MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Question New GSXR clutch

So I burnt up my clutch last trackday on my '07 GSXR 600 trackbike. It was due to the adjuster backing out.

I'm not a track noobie, but I'm not a fast guy either. I'm familiar with, and very comfortable with doing my own general maintenance. i.e. I can and do change my own oil, filters, wheels, sprockets, exhaust, chain, brakes, lines, throttle cable, stator cover, clip ons, levers, rear sets, plastics, etc.

That being said,
Lots of questions:

Is changing a clutch something that is easy enough to do on my own?
Should I go with a slipper clutch? (track only bike)
I see all these kevlar friction clutches online. Are those good? Or better than OEM?
Should I just stay with OEM?
Does Sunny's or Metric install clutches? Please share any experience.

Thanks everyone in advance
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
09 gsxr 1000 clutch cable Tony1K General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-29-2014 05:15 PM
GSXR Clutch- clean or replace? D-Man How To's and Q & A's 27 05-29-2014 01:04 AM
GSXR 600 Clutch OpnCskt Performance and Modifications 79 02-21-2013 08:01 PM
GSXR Clutch lump9 How To's and Q & A's 5 03-12-2007 11:26 PM
gsxr clutch issue mekrew How To's and Q & A's 6 04-13-2006 11:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
So I burnt up my clutch last trackday on my '07 GSXR 600 trackbike. It was due to the adjuster backing out.

I'm not a track noobie, but I'm not a fast guy either. I'm familiar with, and very comfortable with doing my own general maintenance. i.e. I can and do change my own oil, filters, wheels, sprockets, exhaust, chain, brakes, lines, throttle cable, stator cover, clip ons, levers, rear sets, plastics, etc.

That being said,
Lots of questions:

Is changing a clutch something that is easy enough to do on my own?
Should I go with a slipper clutch? (track only bike)
I see all these kevlar friction clutches online. Are those good? Or better than OEM?
Should I just stay with OEM?
Does Sunny's or Metric install clutches? Please share any experience.

Thanks everyone in advance
very easy to yourself. go back with oem and i always do slightly heavier springs. i also soak the fibers in tranny fluid over night the night before. old guy told me to do that and in the years i've been riding hasn't let me down yet. if you're not all that fast and not all that slow save yourself some money on the slipper clutch and do more track days.

btw do you have a factory manual for the bike. that helps.

and yes sunny's and metric do clutches. and i know for a fact fact metric does a load more than easy clutches. that's for sure.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown

Last edited by paniro187; 10-13-2010 at 06:38 AM.
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Its really a 15 min. job after you do it once. Use OEM and soak them. I soak them in ziploc bags to keep the fibers separate. Pull them off and keep them stacked as them came off. Replace them in kind just as they came off. Its that easy. When you start it up the first time use a rear wheel stand. The clutch will need adjustment after.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Jerzey
The Trickster

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

since the bike comes with a slipper cluch. after you change the plates will it still be a slipper clutch??? i know slipper is the brand name but its also a tecnology. so will it still work the same way???
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey View Post
since the bike comes with a slipper cluch. after you change the plates will it still be a slipper clutch??? i know slipper is the brand name but its also a tecnology. so will it still work the same way???
Yes, it will still be a slipper clutch.

You are changing the friction material... NOT the lift plate mechanism. There is a cam system behind the clutch basket that will lift up on the pressure plate on hard engine braking causing a "slip" of the clutch.

HOWEVER, if you change frictions/steels, you WILL need to re-adjust the slipper pins to the proper tolerances or the slipper will not work correctly.

Typically when changing frictions/steels to new ones, the stack height will have increased, the slip will decrease because MORE air gap between the lifter pins and cam mech.

As the frictions/steels wear out (stack height decreases) and the lifter pins have LESS air gap between them and the cam mech. this means MORE slip.

I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
bonez409

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

I used the ebc kevlar kit with +tension spring. woohoo 50,000 miles later still picking the front wheel up
bonez409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Looks like Ill be needing to do my clutch as well
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Looks like Ill be needing to do my clutch as well
I have a complete clutch (basket and all) with your name on it.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement