MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Triumphant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 Triumph Trophy 1200

Exhaust, Carb Problem?

Ok, I got my newly jet hotted exhaust pipes back on. I mean beautiful chrome. I polished my mufflers to a glass finish. All new clamps and bolts etc. I pulled the tank and cleaned the plugs. Start up the bike and it will only run on 3/4 to full choke. I shut it down and drain all 4 carb pots until the gas looks good. Wash it down and start it back up. The bike sputters then starts running more smooth. Not perfect but smoother, without choke. I rev it a few times and notice that on decel the right muffler is shooting flames. So I go over to the right side of the bike and notice that the right header pipe on the right side is glowing red and has discolored the chrome to an ugly gray. I shut it off immediately . I have no idea why the one pipe is hot and the others are not and its only about a 2 foot section of the pipe thats getting hot. I then took a look at my belly pan that was laying on the ground and sure enough the plastic was melted in this area before I did all of this work. Anyone have any ideas why 1 of 4 pipes is hotter than the rest and why the backfiring. Thanks Oh and one other thing. The buffer worked like a charm. The mufflers are mirror smooth now. No more D&D lable but who cares.

Last edited by Triumphant; 10-02-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carb problem. bike idles super high loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 11-27-2012 09:38 PM
Exhaust problem! Sebadat How To's and Q & A's 14 09-21-2012 06:12 AM
carb problem question paniro187 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 20 03-29-2011 04:06 AM
Does anyone have a list of no carb - low carb foods? GIXXERKELLY Health and Fitness 7 08-17-2009 11:32 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Well when a pipe gets so hot that it discolors it is because it's lean.
As far as the other cylinders they may not be running at all.
I would say it's carb rebuild time.
How long did it sit not running?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Triumphant

Bike(s):
2002 Triumph Trophy 1200

About 4 months but I ran it in between. Had to use the choke every time. Oh well. Time to pull the carbs and look at that jet kit.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
bc6140

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 gsxr 600

Member Garage

try SEAFOAM....or....try new plugs and/or wires if they're older than 2 years...
maybe just need to re-sync..??

Last edited by bc6140; 10-03-2010 at 02:14 AM.
bc6140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
BLiP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Make sure the airbox is seated nice and tight and all the vacumn lines are connected to the carbs. If they are cv carbs make sure the vacunm slides are working right! I bet they just need a good cleaning! Did you replace the header gasket orings or whatever they happen to be on the bike when you put the exhuast back on? I wouldnt go messing with the jets or needles if it was running right before hand and you didnt actually make any performance mods just chroming visaul stuff!
BLiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Triumphant

Bike(s):
2002 Triumph Trophy 1200

The good thing is the only vacuum line I have pulls off of carb 3 and goes to the petcock to open the gas valve. The motorcycle had just been serviced back in 2009 Jan. We were forced to move to Surfside because our house in Lake Jackson sold before the one in Spring was ready to close. The salt water air pretty much destroyed the chrome and stainless on the bike even though I had it sprayed with preservative and covered with 2 covers. I rode it to Spring and only used it a few times afterwards because of the ugly chrome and mufflers. Since then I have been out of the country working and when I came home I would start it and drive it around the block to keep it in good shape. About 4 months ago it started acting up and I thought that the new E3 spark plugs had fouled so when I did all of the clean up this time and the new pipes I figured it was just fouled carb pots. Now I think its either the carbs or the guys that balanced them did not do it properly or one of the needles on my jet kit failed. I am pretty sure its carb related but I was hoping one of you would tell me differently, I hate pulling the carbs on this bike. It takes a week to do it right and make sure they are balanced. I think that once I clean them and get them back together and I get my pipe back from Jet Hot, I am heading to Motorcycles Unlimited for a professional tune.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Triumphant

Bike(s):
2002 Triumph Trophy 1200

Oh and now my tach quit working. When it rains it pours.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Sorry bro, that is likely to be the cold hard truth. Carb cleans are a pain.
SeaFoam gets good reviews but there is another option...

The gas we run has a bunch of additives to prohibit detonation and reduce pollutants. Coleman lantern fuel is pure gasoline with NO additives. That means your engine could experience detonation under load BUT it will clean out the deposits left from old gas.
The trick is to drain the tank, put in about a quart of lantern fuel and then run/ride it easy for a little. Then refuel normally.
It's worth a shot before you spend a week cleaning carbs. It might be a good idea to replace fuel lines and flush the tank some as well.
Still a pain but maybe not as bad. Oh, you can get the Coleman at Academy or other camping places.

Of course none of this will cure any jetting issues you may have. With the mods on your bike (K&N, pipes etc you may need to re-rejet if the current jetting was done before those mods).
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 10-03-2010 at 12:25 PM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The carbs need to be removed, fully disassembled and cleaned.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
Triumphant

Bike(s):
2002 Triumph Trophy 1200

Yep, thats what I am going to start today. That and sending my pipe off for recoating. I am going to take some pics before I disassemble and share them with you. I think Jet Hot did a great job if anyone else wants to do this.

Advertisement