MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #41
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I think you do care... did you get my pm?
Yeah, I got your stupid PM
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mirrors pooh73 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-01-2014 03:57 PM
mirrors or no mirrors eklikewhoa Safety Corner Main 30 07-07-2013 10:47 AM
Looking for mirrors SafetyLimiter Performance and Modifications 4 03-26-2013 07:02 PM
For those who have mirrors... vmaxgirl General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 10-10-2009 09:49 PM
bar end mirrors? Any better than std mirrors? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-23-2008 01:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #42
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Drag coefficient, the same reason I went w shorties over long levers.

Even when I ride w mirrors I also constantly watch the mirrors while riding and turn around before lane changes. I've seen many riders that dont do that and still put themselves in safety-compromised situations.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #43
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i wear my helmet, leather jacket, full gauntlet gloves and sometimes even boots , can you believe that!!! instead of me trying to explain to the cop i just shut up as he explains how i would have seen him if i looked in my mirrors... then he sees i dont have mirrors shakes his head and tells me next time to hope it's not a rookie who would love to say i was running and take me to jail ... no ticket either, horrible cop huh?

btw i look bad on my 650
sweet I guess that would be a good reason to not pull over!!
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #44
R1Rider2009
R1

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage

I have them on now but prefer to ride without them. I don't commute at all and only ride country roads. There is nothing I need to see behind me on a two lane road. Having them off improves the wind flow quite a bit; less turbulence.
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #45
joeburt1

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
Yeah, dude seems to preach a lot huh. Joe I guess you're retarded. Lol.
I'm not wee todd ed Just pointing out the fact that when LEO pulls you over they will look for everything wrong....BTW, I don't really care how you ride, I'm an advocate of the bike being an extension of your own personality....So go my flock, ride your ride and may peace be with you!! (now that was some preaching ma brother)
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #46
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

Lol. Sorry dude. Tiatool is who I was agreeing with being retarded. See page 1. Lol. And guys like el tejano play their part in a community like this. I'm glad some people still have some regard. I can appreciate some responsibility with my irresponsible behavior
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #47
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I was stating my opinion, saying why I use them and asking why people dont.

What do you mean by this comment? Please elaborate.
tejano? Rape me
Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #48
kalanie
facebok/leatherlaceracing

Mirrors are a fashion statement?

It's a luxury to have them for the extra peace of mind especially at red lights.
kalanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #49
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I was stating my opinion, saying why I use them and asking why people dont.

What do you mean by this comment? Please elaborate.
Your first post wasn't that cut and dry. And I like to ride in a manner you probably wouldn't aprove of. While I lol at threads like this I can appreciate someone just trying to make sense of things that may not be safe or smart. For yourself or for others whatever your intentions are. But I make conscious decisions. So to me its irrelevant. I'm going to do what I do.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #50
joeburt1

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Lol. Sorry dude. Tiatool is who I was agreeing with being retarded. See page 1. Lol. And guys like el tejano play their part in a community like this. I'm glad some people still have some regard. I can appreciate some responsibility with my irresponsible behavior
LOL no harm, it's just a forum!!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #51
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Your first post wasn't that cut and dry. And I like to ride in a manner you probably wouldn't aprove of. While I lol at threads like this I can appreciate someone just trying to make sense of things that may not be safe or smart. For yourself or for others whatever your intentions are. But I make conscious decisions. So to me its irrelevant. I'm going to do what I do.
Fair enough.
tejano? Rape me
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #52
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

in response to the question in OP, mirrors for me are a must. i almost became dead people today when i got onto 105 as a guy decided to change into my lane with no blinker. i'm glad his breaks work, and im more glad i saw him and hauled out of his way.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #53
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

I agree that riding without mirrors is dumb. I'll put it right there with riding with no helmet. Honestly, the bikes that I see without mirrors are usually riding like they dont care what is behind them, changing lanes abruptly with no signal, and not even the slightest turn of the head to see where they are going. Mirrors are your first point of reference. AFTER you check your mirrors, then you can turn and reaffirm that you are clear. I check my mirrors every 30 seconds or so. I've never seen a rider turn his head that often in order to stay aware of his surroundings.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #54
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
I broke one of my mirrors off when I first started riding so I only had 1 mirror for a very long time. I took off that 1 mirror for a trackday and haven't put it back on since...it looks much better without it imo but I do find myself wondering whats behind me at times, ie: cops. I'd love to order another mirror but ...they are $65 each!
get some barend mirrors. they will show you a lot more than your arms and shoulders. they can be found pretty cheap on ebizzle.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #55
CBR22

Bike(s):
one of those fast ones

thats bullspit I dont know how fast you guys ride but at 80mph looking in those crappy rearview mirrors you cant see sh*t I took mine off of my cbr and my R6 and dont need them thats the problem people get to lazy and rely on those mirrors too much didnt you guys take drivers ed. they teach you to look over your shoulder and on a bike its not like you have a-pillars blocking your view like in a cage I took them off cause it helps you get used to looking over your shoulder before making a move which you guys should all do anyway you cant see everything in those mirrors
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #56
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR22 View Post
thats bullspit I dont know how fast you guys ride but at 80mph looking in those crappy rearview mirrors you cant see sh*t I took mine off of my cbr and my R6 and dont need them thats the problem people get to lazy and rely on those mirrors too much didnt you guys take drivers ed. they teach you to look over your shoulder and on a bike its not like you have a-pillars blocking your view like in a cage I took them off cause it helps you get used to looking over your shoulder before making a move which you guys should all do anyway you cant see everything in those mirrors
I used to check mine at 140+

As I said, do you turn around every 30 seconds in order to keep a general picture of what is developing behind you?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #57
CBR22

Bike(s):
one of those fast ones

when your riding I dont know how many cars pass you up but when I ride Im the one doing the passing I dont ride feeder roads and stop lights only freeways you must have a special brand of mirrors and if your checking around you every half minute then that means your not focused on whats in front of you like debris, traffic, etc. someone texting and sees a little brake light so they slam on the brakes
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #58
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR22 View Post
when your riding I dont know how many cars pass you up but when I ride Im the one doing the passing I dont ride feeder roads and stop lights only freeways you must have a special brand of mirrors and if your checking around you every half minute then that means your not focused on whats in front of you like debris, traffic, etc. someone texting and sees a little brake light so they slam on the brakes
It takes a split second to glance into a mirror. It takes 3 seconds to turn around. I assume you have never glanced into a mirror in your car? I have over 200,000 safe street miles. It's stupid. final answer.

Last edited by gtdrivr; 10-22-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Liked this post:
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #59
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
It takes a split second to glance into a mirror. It takes 3 seconds to turn around. I assume you have never glanced into a mirror in your car? I have over 200,000 safe street miles. It's stupid. final answer.

Amen brother.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #60
CBR22

Bike(s):
one of those fast ones

I have that and some Im a driver for FedEx and thats all they stay on so you cant preach to me if anyone wants to see why I dont need mirrors on my bike just check youtube put in routeganghouston or better yet check the people i ride with Corey, Todd, Rodio, John, Tim, Mike just a few to yall can even come out and try to keep up on Wednesdays

Advertisement