing to pour money out on the track. You will not be close to the front at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with anything less than 1:55's or better. Check oout the results page on the CMRA site and see where you might stack up at TWS (Texas World Speedway), Cresson, or any place else you have ridden. I've been a novice for three years(CMRA rider's index is what moves you to expert). If you haven't done a full season of trackdays you are likely in for some disappointment. Racing is TOTALLY different form trackdays, don't kid yourself. Not everyone uses thier full brain capacity when it's time to race and you will see some real bonehead moves. I've been taken out more than I can remember and nothing sucks more than crashing out because of someone else's stipidity. It is a serious comitment to run a full season, let me break it down for you............

I run five classes a weekend............225.00
tires............................................3 00.00+ per set, and you will want new tires everyweekend if you want a chance in of getting to the front. I usually go through three sets if I practice on Friday.
Friday practice.........................160-175.00
Saturday practice.............................35.00
Race gas.........................................7.25pe r gallon
Oil and filter per weekend....................+/- 35.00
Gate fee............................................15. 00
Gas to and from event..........................3.00+ per gallon (I get 8mpg towing my trailer, so lets call it 150.00 each way to Cresson/Oakhill. Hallett really sucks on gas!!!!
Camping is free, but most events are in the heat of summer so A/C is a must for a good nights sleep before a race. Hotels are usually 65.00 per night or buy a trailer w\A/C.........................2000.00
Food and drinks..............................150.00 no alcohol in this price.
Suspention set up and fork oil changes..................variable but 150.00 is close enough.

Sad part is you will make ZERO money racing unless you can finish in the top five every race. Novice racers only make contingency money. Example..... if you WIN on Michelin's you get 100.00, You paid 75.00 to enter, and 325.00 for the tires. Not a great victory eh?
You can see where this is heading right? I usually plan around 1500.00 for each weekend. This is if everything goes right and I don't have crash damage.
As for the bike set up........... that's a whole nother thread worth of inifo and debate. You will need suspention for sure. front and rear for around 2000.00 all said and done. Want to be competitive? Open you wallet for some motor work around 2000.00 as well for a super stock legal set up, more for superbike go fast.
All told racing a full season will run you over 15k unless you are happy getting your handed to you week in week out, then you can do it on the cheaps for a bit less, but mid-pack sucks!!!
I did endurance as well for two years and that was NOT cheap either. First year as rookies we took fouth in class for the year. Next year we though we should be able to do better right? WRONG!!! I took Two bikes, Three motors, just to finish our first race of the season. You are counting on 3-4 other people.
Don't get me wrong, I do LOVE racing the CMRA, but check your finances and do your homework before you jump in with the sharks. Remember I am talking about NOVICE level here. Expert is easily TWICE as much to be competitive, and you'll be going at it with the likes of Ty Howard, Brian West, Bill Drake, Tyler McDonald,and many, many others who will make your fastest lap ever seem like tricycle laps. I know when I get bumped to expert I will only race a few selected events, MSR Houston and maybe TWS (Texas World Speedway). I know I will never be as fast as those guys........ they do if for a living!!! And I have a great ahndle on what I'm willing to spend to have fun, and how it fits into my budget and longterm financial plans.

On a happier note, I did start racing in the mini classes last year and they have been a blast!! In those classes it's more about riding and less about equipment money spent. You don't need to spend thousand and thousands of dollars to be competitive in the mini's if you can ride.

My .02 .................

great post and it states alot of reasons i dont want to start racing soon. if im not competitive, i dont want to waste my time. ill stick to trackdays and becoming a better rider who should be racing. jinx:eh:
Old 08-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #40
zixx6r

thanks for the reality check, buck. money spent on a season racing the big bikes getting wasted by the whole field may be better invested in training like keith code's superbike school or kevin schwantz suzuki school before getting into CMRA. ty howard school is one to consider as well. something to think about for the n00bs like me before jumping into full on racing.

I'm checking the schedule for code's, the man is everywhere. Coast to coast he has events at different tracks. better to learn from the best instructors than to try and teach yourself and learn bad habits.

www.superbikeschool.com
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement