MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Customer service is dead. Why the wouldn't he pull the part if one is being shipped the next day. You are a paying customer and bought a bike. He is looking out for an imaginary person that doesn't yet exist (the buyer of the bike on the floor). All the shenanigans dealers pull and they can't just take a part off and replace it with a brand new one without telling anyone. Lazy . I could maybe understand if you were at a place down the street from your house but you're a long way from home on a motorcycle trip and he won't help you out rider to rider. Hardly anyone has great customer service anymore.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH and Motorcycle Track Days in 2012 cdill35 Taking it to the Track 23 01-30-2012 02:57 AM
Any motorcycle gear and accessories dealers in HARWIN? Soull2Soull General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-27-2008 11:45 AM
Suggested Motorcycle Dealers iCole General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-16-2008 12:19 PM
wtf is up with motorcycle dealers that don't know what a sale price is? TWISTED METAL General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-19-2007 01:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
Desmorider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
To play devils advocate for a second...

I have worked in the "dealer" setting before for 15 years or so...

It is a VERY bad practice to rob Peter to pay Paul becuase happens and
to be fair, 99.9% of the Pauls you pay with Peters rectifier are grateful for
about 5 minutes then they are back to bidness as usual and you are stuck with a brand new,
unsellable unit while you wait for a part that could
potentialy be back ordered.

Are there exceptions to be made? Yep. To a drop in, one time client who's
emergency isn't exactly your emergency, not really.

Sorry, just the truth...
Except that he had a dealer agree to overnight the identical part to him....
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

That is unbelievable, you can not expect him to remove parts off a new bike. I have taken things off my own truck due to parts ability being next day, customer begged me to had to leave town that night. I explained to him if I take the part off he still had to pay the same price because my truck would need the new part. When he came and picked it up was dissatisfied with the price about the part etc... I stayed and finished that truck at 10:00 at night and waited for him to come get it. That right there is appreciation.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Do you ever finance service?
Sure, I've put repair bills on a credit card.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
^^^but you're in the position to be able to do that(ddgtomohawk)

I think nearly all of us can agree you go above and beyond for the customer and are always here to offer sound advise to members on your own time. Dealerships need that type of outlook but fall very short all too often.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #26
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

Well, I am learning things here. I was obviously wrong in my initial thought that he made a poor decision.....it looks like half or more here would do the same thing, and they are presumable riders.

That is why I asked. As a dealer, it helps me gain perspective. I guess I would rather go broke than leave a rider stranded when I have a perfectly good part sitting there that takes minutes to swap.

Thanks all for the thoughts.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #27
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmorider View Post
Except that he had a dealer agree to overnight the identical part to him....
I'm not saying the dealer was right or wrong.

I'm just saying that there is a whole lot of "down" side for him and not a
whole lot of "up".

The before you last week might have him over on a simular
deal and he has a bad taste in his mouth still...

It is a bussiness after all...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I were the owner i would pull the part off a floor model in THIS case, but I can also understand why he wouldn't. Can't believe he wouldn't agree to install the part the other dealer was willing to overnight though.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #29
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
^^^but you're in the position to be able to do that(ddgtomohawk)

I think nearly all of us can agree you go above and beyond for the customer and are always here to offer sound advise to members on your own time. Dealerships need that type of outlook but fall very short all too often.
Cali just curious from your post I can tell your very capable and work at a high end dealer, you never get tired of dealer politics?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
Cali just curious from your post I can tell your very capable and work at a high end dealer, you never get tired of dealer politics?
Everyday.

Last to mention, before the wreck that put me out of work I was a working shop foreman so I got a spiff which was the percentage of what all the techs made and whatever I made myself personally working on cars. I was then told that I'd be dispatching work to the shop, so I did. I pushed all techs to work a level higher then they were and it brought a 65% increase in shop hours without increase in comeback index. Because of all the work I had little time to make my own hours but the spiff took care of that.

Our new service manager loved the increase in the last 3 months(now you see why I hadnt been on MH during the day too often) so he took my job spiff, split it w another new tech to the shop and split the work load into teams. I lost my title(which is least of my concerns) but all my hard work had gone away; techs are complaining again they arent making hours(25-30wk) and half the shop has to answer to a new tech that doesnt know their work habits and hadnt touched a BMW in 10yrs(which infact was his answer when people came to him asking questions.)

Shop politics at a dealer are horrible. That will never change. Being someone's friend will get you further then being a good worker. Plain and simple.

I've learned my job is simply my job. I dont put any extra effort into it after hours because my job is only there to fuel my life, which happens after work. I still put an extraordinary amount of effort into everyone even while Im off sending cases to BMW PUMA for techs(being most arent qualified and we dont have a way in the shop to send pics, but I do.) I will say its sad when the loss of one working tech effects so many from lack of tools that he openly provided etc.

I have become complacent which is why I stay there. I roll w the punches and can pretty much do anything I want at any given time however am wise enough to work within the rules of the company.

Too long an answer? Im going stir crazy at home lol.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #31
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I don't know how you do it Cali. I was a tech for two years and the last 1 1/2 SUCKED. I'll never work in a dealer again. My old boss(from the good 6 months) started at a new dealer and found out my older sister worked there. He got my number, called me up, and offered me a postition making pretty good
money. I just couldn't do it again.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
Dollartree99

Bike(s):
Used R-1
'Busa

Something fishy here---Has his own dealership? Wants another dealer to rob parts off a new bike to fix his? Does he do that at his dealership? With his own dealership, why can't he just get parts from his business (a new bike there) and fix it himself? I think this is one of those phishing trips just to see who all will nibble at the bait. If it is, he did a good job. If not, I do not want to do business with his dealership if he takes parts off a bike that I might buy (expecting a new bike) just to fix someone else's bike. Think about it guys and gals...
Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #33
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

never said bike dealer
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
GAU-8
official thread ender.

I would take the part off the new bike, and have the new part installed the next day or so.

IF...IF by some chance in cold , a buyer came along and said "I gotta haves it!!" I would say, there is a component issue with said bike, recognozed by the mfg. AND that we tested ours, and it had poor results, the new unit will be in shortly, and the bike will still he in warranty. That's what I would have done, and helped the biker.

This is a simple electical component swap. Not asking for cylinder sleeves, shifting fork, or other parts requiring a lot of work. Its what, maybe a 30 second swap?

The people who hold out for thw "big sale" are the ones who go broke, waiting on a smaller chance (knowing full well, the item has sat for quite some time) rather than get a happy (and possibly) repeat customer, the next time they are in town.

If one is in business for quick and "golden" sales, rather than taking care of of customers, present and potential ones, your business won't be very good, or will go out of service.

For those that nay-say, and ask about "the customer who comes in with the cash/right now"... he hasn't shown up. And safety wise, this isn't an issue. Like another said earlier, it will be replaced with a known good, and potentially better part.

My two cents.

(On my phone, glaring tpypos)
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #35
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I would be to find out the new bike I bought had parts removed and replaced. I wouldn't want to buy a bike from a dealer who practiced this kind of service. I have little trust in dealers as it is. I don't want them wrenching on my bike any more than necessary to have one ready to sell.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #36
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
I would take the part off the new bike, and have the new part installed the next day or so.

IF...IF by some chance in cold , a buyer came along and said "I gotta haves it!!" I would say, there is a component issue with said bike, recognozed by the mfg. AND that we tested ours, and it had poor results, the new unit will be in shortly, and the bike will still he in warranty. That's what I would have done, and helped the biker.

This is a simple electical component swap. Not asking for cylinder sleeves, shifting fork, or other parts requiring a lot of work. Its what, maybe a 30 second swap?

The people who hold out for thw "big sale" are the ones who go broke, waiting on a smaller chance (knowing full well, the item has sat for quite some time) rather than get a happy (and possibly) repeat customer, the next time they are in town.

If one is in business for quick and "golden" sales, rather than taking care of of customers, present and potential ones, your business won't be very good, or will go out of service.

For those that nay-say, and ask about "the customer who comes in with the cash/right now"... he hasn't shown up. And safety wise, this isn't an issue. Like another said earlier, it will be replaced with a known good, and potentially better part.

My two cents.

(On my phone, glaring tpypos)
It's probably two bolts and one connector. For 's sake, it takes the same time as swapping out a headlight bulb.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #37
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The question is where does it stop? I can see it starting with a small part and then what? Trying to make everyone happy will end in failure.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #38
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

From now on I will never wait for a part to be ordered for my car or my bike. I will demand that the dealership pull off existing stock. Who's with me?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #39
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
From now on I will never wait for a part to be ordered for my car or my bike. I will demand that the dealership pull off existing stock. Who's with me?
Let me know how that works out
Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #40
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
Sorry bud, but if I was the manager I wouldn't pull parts off of a new bike either.
Neither would I.

But I would make the offer than any and all parts on that new bike would be available - for the full purchase price of the bike.
Closed Thread

Advertisement