Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Stayin' Young
Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Post Hare Scramble #8 - Sam Rayburn "Monkey's Revenge"

Wow! What a treat to spend some quality time away from the hustle and bustle of the city life. Made the 2.5-3 hour journey Saturday mid afternoon to Sam Rayburn, TX for open practice. When I arrived I learned the Sat. races were starting a little late which worked out perfect. Enough time to set up my tent, unload my bike, register, etc. Unfortunately as I rolled the bike out of the truck I had a flat on the front tire....not again! Well, I aired it up, let it sit for an hour and pressure was still good. It's practice time.

The weather was PERFECT! Absolutely beautiful property as in one full parade lap to see what Otis had layed out for us....oh man, downhill declines at an angle, sharp 90 degree turns into creek beds with log crossings and then up the side of the ravines also at an angle with pine needles everywhere. Talk about slick! I swear during the race I was climbing parts of these hills with my rear tire sideways. Lots and lots of backing it through turns...I love this part about dirt racing....makes me feel so fast. By mile marker 8 I felt like I was steering a Mack truck....looked down and noticed my front tire was flat and with this place being 2,600 acres I wasn't leaving the course. Turned out to be a tear at the valve stem, so I got to spend an hour replacing the toob....better to have happened Saturday than Sunday.

Before the riders meeting on Sunday this young lad (can't be but 13 yrs old or so) comes up to me and says are you #67H sir?

"Why Yes I am, the name is Danny, yours?"

"I'm Logan, you're chasing me in overall points in the D class" with a smirk on his face.

"you ride an 85 KTM Logan?"

"yes sir"....

"Don't think I'm taking it easy on ya boy, hope you can keep up with my rear tire today."

Cool kid that's gonna be super fast with more seat time and more power....just comical that I'm racing kids less than 1/2 my age that kick my .

Anyhow, the course was pretty wicked. While there were certainly some very tight woods sections (which appropriately got named "Tree Pinball") they were usually followed by open trail sections for some speed and cooling off before climbing back into another tight section. I saw lots and lots of bark on the ground at this one! If you ran without barkbusters, better go back and count your fingers to make sure they are still in tact. Anyhow, it was a little dusty with a whole lot less mud (my preference anyhow), but the one spot that did have mud got me on my second lap. Nothing like kickstarting your bike while standing in 8 inches of soupy mud. (Thanks for the boots Mr. Ellis, I guess I'll be buying them now) I managed only one wreck where the bars actually hit the ground during the race. However, I must have had 15 or 20 "oh my pants" moments. Nothing like pinning 3rd gear wide open over a bunch of bumps you can't see b/c of the dust and having your left hand come off the bar....I thought I was done for.

Anyhow, I got a good start, managed to shave the 2 riders who did get in front of me within the first 2 miles and then made up a ton of ground where people where bottle necked at the bottom of the creek behind 2 or 3 crashed riders.... no time for chit chat, it's go time! Ended up claiming another 1st place finish which was very much needed for the overall points championship. I have a feeling a few of us "D" riders are gonna be getting bumped next season. I have no pictures, only memories of good camping, riding, racing, and bbq.

Ya'll stay tuned for the November race out at Zars Ranch near San Antonio. Everything I've heard about this property has been all good. Hope to see some of you there. Good to see the usual suspects. Thanks for coming! Post pics if you got 'em.

Last edited by dbuck; 10-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote