MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Need Bike Buying advice

Im Very happy with my SV, but im always shopping for a new bike!


Im pretty proficient at knowing what to look for, but the one thing im a little weary about is mileage.

Given bike tech these days, what would you consider now to be high mileage vs. moderate to good mileage on a used bike.


I'm torn between a 600rr, GSX-R or a fun V-twin SS

(side note--> i notice a lot of bikes with good prices hovering around the 10k to 12k mileage mark. what do you think?)


__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a bike on saturday, ADVICE REQUESTED GrandmasBoy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-23-2015 09:31 AM
Buying bike w/ no Title..advice? CDN_bacon General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-23-2012 02:20 AM
advice buying new bike: local dealers? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 09-03-2011 08:17 PM
Buying advice please Busta General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-31-2010 10:25 PM
Buying 110cc Stunt bike. Need Advice Mr.D Stunters Lounge 95 06-28-2010 08:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Drumboy
Senior Member
 
Drumboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Heights
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,075

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R








Take any bike that you want to buy to Motorcycles Unlimited to get checked out.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
Take any bike that you want to buy to Motorcycles Unlimited to get checked out.
of course, but i would hate to bug Patrick with a laundry list of bikes, I'd like to be able to weed out the mileage issue ones easily.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Mileage under 30k isn't a big issue if it has been maintained properly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,627

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






Most sport bikes start seeing issues between 15-20k, but if well maintained I have seen them go up to 50k and even 80k. Most of those were Hondas though. If I were were you I would try and get something between 5k-10k
__________________
Danny
TomballD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







5k-10k?

would you say that brand doesnt matter in the mileage range?
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,627

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






I really think Brand is preference, while there are some brands that have higher quality and dependability ratings, but those opinions are to be formed by you the buyer. I would say you are pretty safe on brands if you can get one between 5-10k. I think it boils down to maintenance records and previous owner when your in that range.
__________________
Danny
TomballD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
5k-10k?

would you say that brand doesnt matter in the mileage range?
Brand does matter IMO as well as motor type. My V4 honda I would have no problem buying one with under 50k if it was well mainained. The F4i is a very dependable bike as well. As you can see, I'm brand biased.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
Brand does matter IMO as well as motor type. My V4 honda I would have no problem buying one with under 50k if it was well mainained. The F4i is a very dependable bike as well. As you can see, I'm brand biased.
lemme guess...you like Kawi's?
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
MudBug
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Most northern tip of the southside
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,878

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250



Member Garage





User is banned

.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
lemme guess...you like Kawi's?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
Im Very happy with my SV, but im always shopping for a new bike!


Im pretty proficient at knowing what to look for, but the one thing im a little weary about is mileage.

Given bike tech these days, what would you consider now to be high mileage vs. moderate to good mileage on a used bike.


I'm torn between a 600rr, GSX-R or a fun V-twin SS

(side note--> i notice a lot of bikes with good prices hovering around the 10k to 12k mileage mark. what do you think?)



I've got a 2006 Yamaha R6, with about 1,000 miles on the tach, for $5,400.
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
I've got a 2006 Yamaha R6, with about 1,000 miles on the tach, for $5,400.
how does a 2006 have only 1k miles?


__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Scubasteve
I-Doctor
 
Scubasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 130

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 cbr1000rr
84 nighthawk 700s - not running - For Sale





New tach?
Scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Maybe if I knew the person I was buying it from I would consider a bike with over 10k on the clock. But knowing how most people treat their bikes, ie bouncing it off the rev limiter, slamming down wheelies, racing, I wouldn't ever buy a sportbike with that many miles. Best just to keep saving and get a really low mile one if it is going to be used and from a stranger. Just my .02.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







great advice from everyone!

Thanks!
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
how does a 2006 have only 1k miles?


When someone doesn't ride a bike, the bike doesn't collect miles. It's not rocket science. We've already been over this in my For Sale thread. Follow the link below my sig, and read for yourself.

Cliffnotes: When I bought it in 2008, it only had 500 miles on it. The previous owner NEVER rode the thing, hence why he wanted to sell. I gave up street riding a long time ago for trackdays, and picked this bike up as a racebike project. I did 3 trackdays on it, and then I gave up riding altogether (don't have the time, or the money for it anymore). It's just sitting in my garage, clean as a whistle, and needs to be sold.

If you're still in doubt...you're welcome to come and take a look whenever you want, whether if you want to buy it, or not.
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
When someone doesn't ride a bike, the bike doesn't collect miles. It's not rocket science. We've already been over this in my For Sale thread. Follow the link below my sig, and read for yourself.

Cliffnotes: When I bought it in 2008, it only had 500 miles on it. The previous owner NEVER rode the thing, hence why he wanted to sell. I gave up street riding a long time ago for trackdays, and picked this bike up as a racebike project. I did 3 trackdays on it, and then I gave up riding altogether (don't have the time, or the money for it anymore). It's just sitting in my garage, clean as a whistle, and needs to be sold.

If you're still in doubt...you're welcome to come and take a look whenever you want, whether if you want to buy it, or not.
would you be willing to take to Motorcycles Unlimited to have it looked at by the pros?
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
would you be willing to take to Motorcycles Unlimited to have it looked at by the pros?
Absolutely! But only if you're serious about buying it. I'm not driving all the way out there, just to prove to you that the bike is good to go.
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Absolutely! But only if you're serious about buying it. I'm not driving all the way out there, just to prove to you that the bike is good to go.


Not to sound rude. but, its not unreasonable for someone to have the bike looked at AND still decide not to buy it.

Yes, I am seriously considering getting another bike. A yami prolly wouldnt be my first choice, but i am leaving the option open if i decide to go with an R6.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy