MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Tomfry

Feedback Rating: (0)

MSF school

I have registered twice for the MSF classes (once for the one at Magnolia and once for the one at Rosenberg) and have received a notice at the last minute (really, the last day) that the classes were full. Anyone have any recommendations for another MSF school? I know awesome is a sponsor, but I have not tried them yet as I was hoping to find something closer to the Hempstead area where I work. I work evenings and could got to work after class.
Tomfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new MSF class/school in richmond/rosenberg? RACER X New Riders and MSF Course Info 14 09-28-2009 11:39 PM
new MSF school locations RACER X New Riders and MSF Course Info 0 10-31-2007 01:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfry View Post
I have registered twice for the MSF classes (once for the one at Magnolia and once for the one at Rosenberg) and have received a notice at the last minute (really, the last day) that the classes were full. Anyone have any recommendations for another MSF school? I know awesome is a sponsor, but I have not tried them yet as I was hoping to find something closer to the Hempstead area where I work. I work evenings and could got to work after class.
Check out Brenham. My mom did MSF there.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
That's why we don't use that method of registration. Ours immediately reserves a spot for you in the class you want.

And PS, having worked for one of those schools, I can almost guarantee that the real reason you didn't get in was because not enough people registered and they cancelled it. (We don't do that either, for the record.)
Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Awesome Cycles is well....AWESOME. me and the wife took it there at different times. Total of 480 miles of drive time for us and I'd do it again. I've been wanting to take their ERC class, but time is not my friend now.

It is the best for a reason. And even if they weren't site sponsors, I would recommend them.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Quote:
go
to
awesome
cycles

trust us
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
mrh

MRH Rider Training is closest to you

We have classes at 290 and FM1960 3X a week. Online signup is available at www.motorcycleridershouston.com. And we won't book you and bump you! Call Keith for more info at 281-897-7121.
mrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Tomfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
go
to
awesome
cycles

trust us
I booked at Awesome. I met a guy with an Awesome t-shirt on at Whataburger in Cypress and we started a conversation about motorcycle classes. He said he and a few of his buddies were heading to Newman's Bakery in Bellville and suggested that I try their donuts when I got my license and some riding experience. Anyone on MH ever been there? He listened to my story about past experiences and told me that such a treatment to bikers new or old was unacceptable. He told me to call Awesome and I did. Their price is right and their schedules are convenient for my needs and the lady I talked to was very helpful and abiding.. Thanks MH and thanks to the guy in the yellow shirt if he is on MH.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

When's your class?

Newman's bakery is awesome! We go there about once a week for breakfast.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I hope you don't have the guy above me for an instructor.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

I we
the mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

`
I went to Awesome Cycles it was a blast
the mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Tomfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mother View Post
`
I went to Awesome Cycles it was a blast
I just got in from work at the shop. I see a few of the people on this forum are insturctors, so I'll stay annonumus and report back on my experience. Now, if they don't throw me a overtime curve, I'm all set for the class. If they do, I may have to forfit the class. The overtime pay will more than compinsate me for the class and I'll sign up for a later date..
Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
prissybritches

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250
honda50cc
2011 ZX 6

Quote:
I booked at Awesome. I met a guy with an Awesome t-shirt on at Whataburger in Cypress and we started a conversation about motorcycle classes. He said he and a few of his buddies were heading to Newman's Bakery in Bellville and suggested that I try their donuts when I got my license and some riding experience. Anyone on MH ever been there? He listened to my story about past experiences and told me that such a treatment to bikers new or old was unacceptable. He told me to call Awesome and I did. Their price is right and their schedules are convenient for my needs and the lady I talked to was very helpful and abiding.. Thanks MH and thanks to the guy in the yellow shirt if he is on MH.
You made the right choice! I took the MSF with Awesome cycles and the name def fits! They are awesome! Really enjoyed the class and learned alot in the process!
prissybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
Tomfry

Okay. I took the course with a few other newsbees and a guy who said he had been riding a few years. Wrong. He could not shift the bike. We had one instructor for all of us 8 riders and I was worried that I would not get the attention I wanted. Wrong. I wanted to ride a sport bike, but the instructor suggested another bike because of my height. Wrong, or so I thought. He put me on an ugly blue Suzi, but it was a bike anyway. So I rode my heart out and cussed the bike because it did not shift right or stop right and my instructor kept saying for me to have patience. The second day went better as I finally learned to shift and stop but I still disliked the bike because I wanted to ride a sport bike and they have nice Ninjas. I had a lot of fun and I learned to ride, shift, and stop the bike to suit the instructor. Someone changed his name on the board in the class to Walturd and I asked if that was how you spelled his name. He only smiled and said to have patience like it was the only word he knew. I passed the class but did not get a bell. I missed some points on stopping and curving and I missed a few questions on the test in class. I went to get my license the next week on the way to work and went the next day to get a sport bike. I got exactly what I wanted. I liked the bike but couldn't touch the ground with both feet at the same time but it felt good. I still figured my instructor was wrong and I was going to ride to the Awesome class and show him how wrong he was. I did all the paperwork, they filled the tank with gas, and I decided to ride the long way home. And I did. The bike felt great and I felt like it was made for me. I was wrong. I fell twice on the way home while stopped. I couldn't put my feet on the ground without leaning the bike too far. I finally made it to my neighborhood with only a few scratches and a bent brake lever. When I turned onto my street, I gunned it to show my neighbors I could ride. Wrong. The bike whipped out from under me and hit the curb hard. More broken plastic, a bent rim, and a lot of pain in my and shoulder. I kept blaming the bike and still felt that the bike was made for me. Wrong. It is now back at the Yamaha dealer and will cost about 5 days of overtime to get it out. My instructor kept repeating patience but I didn't have any. My instructor suggested to me in private that I get a bike to practice on before buying the bike I really wanted. I thought he was wrong and spent my money on a bike that I really wanted. But I was not ready for it. So how many wrongs make a right? The ppl on here suggested Awesome Cycles for a class and they were right. My instructor suggested I practice and have a lot of patience before buying the bike I really wanted and he was right. I should have given more positive comments on the evaluation sheet but I didn't which was not right. I need to go back to Awesome Cycles and find that Instructor as he called himself and tell him just how right he was. I think I'll wait until I get my bike back and get it lowered and learn to ride it before I go back so I can tell him he was right and I was wrong. But I love the bike. If you take a class from Walturd, listen to him. That is one funny name for a great instructor. And you guys were right. Awesome Cycles is awesome.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

Quote:
Okay. I took the course with a few other newsbees and a guy who said he had been riding a few years. Wrong. He could not shift the bike.

We had one instructor for all of us 8 riders and I was worried that I would not get the attention I wanted. Wrong.

I wanted to ride a sport bike, but the instructor suggested another bike because of my height. Wrong, or so I thought. He put me on an ugly blue Suzi, but it was a bike anyway.

So I rode my heart out and cussed the bike because it did not shift right or stop right and my instructor kept saying for me to have patience. The second day went better as I finally learned to shift and stop but I still disliked the bike because I wanted to ride a sport bike and they have nice Ninjas.

I had a lot of fun and I learned to ride, shift, and stop the bike to suit the instructor. Someone changed his name on the board in the class to Walturd and I asked if that was how you spelled his name. He only smiled and said to have patience like it was the only word he knew. I passed the class but did not get a bell.

I missed some points on stopping and curving and I missed a few questions on the test in class. I went to get my license the next week on the way to work and went the next day to get a sport bike. I got exactly what I wanted. I liked the bike but couldn't touch the ground with both feet at the same time but it felt good.

I still figured my instructor was wrong and I was going to ride to the Awesome class and show him how wrong he was. I did all the paperwork, they filled the tank with gas, and I decided to ride the long way home. And I did. The bike felt great and I felt like it was made for me. I was wrong. I fell twice on the way home while stopped. I couldn't put my feet on the ground without leaning the bike too far. I finally made it to my neighborhood with only a few scratches and a bent brake lever.

When I turned onto my street, I gunned it to show my neighbors I could ride. Wrong. The bike whipped out from under me and hit the curb hard. More broken plastic, a bent rim, and a lot of pain in my and shoulder. I kept blaming the bike and still felt that the bike was made for me. Wrong. It is now back at the Yamaha dealer and will cost about 5 days of overtime to get it out. My instructor kept repeating patience but I didn't have any. My instructor suggested to me in private that I get a bike to practice on before buying the bike I really wanted. I thought he was wrong and spent my money on a bike that I really wanted. But I was not ready for it. So how many wrongs make a right?

The ppl on here suggested Awesome Cycles for a class and they were right. My instructor suggested I practice and have a lot of patience before buying the bike I really wanted and he was right. I should have given more positive comments on the evaluation sheet but I didn't which was not right.

I need to go back to Awesome Cycles and find that Instructor as he called himself and tell him just how right he was. I think I'll wait until I get my bike back and get it lowered and learn to ride it before I go back so I can tell him he was right and I was wrong. But I love the bike. If you take a class from Walturd, listen to him. That is one funny name for a great instructor. And you guys were right. Awesome Cycles is awesome.
Paragraph

Nice story, terribly sad you dropped the bike so much but its good to hear that you learned something from the class - most do! =)
Old 11-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
Dollartree99

Bike(s):
Used R-1
'Busa

Quote:
Okay. I took the course with a few other newsbees and a guy who said he had been riding a few years. Wrong. He could not shift the bike. We had one instructor for all of us 8 riders and I was worried that I would not get the attention I wanted. Wrong. I wanted to ride a sport bike, but the instructor suggested another bike because of my height. Wrong, or so I thought. He put me on an ugly blue Suzi, but it was a bike anyway. So I rode my heart out and cussed the bike because it did not shift right or stop right and my instructor kept saying for me to have patience. The second day went better as I finally learned to shift and stop but I still disliked the bike because I wanted to ride a sport bike and they have nice Ninjas. I had a lot of fun and I learned to ride, shift, and stop the bike to suit the instructor. Someone changed his name on the board in the class to Walturd and I asked if that was how you spelled his name. He only smiled and said to have patience like it was the only word he knew. I passed the class but did not get a bell. I missed some points on stopping and curving and I missed a few questions on the test in class. I went to get my license the next week on the way to work and went the next day to get a sport bike. I got exactly what I wanted. I liked the bike but couldn't touch the ground with both feet at the same time but it felt good. I still figured my instructor was wrong and I was going to ride to the Awesome class and show him how wrong he was. I did all the paperwork, they filled the tank with gas, and I decided to ride the long way home. And I did. The bike felt great and I felt like it was made for me. I was wrong. I fell twice on the way home while stopped. I couldn't put my feet on the ground without leaning the bike too far. I finally made it to my neighborhood with only a few scratches and a bent brake lever. When I turned onto my street, I gunned it to show my neighbors I could ride. Wrong. The bike whipped out from under me and hit the curb hard. More broken plastic, a bent rim, and a lot of pain in my and shoulder. I kept blaming the bike and still felt that the bike was made for me. Wrong. It is now back at the Yamaha dealer and will cost about 5 days of overtime to get it out. My instructor kept repeating patience but I didn't have any. My instructor suggested to me in private that I get a bike to practice on before buying the bike I really wanted. I thought he was wrong and spent my money on a bike that I really wanted. But I was not ready for it. So how many wrongs make a right? The ppl on here suggested Awesome Cycles for a class and they were right. My instructor suggested I practice and have a lot of patience before buying the bike I really wanted and he was right. I should have given more positive comments on the evaluation sheet but I didn't which was not right. I need to go back to Awesome Cycles and find that Instructor as he called himself and tell him just how right he was. I think I'll wait until I get my bike back and get it lowered and learn to ride it before I go back so I can tell him he was right and I was wrong. But I love the bike. If you take a class from Walturd, listen to him. That is one funny name for a great instructor. And you guys were right. Awesome Cycles is awesome.
I had the same instructor. He was awesome as was his partner Lowie. The highlight of the class was when Kortney rode up on a lime green NINJA 250. I'm not sure which looked nicer, her or the bike. BOTH were awesome. Maybe I'll take the course again. Yes, that awesome.
Dollartree99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Walter and Louie are both AWESOME Instructors.

I'm the one that changed it to "Walturd" in retaliation for him changing mine to "Dave".

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike.

Courtney is married.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
DirtyD

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2005 Kawa Mean Streak

I had Walter and Jim as instructors several months back, I took Walter's advice on almost all points, and have enjoyed almost 3500 trouble free miles on my Mean Streak. I keep meening to go back by and say "Thanks", when is his next class?
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement