MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
M@tt
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Once Again Our Tax Dollars

HOUSTON -- In recent weeks, the Toll Road Authority has discovered many single drivers are avoiding the toll on the Katy Freeway by slipping into the the HOV lane where the EZ-Tag cameras don't record their trip. Harris County says that is costing them thousands of dollars a day.

"It really upsets those people that are paying their toll and they're going downtown like they are supposed to and they're seeing people out here constantly cheating the system," said Cpt. Terry Albritton with Harris County Precinct 5.

There are strict rules in place for the two inside lanes of the Katy Freeway. One is a toll for EZ-Tag drivers, and the other is an HOV lane. It is only to be used by vehicles with two or more people inside.

"And they'll jump into the HOV lane to try to save a dollar or two on their way downtown," Albritton said.

Precinct 5 conducted a sting operation in which one investigator would sit up the freeway a bit and watch drivers through a pair of binoculars. When a single driver was found in the HOV lane trying to avoid the toll, the investigator would describe the vehicle over the police radio, and the driver would be forced to pull over.

"You are receiving a citation for failure to pay toll since you were in the wrong lane. I need to ask you a few questions," said one deputy working Wednesday morning.

There was a steady stream of violators found.

"The inside lane is HOV only. Do you have your insurance card with you?" a deputy asked the driver.

The Katy Freeway Managed Lanes are obviously designed to move motorists quickly, so when the Toll Road Authority conducts a sting operation, it tries to do it as efficiently as possible. But sometimes there are backups.

"Our challenge out here is to balance mobility with enforcement," Albritton said. "We think this method we use here seems to work best."

11 News saw a lot of drivers who were upset about the slowdown, and that's why the Toll Road Authority wanted us to get the message out about what is happening out here.

"And you wont see us out here every day doing this. We will come out here and do spot enforcement because, like I said earlier, we are not trying to make people late to work in the morning," said Albritton.

From the suburbs to downtown and back costs $8 a vehicle. One morning, in just a little over an hour, police said approximately 200 cars cheated the system. It all adds up.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax dollars at work DOA The Circus 64 11-30-2013 05:14 PM
Where your tax dollars go.... cedestech The Circus 0 10-07-2012 01:47 PM
TAX DOLLARS AT WORK FOR SOMETHING WE ALREADY KNEW...... paniro187 Off Topic 3 05-27-2011 08:19 PM
our tax dollars at work!!!! lisiecki1 Off Topic 15 06-04-2009 08:39 PM
Wasted tax dollars? Pyrofallout Off Topic 17 09-04-2008 01:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

That's roughly $416000 if that 200 traveled the toll/hov every day and skipped it every day. I ride that road. I pay my tolls. Tell them to buy a bike.. lol
Old 09-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
M@tt
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000

Yep, waiting for the tollway to be bike friendly.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Houstonbussa

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

???
Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tt View Post
Yep, waiting for the tollway to be bike friendly.
It is very motorcycle friendly. It is very nice when you ride the line.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
M@tt
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000

True, but I wouldn't try that on West Park Tollway. They will take your a** to jail.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
True, but I wouldn't try that on West Park Tollway. They will take your a** to jail.
Glad thats the other side of town. I don't usually do that, but I won't say I haven't either.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Houstonbussa

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Westpark, if you look in two lanes there's three readers.. so that you'll pay any ways.

What do you mean motorcycle friends tolls?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
HOUSTON -- In recent weeks, the Toll Road Authority has discovered many single drivers are avoiding the toll on the Katy Freeway by slipping into the the HOV lane where the EZ-Tag cameras don't record their trip. Harris County says that is costing them thousands of dollars a day.

"It really upsets those people that are paying their toll and they're going downtown like they are supposed to and they're seeing people out here constantly cheating the system," said Cpt. Terry Albritton with Harris County Precinct 5.

There are strict rules in place for the two inside lanes of the Katy Freeway. One is a toll for EZ-Tag drivers, and the other is an HOV lane. It is only to be used by vehicles with two or more people inside.

"And they'll jump into the HOV lane to try to save a dollar or two on their way downtown," Albritton said.

Precinct 5 conducted a sting operation in which one investigator would sit up the freeway a bit and watch drivers through a pair of binoculars. When a single driver was found in the HOV lane trying to avoid the toll, the investigator would describe the vehicle over the police radio, and the driver would be forced to pull over.

"You are receiving a citation for failure to pay toll since you were in the wrong lane. I need to ask you a few questions," said one deputy working Wednesday morning.

There was a steady stream of violators found.

"The inside lane is HOV only. Do you have your insurance card with you?" a deputy asked the driver.

The Katy Freeway Managed Lanes are obviously designed to move motorists quickly, so when the Toll Road Authority conducts a sting operation, it tries to do it as efficiently as possible. But sometimes there are backups.

"Our challenge out here is to balance mobility with enforcement," Albritton said. "We think this method we use here seems to work best."

11 News saw a lot of drivers who were upset about the slowdown, and that's why the Toll Road Authority wanted us to get the message out about what is happening out here.

"And you wont see us out here every day doing this. We will come out here and do spot enforcement because, like I said earlier, we are not trying to make people late to work in the morning," said Albritton.

From the suburbs to downtown and back costs $8 a vehicle. One morning, in just a little over an hour, police said approximately 200 cars cheated the system. It all adds up.
to begin with. "we are not supose to pay tolls, thats theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement