Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
LoneStarPride

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
HD XL1200 Custom

Is it not if but when and how bad?

I just got my first bike last week and have a grand total of about 25 miles of experience. I have been reading a lot of the threads on the forum and man are there a bunch of stories of wrecks. I have no intention of going anywhere near a freeway for some time and I know stuff happens but I have to admit that all these stories have made me second guess my decision to pick up the sport.

I guess my question to you experienced riders is this: is it not a question of if you go down but when and how bad?
LoneStarPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking bad parody. "joking bad" tunaluna Off Topic 3 09-14-2013 10:17 PM
I Want One Of These......Bad! gunshotwound General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 06-14-2009 03:19 PM
bad pain in bad place MudBug Off Topic 98 02-23-2009 07:06 PM
WOW BAD BAD BAD WRECK ON 290 txgsxrbob Off Topic 20 02-25-2008 02:30 PM
not bad! Warpbender General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 12-11-2007 10:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

always wear your gear and the chances of injury go down. they'll never go away because of the nature of the sport. I rode for 14 years before I ever had a "incident". and then wearing full gear minimalized my injuries. just stay alert, be prepared and if you ever think you know all there is to riding, sell the bike cause you're going to get hurt
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Everyone is going to tell you that yes, it's not if you go down it's when.

What I wonder is, why they have that mentality? Just because you own a motorcycle, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be in an accident. That's almost a ridiculous thing to say. Has every person who has owned a car, been in a wreck? Don't be discouraged by that slogan.

If you enjoy riding, and have a complete sense of awareness while riding, and do your best to ride within your limits, which would be obeying the laws anyway, could and should be able to enjoy your motorcycle without any headaches.

I have been riding for 4 or 5 years, 3 sport bikes and 1 cruiser and I have only had 1 mishap. That was entirely my fault, and I low-sided at 5mph. I hardly say that was an accident, but I did in fact fall over. No injuries what so ever besides my ego.

Just ride smart, ride safe, and ride like nobody sees you and everyone is going to cut you off.

Have fun!
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Most of these wrecks are because people are riding like fucktards. You have to realize that there are a lot of really young guys on here with bikes that are fast as . Just take is easy, be alert, and relax (but not too relaxed). When you are all tense you overreact and put yourself at danger.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post
What I wonder is, why they have that mentality? Just because you own a motorcycle, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be in an accident. That's almost a ridiculous thing to say.

I take on that mentality for the sole purpose of being well prepared if it does happen. I ride like an old lady on the streets, too.

Thats what we wear the gear, right? Thats why cars have seat belts. Plus keeps you aware and more ready for the moment.

Always assume and prepare for the worst and you will be well equipped shall the situation arise.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

IMO Freeways have always been the least of my concerns. City streets are the real killers. Freeways are real easy to deal with and negotiate.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Everyone is going to tell you that yes, it's not if you go down it's when.

What I wonder is, why they have that mentality? Just because you own a motorcycle, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be in an accident. That's almost a ridiculous thing to say. Has every person who has owned a car, been in a wreck? Don't be discouraged by that slogan.

If you enjoy riding, and have a complete sense of awareness while riding, and do your best to ride within your limits, which would be obeying the laws anyway, could and should be able to enjoy your motorcycle without any headaches.

I have been riding for 4 or 5 years, 3 sport bikes and 1 cruiser and I have only had 1 mishap. That was entirely my fault, and I low-sided at 5mph. I hardly say that was an accident, but I did in fact fall over. No injuries what so ever besides my ego.

Just ride smart, ride safe, and ride like nobody sees you and everyone is going to cut you off.

Have fun!

wow... a whole 5 years. the fact is the term accident does not have to include the word car in the same sentence. the fact is yes, you did have a accident. you just didn't get hurt. justify it any way you want to, but the fact of the matter is you went down.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

59848 1577726559182 1116153886 31713014 4617455 n

When you wreck without gear its bad.

I will post up pics for you bro.

These are the pretty pictures. I have some pics from the emergency room. You have any more questions let me know man. I can tell you step by step of the torture of road rash.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
wow... a whole 5 years. the fact is the term accident does not have to include the word car in the same sentence. the fact is yes, you did have a accident. you just didn't get hurt. justify it any way you want to, but the fact of the matter is you went down.
This is exactly what I'm talking about OP. People like this, are all over these forums.

Like I said in my original post, where I explained that I did wreck, just because you have a motorcycle doesn't mean you'll be involved in a accident. Accordingly, just because some old fart who thinks he's infinitely smarter than you because he's older, doesn't mean you'll follow in his footsteps.

Have fun on your motorcycle. Like el tejano said, be relaxed and aware all the time. Never get comfortable just looking straight.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
59848 1577726559182 1116153886 31713014 4617455 n

When you wreck without gear its bad.

I will post up pics for you bro.

These are the pretty pictures. I have some pics from the emergency room. You have any more questions let me know man. I can tell you step by step of the torture of road rash.
dude, it turned your skin all dark and .
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Mr D. Can you explain how you wrecked?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
dude, it turned your skin all dark and .
LOL
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about OP. People like this, are all over these forums.

Like I said in my original post, where I explained that I did wreck, just because you have a motorcycle doesn't mean you'll be involved in a accident. Accordingly, just because some old fart who thinks he's infinitely smarter than you because he's older, doesn't mean you'll follow in his footsteps.

Have fun on your motorcycle. Like el tejano said, be relaxed and aware all the time. Never get comfortable just looking straight.
people say "if not if but when" because it is true. might not be a life changing event. might be minor like your event. but it still happens. this is a sport that one cannot get complacent with. it will bite your in a heart beat. and if you lose the mentality of "it CAN happen to me" you get sloppy and happens.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
people say "if not if but when" because it is true. might not be a life changing event. might be minor like your event. but it still happens. this is a sport that one cannot get complacent with. it will bite your in a heart beat. and if you lose the mentality of "it CAN happen to me" you get sloppy and happens.
While I would like to agree, it's still an obviously literal statement that, just because you own a motorcycle doesn't not mean you will be involved in an accident.

You can not sit there and tell me that each person that has owned a motorcycle, has crashed in some form, at one time. That's just entirely not true and I wouldn't want people telling me that my first time on a motorcycle. It's just stupid and I would think anyone with common sense would know that can't possibly be true.

Sure, motorcycle mishaps are common, and easy to come by. That's about as far as it goes.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Mr D. Can you explain how you wrecked?
Going down 1960. Had the green light. Car motioned like he was going to cross. I slowed down. He stopped. I accelerated. He went at the last min. I t-boned him and flew over the top of his vehicle.

He took off.

I never saw my bike again. I have no idea what damaged happened to it. By the time I got out of the hospital it wasn't worth getting the bike out of the tow lot.

All the damage you see on my right arm and all the damage to my left arm and ribs.

Fractured pelvis as well. Couldn't walk or use the bathroom alone for a while. Was in a cut up hawaiian punch jug and my brother would empty it for me.

Had to inject myself in the stomach daily. I did it twice and said :f*ck this.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
Going down 1960. Had the green light. Car motioned like he was going to cross. I slowed down. He stopped. I accelerated. He went at the last min. I t-boned him and flew over the top of his vehicle.

He took off.

I never saw my bike again. I have no idea what damaged happened to it. By the time I got out of the hospital it wasn't worth getting the bike out of the tow lot.

All the damage you see on my right arm and all the damage to my left arm and ribs.

Fractured pelvis as well. Couldn't walk or use the bathroom alone for a while. Was in a cut up hawaiian punch jug and my brother would empty it for me.

Had to inject myself in the stomach daily. I did it twice and said :f*ck this.
Brutal
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

It's called statistics. Odds are you WILL be in an accident. Nothing says how bad or serious, just merely that it will most likely happen.
Don't argue, while you want to dog on the 'old farts' what you're ignoring is that most those old farts have considerably more EXPERIENCE than you do.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #18
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Experience is one thing... statistics are a joke in most cases. Stats can say whatever you want them to.

That's besides the fact. I'm not arguing that it's likely you'll wreck, but I don't understand why to some of you it's more of a waiting game to go down... it's like setting yourself up for failure. I have known people that have ridden for 10+ years just like some of you guys, and have never had one mishap. You don't have to become a "statistic".
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

31070 1339935386490 1474326783 31050793 2168809 n

See that face... thats me hocked up on more pain killers than any human being should have.

I probably didn't know my own name

Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Hahaha. You a twin??

Advertisement