MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
odd, there's no setting on a radar gun for "vehicle type".
You're right, there's not. With that said, cops are human and tend to use their discretion which vehicle to target. In my truck on the beltway I will routinely go 15 over. The R1 on the other hand, I do the speed limit. For many years my primary vehicle was always a sports car. I could be going 10 over and everyone else doing 20 over and I'm the one that gets targeted. Hence the reason my primary vehichle these days is a truck.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed traps!!! 7cain Off Topic 52 09-05-2012 06:11 PM
Speed Traps dex2001 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-18-2011 05:30 PM
Find Speed TRaps BoostJunkie Off Topic 12 07-26-2008 02:28 PM
Speed Traps cogs69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-23-2008 11:32 AM
post known speed traps txeric77 General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 03-13-2007 09:55 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
Phiber

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
fz1 on 45, Tundra on I-10. The difference was/is the amount of cops.

3 in 470 miles vs 9 in 356 miles....

My last speeding violation/ticket was 1987-88...

Don't be the lead dog, don't 'speed' by going ludicrous/stupid speeds.
ludicrous speed
Phiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #23
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
You're right, there's not. With that said, cops are human and tend to use their discretion which vehicle to target. In my truck on the beltway I will routinely go 15 over. The R1 on the other hand, I do the speed limit. For many years my primary vehicle was always a sports car. I could be going 10 over and everyone else doing 20 over and I'm the one that gets targeted. Hence the reason my primary vehichle these days is a truck.
I'm sorry my young friend, but that's incorrect.
I know, I did it for years. when working stationary radar you are targeting every vehicle that enters your range. you aren't looking for one type or another, that's a rediculous myth. factors that will get you noticed (color, style ect are bullshit) are proximity to a larger vehicle, such as a big rig. doppler radar picks up the largest vehicle moving towards the unit, and gets little hits from the smaller vehicle. in a group of smaller cars, the faster moving vehicles ar ones in the front tend to be noticed first. when using laser radar the operator is looking directly at the right vehicle.

so, if you wanna speed and don't think you're being monitored with laser, drive next to a big truck.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I know, I did it for years. when working stationary radar you are targeting every vehicle that enters your range. you aren't looking for one type or another, that's a rediculous myth. factors that will get you noticed (color, style ect are bullshit) are proximity to a larger vehicle, such as a big rig. doppler radar picks up the largest vehicle moving towards the unit, and gets little hits from the smaller vehicle. in a group of smaller cars, the faster moving vehicles ar ones in the front tend to be noticed first. when using laser radar the operator is looking directly at the right vehicle.

so, if you wanna speed and don't think you're being monitored with laser, drive next to a big truck.
interesting info.. i think his point was more along the lines of "would you pull over the Hyundai going 90 or the Ferrari going 90?"
Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

honestly, they are never going 90 right next to each other. you take the first fish you catch. if they were going next to each other, pull them both over.
I promise it's never as complicated as people might think!

PM's open temporarily.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Maybe it is just I10. It seems like traffic moves ~10mph over the limit there.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #27
Horn09

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

70 I believe. I usually cruise at 80 but slow down to 75 or so in a couple areas. Sealy being one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
What's the speed limit on I-10 in Sealy?
Horn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #28
yeraboof
( . v . )

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im a View Post

This is very true and I agree... I always use other vehicles to "block" radar if I can... BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrendon View Post
I-10 around sealy has some of the worst speed traps. they got me, the cop was on the bridge looking at traffic coming. my radar detector didnt have a chance. They hit you with laser as you head toward them. got me at 110, started slowing down cause it looked funny someone on the bridge. be very careful through Sealy. Yeah i hauled after I figured what happened but they had troopers waiting for me down the road.
Now this is subjective, but I think a cop shooting laser is more likely to target a bike/sports car over a truck/van. I know I would. With laser, you can't just point in a general direction... It's very nature requires the officer to target a specific vehicle.

Oh, and this is slightly off-topic, but I love it that most cops don't know how to operate instant-on properly. They flip it on and off too quickly, so I always know they're there a mile away

EDIT: wtf?! Sifu, Did you change your name, or is a mod playing a joke?

Last edited by yeraboof; 10-20-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Sifu
yeraboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeraboof View Post
EDIT: wtf?! Sifu, Did you change your name, or is a mod playing a joke?
it finally became available so the system automatically changed it to his first screen name request.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #30
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:

exactly... get a good radar detector and ALWAYS have a rabbit if you;re going to speed. drive the speed limit long enough and a rabbit will find you. stay about 1/4 mile back from him and speed your off until he gets pulled over.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #31
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

first things last; no, no cop chooses one target over another. getting a ticket seems personal to YOU or ME, but when you give them out all day you don't care. it's like being a doctor, you give bad news to the beautiful and the ugly alike. you choose your target when you're %100 sure you have the right vehicle since you have to go to court and testify. it's not personal on their end, it just feels like it to you.
I have no idea why they changed my name, I never more whores at the same time than I can afford. fix me you whores!!!!

PM's open temporarily.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #32
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

ooooo can we have a word filter for every time someone types "Sifu" its filtered to ""?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #33
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
ooooo can we have a word filter for every time someone types "Sifu" its filtered to ""?
you deserve better. whenever someone types "" it says Sifu.

wait...

PM's open temporarily.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #34
yeraboof
( . v . )

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
I have no idea why they changed my name, I never more whores at the same time than I can afford. fix me you whores!!!!
lol, that's hilarious. I didn't know the mods were that cool

Advertisement