MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #41
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
There are too many scrubs that believe they're the exception to the rule, a large portion of which tends to make a big mess when they do.

You're born, you grow up...the longer you live, the greater the 'chance' that you're going to get sick or get injured.

(btw tough versatile)

Put it this way, make it 25 years... then come back and tell us that the statistics are shyte and us 'old guys' don't have a clue.

No. I'll just enjoy my life instead.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking bad parody. "joking bad" tunaluna Off Topic 3 09-14-2013 10:17 PM
I Want One Of These......Bad! gunshotwound General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 06-14-2009 03:19 PM
bad pain in bad place MudBug Off Topic 98 02-23-2009 07:06 PM
WOW BAD BAD BAD WRECK ON 290 txgsxrbob Off Topic 20 02-25-2008 02:30 PM
not bad! Warpbender General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 12-11-2007 10:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #42
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
because it might be 30 years down the road before you lowside, hit a deer, slip at a stop light. something will happen. no one says you are going to get injured
This is true, but everyone blows it out of proportion. It's a dangerous hobby, and not one to take lightly but it's not like you get hurt all the time. Sure a lot of people get torn up but most get hurt maybe just a couple times throughout their motorcycling "career". I have torn both my meniscuses, torn ligaments, torn rotator cuff, broken clavicle, broken ankle, broken arm, fingers, toes, foot, hand, had blood drained out of my , knows how many concussions, fractured skull, stitches everywhere, dislocated shoulder, slipped a disc in my back, ruptured ear drums, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few all from skateboarding. I mean there are hobbies out there that you know, "today I am coming home hurting." I think dirt riding is about twice as dangerous as street. And joining the marines about twice as dangerous as dirt riding. Motorcycling is dangerous but don't let everyone turn you off by posting every little accident they get into etc. My point is, there is a lot more dangerous stuff you could be doing but for some reason or another some motorcyclists like to think their hobby is the most dangerous thing in the world. You will never encounter such preachy "look both ways before you cross the street" people as you do in motorcycling and I think it turns a lot of people off to it. Just take it easy, you'll get the hang of it and soon won't be able to think of life without a bike.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #43
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post

No. I'll just enjoy my life instead.
Do you 'worry' about slipping or falling? I don't think so, not until enviromental conditions lend you a reason to. So why should riding be different.

Quit trying to blow what's been said/stated out of proportion.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #44
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

you people! I was riding through life without a care in the world. This thread is about to bust my bubble. , Im jinxed now.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #45
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
This is true, but everyone blows it out of proportion. It's a dangerous hobby, and not one to take lightly but it's not like you get hurt all the time. Sure a lot of people get torn up but most get hurt maybe just a couple times throughout their motorcycling "career". I have torn both my meniscuses, torn ligaments, torn rotator cuff, broken clavicle, broken ankle, broken arm, fingers, toes, foot, hand, had blood drained out of my , knows how many concussions, fractured skull, stitches everywhere, dislocated shoulder, slipped a disc in my back, ruptured ear drums, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few all from skateboarding. I mean there are hobbies out there that you know, "today I am coming home hurting." I think dirt riding is about twice as dangerous as street. And joining the marines about twice as dangerous as dirt riding. Motorcycling is dangerous but don't let everyone turn you off by posting every little accident they get into etc. My point is, there is a lot more dangerous stuff you could be doing but for some reason or another some motorcyclists like to think their hobby is the most dangerous thing in the world. You will never encounter such preachy "look both ways before you cross the street" people as you do in motorcycling and I think it turns a lot of people off to it. Just take it easy, you'll get the hang of it and soon won't be able to think of life without a bike.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #46
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

If someone was to start a new thread titled up was towards the sky and down was towards the ground, a huge argument would ensue with people challenging that comment.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #47
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

half full or half empty...chicken or egg
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #48
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

There's no guarantee that you will wreck. The odds are stacked most heavily against you when you are a new rider (less than two years). If you ride long enough, the odds are that you will wreck eventualy but there is no guarantee.

You have a great deal of control over those odds with your choices of where, when and how you ride. There are roads that I will not voluntarily ride on due to traffic volume and numbers of bad drivers. I won't ride on Friday and Satuday nights with al of the drunks on the road. Learn to spot traffic conditions that place you at greatest risk and be especialy alert at thse times, avoid blind spots, pay attention to where you are in your lane and maintain your escape routes.

I've been riding on and off for 35 years and have never so much as dropped a bike on the street. I have had plenty of close calls and on two occasions had vehicles actually back up onto my front wheel but never a drop. Every time I ride I dress for and plan for the potential fall.

There are sometimes situations that you cannot prevent or avoid, but you can certainly minimize your exposure. So no, it is not a given that you will wreck but you better plan for the possibility of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #49
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

I think the car (vehicle) is the most dangerous thing ever created.
I think more people die in traffic accidents than all the wars combined.

I have been legally riding motorcycles for 35 yrs on the street,
I somewhat disagree with the statement....

I think its not so much "when" but HOW!

I really only see a few "HOWS"
1. playing speed racer on the street. (speeding/hitting the twisties)
2. Panic "over" breaking (unable to control speed)
3. not expecting the unexpected (lack of road experience)
4. unfamiliar with controls and bike (first time rider)

Experience on the road helps you understand the ever changing traffic and road conditions and the dangers created.

for a young "new" rider the lack of experience in traffic, road conditions and just plain "strange" things can become overwhelming in an emergency.

even for me, when I seem to escape death on the road, its only by the sweet grace of Almighty (thank you)

but if your lucky, and can control yourself, the chances of crashing or death on a motorcycle are only about 97%......

I do not know of one rider who has NOT crashed.
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #50
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
I do not know of one rider who has NOT crashed.
me either.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #51
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarPride View Post
I just got my first bike last week and have a grand total of about 25 miles of experience. I have been reading a lot of the threads on the forum and man are there a bunch of stories of wrecks. I have no intention of going anywhere near a freeway for some time and I know stuff happens but I have to admit that all these stories have made me second guess my decision to pick up the sport.

I guess my question to you experienced riders is this: is it not a question of if you go down but when and how bad?
EXACTLY what i did. ride where you are comfortable man. It seems obvious, but things start flying by much quicker at 70 mph than they do at 40. your reaction time is reduced, it takes longer to slow down, plus u have 18 wheeliers and other idiot vehicles going at high speeds.

BUt as others have mentioned, Intersections are just as scary and crazy S#$# happens there too.

Let me know if you wanna ride around town together some time. I ride about 5 mph over the speed limit and always scan around me. Make sure you roll with gear on. Try to have no skin exposed. i want NO PART of road rash
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #52
texasyankee

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
me either.
Do I know either of you? Thirty years plus of riding and no street wrecks. You can count the four track day incidents if you want, but I don't think that's what's being discussed here.

I've had a lot more close calls on my bicycle than on a motorcycle. Someone almost killed me last Saturday while I was riding my bike.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #53
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Never wrecked either. I have dropped the bike on its side. I wasnt even on it at the time.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #54
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

ic045z

They take an ice cold brillo pad with salt water and scrub till everything is raw

Last edited by Mr.D; 10-07-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Mr.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #55
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

ic045z

They take an ice cold brillo pad with salt water. They scrub and scrub till everything is raw.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #56
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I haven't read the whole thread (at work) but one piece of advice that will serve you well, beyond always wear the gear, is ride your own ride. Don't let others influence you to ride in a way that you are not comfortable with.
I've been riding since 1980 and although I have about 5 accidents, none included injuries beyond scrapes and bruises. Gear makes a difference.
Be careful, ride within your limits, you'll be fine.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #57
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
ic045z

They take an ice cold brillo pad with salt water. They scrub and scrub till everything is raw.
Sound soothing. I hear if feels like butterfly kisses.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #58
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Sound soothing. I hear if feels like butterfly kisses.
I hear whoever told you that is full of .

Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #59
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I haven't read the whole thread (at work) but one piece of advice that will serve you well, beyond always wear the gear, is ride your own ride. Don't let others influence you to ride in a way that you are not comfortable with.
I've been riding since 1980 and although I have about 5 accidents, none included injuries beyond scrapes and bruises. Gear makes a difference.
Be careful, ride within your limits, you'll be fine.
solid, solid advice !
Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #60
SpeedRat
Ton up!

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Speed Triple
'86 Honda V65 Magna
'72 BMW R60/5 Cafe Racer

I've been riding for about 12 years and have never gone down...hopefully I'm not jinxing myself...but I have come close to having a few accidents. Even more impressive is that my dad is about 62 years old and he's never gone down and he still rides although not nearly as much as when he was a kid. Just be as careful and aware of your surroundings as you can, but sometimes you can't control what happens. Such is life, don't let it get in between you and your bike.

Edit: forgot to add that my dad's been riding for over 50 years.

Last edited by SpeedRat; 10-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.
SpeedRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement