MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Cold and rainy

I'm looking at getting prepared for colder weather. I am about to change companies and will be working in an office. What do you guys do with your wet gear?

I'm looking at this for a jacket...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-2-Jacket.aspx

And I'm having a hard time with pants. I have looked at stuff with the waterproof treatment on the outside of the jackets, but I'm starting to think I just need to buy rain specific gear so it doesn't soak up the water. Storing wet gear in an office doesn't sound good. Or am I just over thinking it? Tell me what you other office commuters do.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can cold gas increase performance, like cold air does? GAU-8 Performance and Modifications 10 07-01-2015 03:55 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

That seems like a nice jacket for the price. I like the collar as my winter jacket has no collar like that so the cold air rushes down my neck.

Anyway, I usually just shake my rain gear off a bit in the parking garage, then hang it in my cubie to let it try. As you mentioned, I would recommend getting something that doesn't absorb the water or it will take a while to dry. What I've done in the past with my waterproof Fieldsheer is aim the fan I keep at my desk on my jacket to help it dry. But for rain specific gear I have Frogg Toggs and a Motoboss 1 piece rain suit. The 1 piece is nice in the winter because it doesn't breathe well so I stay nice and warm.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
That seems like a nice jacket for the price. I like the collar as my winter jacket has no collar like that so the cold air rushes down my neck.

Anyway, I usually just shake my rain gear off a bit in the parking garage, then hang it in my cubie to let it try. As you mentioned, I would recommend getting something that doesn't absorb the water or it will take a while to dry. What I've done in the past with my waterproof Fieldsheer is aim the fan I keep at my desk on my jacket to help it dry. But for rain specific gear I have Frogg Toggs and a Motoboss 1 piece rain suit. The 1 piece is nice in the winter because it doesn't breathe well so I stay nice and warm.
I was looking at the one pieces and came across this. Can't seem to find many reviews about it. I may have to give it a try.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ated-Suit.aspx

There are so many things out there.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
There are so many things out there.
Tell me about it! I hate shopping for gear because for that very reason. I find so many different and neat pieces that I can't decide, so I buy nothing. I wish there was someplace I could go to see and try a lot of different jackets and suits.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i wear a firstgear teton jacket
http://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle-...ton_jacket.htm
TetonBlkF
cycle gear actually got me a really good deal on one. it was something like $150.
i get a lot of use out of this jacket- hot or cold this guy is ready for it. with the liner in and the vents closed, i have ridden in the low 20's. in the heat, i have ridden in above 100 with the liner out and all of the vents open. very comfortably, i might add. on the right sleeve, there is a vent that directs air right onto your back. the only complaint i have about the jacket is that the neck closure is a little too tight and too tall in the front. i'd also like it if it could be snapped open like a regular shirt collar.

as for gloves, right now i am wearing five (that is the brand's name) supermoto gloves. cg had another badass item marked low. i picked these $80 gloves up for $30.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...rmotard_Gloves
fivegloves supermoto glvs wht MD
these gloves have done pretty well so far. the palm isnt as taut as i'd like it to be. when i'm changing speed and direction and working the blinkers and levers at the same time for this one up intersection in my neighborhood, sometimes the gloves seem cumbersome or bulky, but they have been really good to me so far other than that.

i dont have any leg protection from the elements, but wear 5.11 tactical pants as part of my uniform. they are somewhat water resistant.
frogg toggs are good though, i hear. cheap, too.

i wear combat boots with my uniform, so the feet are almost always dry.

i hope this helps.
if you like spending money, the aerostitch roadcrafter suit is teh bomb- i hear.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

oh yeah, my helmet.
a kbc magnum mugello
41E0jtgFXcL SL500 AA300
its a pretty cool helmet for summer riding, but i need to find a better winter helmet. it feels like my face gets frostbite when i ride on really cold mornings.
for the bike commuter, i'd recommend a bright helmet that screams attention . a bland, unnoticeable helmet is bad with drivers who arent paying attention.

reflective stickers. you may want to invest in those as well.

thank you, this has been 'commuting in the dark months' with your host, loosenoose
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I commuted for a long time. I have cold weather gear and raon gear.
Most textiles are at least water resistant and many are water proof but I still prefer rain gear on top. My 2 cents.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

if you plan on being in the rain nothing is gonna beat a rain suit, you need some sort of coverage for your legs even my snowboarding pants sometimes will seep water through them. I just got kinda burnt out on riding in the rain, brought some backup gear for if it rained in the afternoon on the way back but tried to avoid commuting in the rain.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
alia
Sad and dormant

Bike(s):
2002 Suzuki SV650S

Send a message via MSN to alia
I have one of the Aerostitch Roadcrafter suits. I called it my moon suit. It kept catcalls down to a minimum and beat anything I ever tried before that in terms of staying dry: ski pants, plastic rain gear worn over thick jeans and a textile jacket, and just packing another set of clothes and expecting to change. I intentionally bought the one-piece, even though I -wanted- to buy the separates that zip together. I knew if I bought the jumpsuit, I wouldn't have a choice about only wearing half of it and being less protected when I -felt- like getting some attention (which was never, anyway) or feeling the wind on my skin.

The only downside is that it's heavy, and it took up my whole storage trunk, where I normally locked my helmet away, which meant I needed to tote my helmet around. It also stiffens up a bit in cold weather.

As for drying, I had an office with a gale-force air vent in it. I would lay the suit flat on top of some file cabinets under the vents, and anything that had gotten any water at all would dry in a few hours. If your cubicle doesn't have a good vent, maybe there's a little-used file closet or conference room that does?

Regardless of how good the suit was, I never found the perfect boots or gloves that were also waterproof, so I kept a few old towels in my desk and would stuff them into my boots, rearranging what part of the towel was stuffed in so keep the wicking going. I would roll wet socks and gloves into the towels and stomp on them to get most of the water out, then leave them to dry under the vent with the suit. I kept some heels in the same place as the towels to wear while at the office.

Summertime, the rain feels great, and you can always get proud/sympathetic glances from other riders (whether hp- or pedal-propelled) and pedestrians. But winter was always miserable. GL, and HTH.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Bohlder

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow
Suzuki SV1000 (soon)

Today was a LITTLE chilly in the mornin, So I used a standard PVC 2 pc rain suit. The Great thing about the rain suits is that in normal Houston winter weather it seals in your body heat and with denim jeans it's not warm but it's tolerable. I don't have a long ride to work since I live 15 min away and I drive through inner Houston to get there so no freeway rides. But you could do what I do (on a budget) Wear standard street winter clothes (Scarf, GOOD thermal underwear, Leather biker jacket, good gloves, high top boots.) I have a cheepo leather oldie biker jacket that has a liner already in it. Got it off craigslist for a steal.

The whole point is if your on a budget...use your warm street clothes with GOOD rain gear. Not the Walmart stuff. Those pants are NOT waterproof!
Bohlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Bohlder

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow
Suzuki SV1000 (soon)

OH! I forgot, on long rides or really cold days...Balaclava! Cheap and Worth it!
Bohlder is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement