MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #81
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 16,368

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide






The military offers some real advantages; training, enlistment bonuses and education assistance, as well as the pride of serving your country.
However it is a commitment you have to make that is very real and has consequences atached to it.

If you're concerned about "staying out of harms way", than perhaps the military isn't a good choice for you.
While no one truly wants to die, it is an accepted risk one takes whenever one joins the military.

One insight into the Navy, make sure you are comfortable living weeks or months at a time on a ship, working in confining areas and doing the same routine.
__________________
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.
MAKE SURE TO MENTION YOU'RE ON MH TO GET THE BEST PRICE!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!


muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here in the NAVY? pwned Off Topic 30 08-27-2009 06:21 PM
NAVY Kodak Off Topic 60 04-15-2009 10:47 PM
Navy and Airforce ?? tonyt915 Off Topic 73 04-10-2009 10:38 AM
To anyone in the Navy... bhk1105 Off Topic 20 03-27-2009 10:53 AM
Anyone in the Navy? Seth Off Topic 28 05-10-2007 11:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #82
train460
speed junky
 
train460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cypress Tx (cypress N Houston & jones)
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,379

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
The military offers some real advantages; training, enlistment bonuses and education assistance, as well as the pride of serving your country.
However it is a commitment you have to make that is very real and has consequences atached to it.

If you're concerned about "staying out of harms way", than perhaps the military isn't a good choice for you.
While no one truly wants to die, it is an accepted risk one takes whenever one joins the military.

One insight into the Navy, make sure you are comfortable living weeks or months at a time on a ship, working in confining areas and doing the same routine.
What Patrick said but the main reason with airforce instead of navy.
No women on ships, altho that is outdated.
later
Michael
__________________
A man opens the door for u not because he is polite. It's so he can check out your .
Michael Hansen
Cypress Tx
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #83
Ray
Member
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Petaluma, CA.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 25

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 R1









Good luck with the NAVY...Do get all your stuff in writting...Like MOS. See what they offer you like E-2 or E-3 pay instead of E-1. I'm in the Coast Guard and enjoy it. If you like the water go to the Navy or Coast Guard. But if you don't and being on a boat isn't your thing try the Air Force. I'd say go see waht the Air Force and Coast Guard offer you. If have a few years of school under your belt you could go officer.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #84
elemental2
Senior Member
 
elemental2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southwest
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 610


Bike(s):
zx6r









Send a message via ICQ to elemental2 Send a message via AIM to elemental2 Send a message via Yahoo to elemental2
Thx for the advice all. Im ganna go look into aiforce today and hopefully coastguard on saturday if they are open wish me luck
__________________
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted or Beethoven composed music He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause and say, "Here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well..."



Don't take life to seriously; no one gets out alive.
elemental2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #85
2XTURBO
that's a space peanut
 
2XTURBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alief
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,042

Experience: 7 years











good luck
2XTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #86
Phaz3d
UnPhaz3d
 
Phaz3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Shore
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 187


Bike(s):
06 ZX10 Yellow









Send a message via ICQ to Phaz3d Send a message via AIM to Phaz3d Send a message via Yahoo to Phaz3d
Ok I was in the Navy for 7 years, what ya wanna know heh
__________________
motohouston
http://www.myspace.com/phaz3d
Phaz3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #87
Phaz3d
UnPhaz3d
 
Phaz3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Shore
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 187


Bike(s):
06 ZX10 Yellow









Send a message via ICQ to Phaz3d Send a message via AIM to Phaz3d Send a message via Yahoo to Phaz3d
Oh and the thing about being on a ship for months at a time BS, would done 12 in but canceled my orders to New Orleans before the hurricane, Thank ......I know alot of people that did 20 years and never saw a ship.
__________________
motohouston
http://www.myspace.com/phaz3d
Phaz3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #88
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









what did you make on the asvab? i was considering joining the air force or navy
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #89
fuknrobert
the necessary villain
 
fuknrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Hideout
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 14,959

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!









Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
what did you make on the asvab? i was considering joining the air force or navy
92 :icon_bigg
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #90
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already
 
Gimpin2Fold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,449












Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
I know that if you have an AP (Aircraft Airframe/Powerplant) mechanics license you can enter as a Warrant Officer. Not sure if that is E- or O- though.

a warrant is a W


i was in the arny for 3 years, did a tour in iraq. i enjoyed it, it was a good learning exp.

i always said the airforce was a whole bunch of (well....i still think that) but if i could go back, thats what i woulda joined. reasons

1. most women in the military, join the airforce

2. there is no getting told to do push-ups or up-downs if you do something wrong

3. you get the best living conditions in the states out of all the military, and over seas, when i was trying to figure out how to make a fan i bought work on 11o volts instead of 22o(thats what they use over there) to try to keep Motorcycles Unlimited cool in the crappy tents we had, they had a big "pop-up" tent that went up in less than 30 minutes that had a spot for an A/C unit, that they had.


reasons one and two r y they r *****-fied, but they do get all that, believe me, its alot. only bad thing about the AF, is you go up in rank slow
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #91
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already
 
Gimpin2Fold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,449












Quote:
Originally Posted by train460
If u go into basic with a billy badass attitude, they will ENLIGHTEN you on how badass u are. Amazing thing is they will do it without even touching u. You will learn humility real quick.
My best advise to u if u DO go in is just Shut the up and LISTEN to what they tell u to do. U want to be anonamous (sp) You want to be unknown.
Again a better bet in my opinion would be to take advise from someone who has been there.

+7568765976587658758547654765476548765987698709870 98709876987687658765976587658765876587658765876587 65876587658765876587656875875767476766745435432543 2154345768798986987690867076969869876987698769876
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #92
fuknrobert
the necessary villain
 
fuknrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Hideout
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 14,959

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!









deployments for the air force are only 4 months as well... actually that's a lie, they do a year. BUT, only 4 months in each place, then on to the next 4 months, then again... and then back home.

the benefit is that you only stay in a place like say afghanistan or iraq for 4 months. the downside is, if you get to germany... you can only have 4 months of drunken fun :(
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #93
Phaz3d
UnPhaz3d
 
Phaz3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Shore
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 187


Bike(s):
06 ZX10 Yellow









Send a message via ICQ to Phaz3d Send a message via AIM to Phaz3d Send a message via Yahoo to Phaz3d
Ok break down of the difference of the Air Force and the rest of the military......

1. Army/Navy/Marines all buy mission essential<sp> stuff. IE Runways, Hangers, HQ, CIC all that stuff. So they run out of money by time they get to living conditions and BX or PX bowling alleys, bars all that stuff.

2. The Air Force however builds all the Living conditions first along with bowling alleys, bars, living conditions....they run out of money...but what good is an Air Force Base without a runway and hangers....so they are granted more money for the "Mission" ready stuff.
__________________
motohouston
http://www.myspace.com/phaz3d
Phaz3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #94
LowNSlowNeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
ya people screaming at you telling you what to do is the way
I got yelled at in basic.. that's it...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
we'll put that on his tombstone

That's a pretty ****ed up thing to say.. you got more chances of dying on your uber cool stunt bike than I do fighting in Iraq.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ARM1LEG
a warrant is a W


i was in the arny for 3 years, did a tour in iraq. i enjoyed it, it was a good learning exp.

i always said the airforce was a whole bunch of (well....i still think that) but if i could go back, thats what i woulda joined. reasons


1. most women in the military, join the airforce

2. there is no getting told to do push-ups or up-downs if you do something wrong

3. you get the best living conditions in the states out of all the military, and over seas, when i was trying to figure out how to make a fan i bought work on 11o volts instead of 22o(thats what they use over there) to try to keep Motorcycles Unlimited cool in the crappy tents we had, they had a big "pop-up" tent that went up in less than 30 minutes that had a spot for an A/C unit, that they had.


reasons one and two r y they r *****-fied, but they do get all that, believe me, its alot. only bad thing about the AF, is you go up in rank slow
We don't need to be dropped on our face to realize we did something wrong... we arn't kids... we are grown adults.. doesn't take push ups to make me know I did something wrong. Im not that dense. Not every AF guy gets a/c when they get deployed... I deploy with the Army...and stay for 8-10 months..... sure wish I was a ***** like the rest of the AF...:laughing6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
deployments for the air force are only 4 months as well... actually that's a lie, they do a year. BUT, only 4 months in each place, then on to the next 4 months, then again... and then back home.

the benefit is that you only stay in a place like say afghanistan or iraq for 4 months. the downside is, if you get to germany... you can only have 4 months of drunken fun :(
Most regualr deployments for the AF are 3-6 months....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaz3d
Ok break down of the difference of the Air Force and the rest of the military......

1. Army/Navy/Marines all buy mission essential<sp> stuff. IE Runways, Hangers, HQ, CIC all that stuff. So they run out of money by time they get to living conditions and BX or PX bowling alleys, bars all that stuff.

2. The Air Force however builds all the Living conditions first along with bowling alleys, bars, living conditions....they run out of money...but what good is an Air Force Base without a runway and hangers....so they are granted more money for the "Mission" ready stuff.

:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6


On a more serious note :

You can't take anything ownage says seriously.. he has not been there personally.. he is going off what he has heard or been told....

Are you going to take what some guy making minimal wage and is a wanna be stunter seriously?

There is no way anyone can tell you how you'll like it... or hate it... or if you'll just be okay with it.. You might hate it where I freakin enjoy it... The military has it's ups and downs like any other job.. Sometimes I feel like I can't wait to get the fawk out... sometimes I freaking love it.. I love the experiance.. I love knowing I am in the military and how all my friends are back home going to community college while I am out doing something with my life.

Last edited by LowNSlowNeon; 07-27-2006 at 07:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #95
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already
 
Gimpin2Fold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,449












Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNSlowNeon




We don't need to be dropped on our face to realize we did something wrong... we arn't kids... we are grown adults.. doesn't take push ups to make me know I did something wrong. Im not that dense. Not every AF guy gets a/c when they get deployed... I deploy with the Army...and stay for 8-10 months..... sure wish I was a ***** like the rest of the AF...:laughing6




the only way i know of what the AF does is because they were deployed with us......and they had the nice tents with A/C.


not trying to diss you, like i said, if i woulda known, i woulda joined the AF
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #96
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






I was in the Air Force.
good stuff
all military branches re good stuff and its all what you make of it.
I say go in and have a great time and keep a good attitude, it will be an adventure like no other
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #97
train460
speed junky
 
train460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cypress Tx (cypress N Houston & jones)
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,379

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)






Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ARM1LEG
the only way i know of what the AF does is because they were deployed with us......and they had the nice tents with A/C.


not trying to diss you, like i said, if i woulda known, i woulda joined the AF
that is why they have the asvab.
Top scores go to the airforce then navy.
from then it's all down hill
but the army and marines need lots of sandbags too.

and remember that no matter how crappy the job u have it still has a cool name.
"Hey dad, what did u do in the service"?
"Well son i was a fuel distribution speacialist"
"what is that dad"?

"i pumped gas"
If u want to get money for college and see the world check into it.
ask the airforce recruter for a list of overseas bases.
Find out what kinda MOS has a signing bonus, etc.
later
Michael
__________________
A man opens the door for u not because he is polite. It's so he can check out your .
Michael Hansen
Cypress Tx
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #98
Phaz3d
UnPhaz3d
 
Phaz3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Shore
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 187


Bike(s):
06 ZX10 Yellow









Send a message via ICQ to Phaz3d Send a message via AIM to Phaz3d Send a message via Yahoo to Phaz3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by train460
that is why they have the asvab.
Top scores go to the airforce then navy.

That's not true. Depemds on the job you want not the service is what the asvab is for.
__________________
motohouston
http://www.myspace.com/phaz3d
Phaz3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #99
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already
 
Gimpin2Fold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,449












Quote:
Originally Posted by train460
that is why they have the asvab.
Top scores go to the airforce then navy.
from then it's all down hill
but the army and marines need lots of sandbags too.

YOU WISH, I DIDNT LOOK ANYWHERE ELSE, I WENT TO THE ARMY BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY HAD TO OFFER AND BECAUSE MY DAD WAS IN


BTW.....I SCORED A 117 ON THE ASVAB
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #100
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already
 
Gimpin2Fold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,449












heres how i rank military

USMC
ARMY
AF
NAVY
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy